Depositing checks online WITHOUT phone apps

I said, “my credit union”, because credit unions tend to be local. In case anyone cares, it is iQ Credit Union in the Portland, OR area.

Thank you for adding the details travelover.

Regarding iqcu.com:

Do you know if the service (ie scanner based pc web deposit) is restricted to business accounts, or do they allow it for personal accounts also.

Thanks
gauss

I offered an option. Posts like this don’t foster the community, just the opposite. Listening to other thoughts is one way to learn.

And more importantly, this is old tech that will go away soon (and already has at most instituitions). Switch to a much better way or drive to the bank.

In an attempt to avoid this thread from turning into a discussion promoting the virtues of smartphone technology vs pcs, I will add two addition items that apply to me.

- I have tried phone bank deposits with multiple financial institutions and it has always ended in frustration after a couple of months.

- I only pay ~ $5 month for smart phone service with a data plan. Those who pay significantly more for cell phone plans may have less of an issue with this.

To be fair, the above may have prompted some of the posts about using smartphones for mobile deposits. Since I - and obviously many others - have had no recurring issues with using mobile deposit, I don't think the posts discussing the lack of such problems were a total waste of Internet molecules.

I offered an option. Posts like this don’t foster the community, just the opposite. Listening to other thoughts is one way to learn.

+1

It seems like the OP appreciated my post (since he replied and said "Thanks").

To put it another way, let's get this thread back to the topic of the question the OP actually asked, instead of continuing to suggest and comment on the opposite of what was asked.

You have a whopping 31 posts under your belt in just over 2 years and you're telling the rest of us how and what to post here? :facepalm:

Thank you for adding the details travelover.

Regarding iqcu.com:

Do you know if the service (ie scanner based pc web deposit) is restricted to business accounts, or do they allow it for personal accounts also.

Thanks

gauss

I only have a personal account, no business account and deposit checks via scanner. IQ also pays 2.5% on checking if you have a regular deposit there like SS or a pension check.

I used to be able to deposit checks online with my scanner at US Bank. Sometime last year they eliminated the web based deposit system, so now I have to use my cell phone if I want to deposit a check from home. I've only deposited one check that way so far.

Most of the time I deposit checks at the ATM in town. I don't receive checks enough for that to be an issue.

You have a whopping 31 posts under your belt in just over 2 years and you're telling the rest of us how and what to post here? :facepalm:

The fact remains that they brought up a good point. This isn't the City Data forum; some folks that have 10 or less posts here often bring better information than some folks that have 10,000+ posts. :)

What checks are being deposited by all you ER folks that boast about never writing/receiving checks anymore? :confused:

My winnings from two fantasy football pools - two years in a row! :dance:

I'm really surprised these guys only work with personal checks (I had to find my checkbook to send them buy-in checks in the fall.)

Just mark them deposited, with the date. Keep 'em maybe until you see them on the monthly statement (online or paper), or end of year, or just shred 'em - whatever.

I hate putting things in the mail. Things can get lost, so you really need to track it or you might miss it. Mobile deposit is near real time feedback.

I just bought some parts to refurbish a 1931 Lionel Tin-plate locomotive. A few guys have a business in supplying these parts to hobbyists. I go through the online ordering process, then... print the order form, and mail it in with a check!?

Haven't seen the check clear, it's been a couple weeks, I guess I have to email him to see if he got my order. Feels like the dark ages.

-ERD50

He probably doesn't have a phone to deposit the check with ... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Alliant credit union https://www.alliantcreditunion.org accepts online deposits from scanned checked images, which I have made from a flatbed scanner. It has been simplified and improved over the years, but I have fewer checks to deposit in recent years. I've had only one or two a year in recent years, the last in Nov. 2019.

Thank your for this one.

As it turns out I currently do have a small balance savings account at Alliant CU, and it appears activated for their EdepositPlus 'scan at home' service.

-gauss

I only have a personal account, no business account and deposit checks via scanner. IQ also pays 2.5% on checking if you have a regular deposit there like SS or a pension check.

Thank you for the clarification, travelover.
-gauss

Fidelity's works the same. It almost foolproof.

While the Fidelity phone app does generally work well, when things go wrong, it is very irritating.

I had a mobile check deposit rejected by Fidelity in December. The email notification of the rejection was that Fidelity does not accept third party checks. However, the check was made out to me. IRL, I go by my middle name. Many checks I get are made out to my middle name and last name. After way too much time on the phone, a Fido rep kept insisting that the check was not made out to me , but rather to someone else. Finally got a supervisor that stated that Fido would not take this “third party” check unless it was made out to my first and last name. Fido has some magic limit that, for mobile deposits above that amount have to have the EXACT first and last name on the account. For lower amounts, they don’t care.

Ended up having to get the check reissued because no other bank would take the check since it was endorsed payable only to Fido. Sigh.

One thing I like about Alliant Credit Union is that they do not require a special endorsement like "for deposit only" or "mobile deposit". If this were required, I'd consider endorsing a COPY of the back of the check, so that the real check would be "clean" in case I had to deposit it somewhere else after it was rejected.

Many banks do not accept mail deposits any longer (and most of those that do are working to discontinue it). .

Wow! Really? I’ve never heard that before and couldn’t find any verification via google.

I find the Mobil deposit apps to be inconsistent. I confess my hands may not be very steady, but all my pictures are in focus. I have 3 of apps that I use infrequently. Sometimes the app returns an error and I have to retake the pic several times even though I cannot detect any difference between the rejected and accepted pics. My phone is old but I do have fingerprint login.

Folks,
I am trying to compile a list of financial institutions that allow online deposit of checks WITHOUT using a mobile phone app.

This would be accomplished with only a flatbed scanner and a PC (ie windows / Mac / Linux etc) with a web browser.
2) Ally Bank
(https://www.ally.com/help/bank/deposits.html -- support listed under "What is Ally eCheck Deposit?"

a) Here is the interface to the online eCheck. Looks like you just upload a picture. (below image).

b) Several minutes ago I used their Ally Android (samsung, pixel, etc) App to deposit a check and it was **excellent**. You just put the check on a dark surface in decent light and center it in the rectangle. IT *auto* focuses and auto-takes the picture for you. It worked great for the front and the back. It was *many* times easier than the Chase app that makes you take the picture yourself after trying to get it aligned just right. Ally's developers did this right. I think you'd find it very friendly.

GU9rjy1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom