Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about you harlee. When we reflect on how very much our lives have changed, each of us having our own individual circumstances, it's understandable there are times of feeling somewhat depressed about it all. Being a caretaker and the worries that come with that can certainly add to that feeling.
I maintain my bayfront condo I purchased in 2017 saved my sanity the last couple of years. At least I could go to a place with a different view-The Chesapeake Bay. And while I still social distanced for the most part, it is a different community, different people with dolphins frolicking in the Bay-different from my primary home. And we have had snow and ice here too. I don't go much during Jan, Feb, or March (except to flush toilets and change any batteries that are beeping) since it is brutal bay front with winds and cold.

Walking my dog and walks get me out of the house, going to the library to pick up a book as do weekly errands (which amounts to the grocery store, drugstore or Lowes/Home Depot, etc.) Connecting with friends and family on the phone and seeing my grandchildren, Daughter and Son-in-law "some" helps as well. I give myself daily "pep talks" reminding myself this surge will end one day, they will find therapeutics, we will go back to some semblance of normal.

Take care of yourself!

harllee, I don't have any advice that could possibly be better than anything than has already been offered, but I do feel for you. The only time in my life I have suffered from depression, was after my knee replacement, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The best way I can describe it, is as a sort of general malaise and existential misery. It was awful.

In the midst of it, the things that really helped were the moments of connection with others. Sometimes, those interactions came in completely unexpected places, and from people I didn't even know. I was surprised by how a simple gesture, or a few kind words, even from strangers, could give me the lift I needed to get through the day. They gave me hope.

The advice to get out whenever you can, to change your surroundings, and get some exercise, are all good. They work for all of us. You're an extrovert by nature, so look for those connections and interactions wherever you can. You can do this. We are all here for you!

Sunset I am interested in the chicken and olives recipe can you post it?

Here it is:

Chicken with Oranges Fennel and Green Olives
Ingredients
• 1 bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced (next time use 2 bulbs)
• 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
• ⅔ cup pitted green olives, halved
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon Maras pepper (or substitute 2 teaspoons paprika plus 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes)
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt (I went easy on this as olives are salty)
• Cracked black pepper
• 1 orange, cut into eighths, but not peeled (I sliced my orange).
• 8 smallish (about 5 ounces each) bone-in chicken thighs (I used bone in, skin on chicken drumsticks.)
Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Combine the fennel, onion, olives, garlic, Maras pepper and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss gently. Spread this mixture in a 9-by-12-inch baking dish or disposable foil pan and scatter orange sections on top. (I lined my baking sheet with tinfoil for easy cleanup)
3. Add the chicken and remaining tablespoon of oil to the now-empty bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place thighs on top of fennel mixture, skin side down.
4. Roast on a sheet pan instead at bake it at 400 for 45 minutes minutes
5. Serve with crusty bread or couscous to soak up the juices. (there is no real juice, I served with microwaved baked potatoes)

Options reviewers said:
I think I'd go easier on the salt, as the olives are salty. Also. I added pomegranate seeds after baking to add a bit of acid and brightness to the dish. Great with basmati rice.

I served with orange rice - zest of one orange 3 parts chicken broth to one part orange juice to 1/2 part rice. I will keep for company when I want to impress but have little time.

Harllee, first of all it's a depressing situation..it's been almost two years with no real end in site. Everyone is different but being depressed about a situation is not the same as being in a depression and needing medication.

Are you sleeping well? Feeling like you are the gatekeeper for others can really wear on you. Feeling like you have to be hyper vigilant can be exhausting. From many of your past posts, I know this is who you are. I know it's who I am.

I have more to share I'll PM you in the next day or two

Take care..

I find that planning and executing a project can improve my mood. First, I do the research to find out how to do it and what stuff I'll need. Then I assemble the equipment and supplies, which may require further research and shopping on-line. And finally, I give it a whirl. It doesn't need to be a big project, just something new that maybe you had a passing thought about once or twice and now have the opportunity to go further with it. The time and energy I devote to my projects diverts me from my concerns about everything else going on in the world.

My latest project is making pastrami out of a plain beef brisket. I am really looking forward to a perfect Reuben sandwich in another week to ten days. The young wife decided that she would learn to make pierogi's and made them for the first time last night. Little things, but they keep us happy.

I just saw this song on Youtube. It's a family singing about their own unhappiness with life during the pandemic. I love it! If you don't, shut it down but for me, well, it put a big smile on my face and made me want to hug all of them. So, with the intent of spreading big smiles..... :

I just saw this song on Youtube. It's a family singing about their own unhappiness with life during the pandemic. I love it! If you don't, shut it down but for me, well, it put a big smile on my face and made me want to hug all of them. So, with the intent of spreading big smiles..... :

Loved it and it made me laugh. They had surprisingly good voices.

Reactions: W2R
W2R, thanks! That was great!

Here’s another “What we’ve been doing during Covid” YouTube production. This is “The Princess Bride”, scene by scene, made by well known actors with idle time and stuck at home. A real treat for fans of the film.

Last edited:
Wishing you the best Harllee.
I can tell from your posts that you are a very caring person.

I am a extrovert and generally a happy person but this virus has really made life difficult. I helped my mom care for my dad for 14 years so I know caregiving is exhausting. I have been experiencing depression because of my divorce a year ago. I never thought I would be divorced again. My son went to Mexico for 3 months and I am alone except for my dogs. I alternate between staying home and going out for socializing. I worry about my ability to take care of myself if I get omicron. Sending hugs. I totally understand how you feel.

I'm sorry to hear about our depression. Unfortunately, depression and anxiety have increased significantly throughout this pandemic. You have a lot of pressure on you. There is lot of good advice in this thread, much of which is helpful to boost mood. Consider meeting with a psychologist to help you through this difficult time. Short-term use of medication may also be helpful to boost your mood and energy enough to use your coping skills and regulate sleep cycle. Remember to engage in good self-care and self-compassion.

Many good suggestions here. I have always been very active but that stopped a number of years ago after multiple surgeries and it has had the effect of being depressed. Fortunately the one thing I can still do is ride a recumbent trike (no more bicycles) in my small town where a lot of people get out and walk. Getting exercise early in the morning with a beautiful sunrise and seeing owls, hawks, raccoons, possums and squirrels and getting a "Good morning" from the walkers puts a smile on my face and helps tremendously. If I see children with their mom I put a red foam ball on my nose and wave to them. They love the trike I ride and it's great to see their expressions.

My wife had major surgery on her shoulder and has to be sedentary for 6 more weeks and then it will be awhile before she can play tennis again (she has no other interests). She is depressed too. Occasionally she can find a friend that is still able to go for walks with her. So that helps quite a bit. i can tell when she is feeling better because I stop being the focus of her attention because she is bored. :D
Other than getting out in the sun for some exercise I would recommend that you not drink any alcohol. I doesn't help and tends to make things worse when you are down.

I lost my best friend of more than 50 years who was medicating and seeing a psychiatrist. Unfortunately he was also trying to solve his depression with vodka and opiates. It didn't help.
Looking forward to reading that you are feeling better.

Cheers! (only with a fruit smoothie)

Thanks Badger, I am feeling better today--the snow is melting and while I can't play golf yet I have been out walking the last couple of days and that improves my spirits. Don't worry--I drink very little alcohol so that will not be an issue for me, but I know that can be a problem for people who are depressed.

I have talked all this over with DH and he admits feeling depressed too and also guilty that he is keeping me from doing things I love. I probably would be out and about more if DH did not have health problems but I told him I loved him more than all these other things. We both agreed we would make a renewed effort to get out of the house and take some small risks and see friends. We hope our Church will reopen soon and we can go--fully masked and social distanced. That will mean a lot to us.

harllee,
Lots of good suggestions here. My wife and I were caretakers of her father for four years before he died with Alzheimer's. We always reserved Friday evenings for just ourselves and found that helped. He called us quite frequently, so on Friday evening for a few hours we would leave a message on our answering machine for him saying we were out and would be back by a certain hour. Then, we would have dinner or just go for a walk. It helped us to stay sane and ensured that we could be our best for him.

Although one evening his calling us to ask the same question for the 30th time within 2 hours hit our limit. We always answered the 'phone when he called; otherwise he would panic that something awful happened to us. Poor man. So, we got in the car, drove to the nearest freeway and, with the windows rolled up, both screamed for a good minute or so! This cleared out our pent up frustration and gave us a good laugh when we were done. We were able to go back home and resume our loving, accepting responses to him as we helped him to face our common enemy--the illness that had made him its victim.

I hope you can find your own ways to stay strong.

-BB

Thanks Badger, I am feeling better today--the snow is melting and while I can't play golf yet I have been out walking the last couple of days and that improves my spirits. Don't worry--I drink very little alcohol so that will not be an issue for me, but I know that can be a problem for people who are depressed.

I have talked all this over with DH and he admits feeling depressed too and also guilty that he is keeping me from doing things I love. I probably would be out and about more if DH did not have health problems but I told him I loved him more than all these other things. We both agreed we would make a renewed effort to get out of the house and take some small risks and see friends. We hope our Church will reopen soon and we can go--fully masked and social distanced. That will mean a lot to us.
That put a smile on my face this morning. Glad to hear you are getting out in the sunshine. Keep wearing your masks and social distancing to stay safe.

Cheers!

Good to hear, harllee. Getting out of the house and a change in scenery always helps me. If you and your friends all wear masks and stay distanced, that decreases the risk, while increasing the happiness of being with others!

Take care, one day at a time. Spring will be here before you know it, making it easier to be out and about.

Good to hear, harllee. Getting out of the house and a change in scenery always helps me. If you and your friends all wear masks and stay distanced, that decreases the risk, while increasing the happiness of being with others!

Take care, one day at a time. Spring will be here before you know it, making it easier to be out and about.

That's one of the problems--most of our friends don't wear good masks (just the thin cloth ones). They are all vaccinated and boosted but no one is being very careful now even though they are 70 plus and most have some sort of health issue. I am the healthiest person in our group of friends by far. Everyone was very cautious at first but the motto among our friends lately seems to be that "everyone is going to get Covid so why even try to avoid it." I think people have just given up. At some point I will probably give up too.

I've had to fight against depression as well. The issues surrounding Covid - especially draconian travel restrictions has probably been the worst issue I've faced. We're all different in what sets us off so YMMV.

The worst has happened --90 year old mother (vaxxed and boosted) is sick and tested positive for Covid. I posted on the Covid near home thread for suggestions. Now my depression has turned over to panic, trying to figure out what to do.

The worst has happened --90 year old mother (vaxxed and boosted) is sick and tested positive for Covid. I posted on the Covid near home thread for suggestions. Now my depression has turned over to panic, trying to figure out what to do.

Our thoughts are with you.

Maybe get her a prescription for those pills that block the virus as I'm sure she qualifies due to her age.
Issue will be finding a pharmacy that has some. Need a doctor prescription, but maybe you can get it for her over the phone ?

Take a deep breath. You need to take care of your self first. Engage your Moms CCRC medical personnel to help if you can.

My prayers are with you and your mom
Take Care.

I have talked to DM's doctor office today--there is very limited therapy available. There is no availability of the new antiviral pills. There is only one antibody test that works for Omicron--they are trying to find that for DM but unlikely. So far she has no breathing problems, thank heavens. Doctor's office says if she develops breathing difficulties she should go to the emergency room but not the local one, there is no room. The CCRC is overrun with cases. Many positive cases in her building and also the staff even though everyone was vaxxed and boosted. I think it spread because they had gone back to communal eating-- they did that because everyone was so lonely stuck in their apartments. Of course now the dining rooms are shut again. Prayer appreciated.

I have talked to DM's doctor office today--there is very limited therapy available. There is no availability of the new antiviral pills. There is only one antibody test that works for Omicron--they are trying to find that for DM but unlikely. So far she has no breathing problems, thank heavens. Doctor's office says if she develops breathing difficulties she should go to the emergency room but not the local one, there is no room. The CCRC is overrun with cases. Many positive cases in her building and also the staff even though everyone was vaxxed and boosted. I think it spread because they had gone back to communal eating-- they did that because everyone was so lonely stuck in their apartments. Of course now the dining rooms are shut again. Prayer appreciated.

Oh harllee, I am so sorry to read that your DM has Covid! :( Our hearts are with you. You are doing all the right things - - checking with her doctor, finding out what symptoms to look for, where to take her if things get worse, and what tests and treatments are available. Hang in there! And know we care. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom