Did You Enjoy That Soup?

:confused:

Is this some NYC urban slang?

Lol, no its a thick soup. But it takes hours to prepare.https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...Ewi5-ePgkoLVAhXl7YMKHYoNCygQ9QEIKjAA..i&w=620 When I make it I get a plastic package of split pea beans, then you have to sort them(pick out the small stones, dirt, discolored ones), then rinse them several times, then cut up carrots,onions, salt pepper, wash, peel, cut up potatoes, then slowly cook. Then you need cubes of ham, and if you have a ham bone left over from some thing that gets put in the pot. In the pre FIRE days I used hot dogs cut up, when they were on sale for .99 cents. Now Ill stick to ham cubes.

Last edited:
Some doctors where my sister used to work would say that my mom lived all her years since she ate old crap all the time.. not just at buffets, but would eat old cereal, meat, milk etc. etc...

She grew up during the depression and would hardly throw anything away.... if bread was moldy, cut out the mold and eat the rest!!! :facepalm:

That's my husband's best friend in UK. He ate old stuff. Refused to throw out an outdated pickled onion jar, 2 years old. He is still healthy.

My sense of smell and taste are not the best. I've drank curdled milk only to have DW tell me it was curdled when she got a glass 2 minutes after I finished mine. Not to waste coffe filters (I only make 2 cups at a time), I keep adding grounds until the filter is full. Went away for the weekend and in the dark, made my coffee Monday morning. Tasted a little off. By the time I got ready for w*rk, it was daylight. Went to make coffee for the commute and realized there was about an inch of mold in the filter. That would explain it. Sarachi, horseradish, wasabi and Korean red pepper paste goes on just about everything.:D

I had a little bit of an issue while traveling at a salad bar. At the time I thought it was bad. Hah!

Nothing like 3 days in the bathroom and 3 days in the gastrointestinal unit of the hospital.

That was from a nice restaurant in KC that was proud of the homade mayo. I didn't touch mayo for well over a year after that.

That's my husband's best friend in UK. He ate old stuff. Refused to throw out an outdated pickled onion jar, 2 years old. He is still healthy.

That was the same with both our sets of parents. My MIL and FIL died within 6 months of one another we spent a month clearing out their house. We found loads of out of date foods, the record being 2 plastic bags of almonds, one of them open and both bags were 23 years past their "Best Buy" dates.

My dad started down the coal mines at age 14 in 1939 and was an underground coal miner for 42 years. There were no washing facilities down the pit where they lived, shared their space with pit ponies and ate from their "bait boxes". He never got sick and was still eating high fat food when he died at age 84. I don't think he even knew that food had sell by dates on them.

This is the benefit of having grown up in squalor ... I have a very robust immune system.

I am not a germaphobe, but when we went on a 32 day cruise, the last thing I wanted was Norovirus. I brought along a spray can of Lysol#3, and when the steward opened our cabin door the first thing I did was spray the door handles. I then proceeded into the cabin where I sprayed the phones, TV remote, drawer handles, and just about everything in the bathroom.
Apparently that worked, because we did not come down with anything, fortunately.

If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. And most of the nasty infectious diseases are now vaccinated against or chlorinated to death. The growing use of fecal transplant to treat a variety of conditions suggests that you could do worse than eating poo!

That was the same with both our sets of parents. My MIL and FIL died within 6 months of one another we spent a month clearing out their house. We found loads of out of date foods, the record being 2 plastic bags of almonds, one of them open and both bags were 23 years past their "Best Buy" dates...

Did you try a 23-year-old almond to see what it tasted like? I might, if there was no sign of insects burrowing through them. Often that happens.

This reminds me of my opened bag that I have had for a few months. Munching some right now.

IIRC, I have come down with "food poisoning" 3 times in the last 40 years. Singapore, Belgium and Israel. 3 countries that are about as western as you can get when not in the US.

Just to prove it can happen anywhere, I've had food poisoning three times in the last 25 years: Missouri, Colorado, and Iowa.

That was the same with both our sets of parents. My MIL and FIL died within 6 months of one another we spent a month clearing out their house. We found loads of out of date foods, the record being 2 plastic bags of almonds, one of them open and both bags were 23 years past their "Best Buy" dates.

My dad started down the coal mines at age 14 in 1939 and was an underground coal miner for 42 years. There were no washing facilities down the pit where they lived, shared their space with pit ponies and ate from their "bait boxes". He never got sick and was still eating high fat food when he died at age 84. I don't think he even knew that food had sell by dates on them.

Your post reminds of Sting, another favorite DVD in my household. His father was a coal miner too. His DVD is one reason I visited Durham Cathedral. I don't know if he's from Durham or not, but most likely the surrounding area.

My husband's best friend is from the Blackpool area, he told me it's a poor area. His mom lived until 94 or close to it. I bet he picks up some of these habits from his parents.

Last edited:

Oh my.
When my sisters and I visited Mom and Dad(both born in '17) during their last independent years, first inspection was the fridge and cupboard. Oh my, there were different foods we had gifted them years prior, all well past the dates.

DS asked me about a bottle of ketchup in the fridge, with no date. It was brown! It was US ketchup(Heinz, Hunts..) Not UK or specialty ketchup.

I asked when she last saw brown ketchup?

Did you try a 23-year-old almond to see what it tasted like? I might, if there was no sign of insects burrowing through them. Often that happens.

This reminds me of my opened bag that I have had for a few months. Munching some right now.
Some nuts lose the taste after a while. But I just finished my gluten free pasta box that was expired a few months ago. I didn't tell my husband. Haha. He seemed to enjoy it with the spaghetti bolognaise.
I don't like throwing food away.

I hope a lot of people see this thread and avoid the salad bar soup. Then there should be some left when I get there.

I had a little bit of an issue while traveling at a salad bar. At the time I thought it was bad. Hah!

Nothing like 3 days in the bathroom and 3 days in the gastrointestinal unit of the hospital.

That was from a nice restaurant in KC that was proud of the homade mayo. I didn't touch mayo for well over a year after that.

Yeah, that would make me a believer too

I am not a germaphobe, but when we went on a 32 day cruise, the last thing I wanted was Norovirus. I brought along a spray can of Lysol#3, and when the steward opened our cabin door the first thing I did was spray the door handles. I then proceeded into the cabin where I sprayed the phones, TV remote, drawer handles, and just about everything in the bathroom.
Apparently that worked, because we did not come down with anything, fortunately.
Nice, I would do the same thing.

Some nuts lose the taste after a while. But I just finished my gluten free pasta box that was expired a few months ago. I didn't tell my husband. Haha. He seemed to enjoy it with the spaghetti bolognaise.
I don't like throwing food away.

Dry staples like pasta and rice last a long long time. Never mind a few months, I say even a few years will not degrade them. A decade or two even. :angel:

Wet food like ketchup or mayo is something else, even if refrigerated. I would be wary of them if opened for a few months.

PS. If insects like weevils get into your grains, forget it.

Weevils-on-Food-Grains.jpg

Last edited:
I have been to China about 20 times. Always have been with Chinese clients, so I eat from the communal platters with chopsticks. 10 to 20 people digging in. Chopsticks go from mouth to food to mouth, repeat. In all that time, I do not recall ever getting sick. I think I am more exposed to germs on the 14 hour plane flight.

IIRC, I have come down with "food poisoning" 3 times in the last 40 years. Singapore, Belgium and Israel. 3 countries that are about as western as you can get when not in the US.

So, I can take the risk at the soup and salad bar.:D

If That was me ,I would come down with every ailment those 20 chop sticks had on them :LOL:

If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. And most of the nasty infectious diseases are now vaccinated against or chlorinated to death. The growing use of fecal transplant to treat a variety of conditions suggests that you could do worse than eating poo!

I agree with the first sentence, Im unlucky, I dont want the "if it doesn't kill you part" to apply to me.:D

:confused:

Is this some NYC urban slang?

OK All this talk about me not getting my split pea with ham soup pushed me to brave the rain and run(not really just a fast walk) down the block to the store. I just bought the ingredients. Although they had a different brand of split peas, I googled the brand I grew up with and found the recipe:dance: its a 4 hour cook, not counting the cleaning of the ingredients. https://foodfolio.net/recipes/12036/jack-rabbit-split-pea-soup/. I do not have a ham bone. I got a thick ham steak Ill cube it.

Last edited:
As Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich’s fictional detective) noted, if what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, Trenton New Jersey is raising a crop of supermen. I think the same must apply to NYC. Surely air that has been filtered through so many millions of lungs and water filtered through so many kidneys must be incredibly healthful.

Back
Top Bottom