Did You Enjoy That Soup?

Just to prove it can happen anywhere, I've had food poisoning three times in the last 25 years: Missouri, Colorado, and Iowa.

Good point. It can happen anywhere, and usually not from something you suspect (OK, I would avoid mayonnaise sitting out in the sun). In Belgium two of us got sick, and we had entirely different meals. Clearly something wrong in the kitchen.

Bottom line: I take my chances and enjoy different food.

PS. Since I live in MO, where did you have the problem:D

PS. Since I live in MO, where did you have the problem:D

It was nearly 25 years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but a very good hotel in KC. The other two were also at hotel restaurants. I tend to avoid them these days and go to freestanding restaurants (and yes, I know I'm kidding myself).

I have been to China about 20 times. Always have been with Chinese clients, so I eat from the communal platters with chopsticks. 10 to 20 people digging in. Chopsticks go from mouth to food to mouth, repeat. In all that time, I do not recall ever getting sick. I think I am more exposed to germs on the 14 hour plane flight.

I have also been to China many times and have had these dinners. I always try ("try" is the operative word) to find a spot in each dish where no one else's chopsticks have been and pick from there :).

I have never gotten sick from that. But my picking around may explain why I have never gained weight on those trips :LOL:.

DD made me toss out the mayo last week just because the Best Buy date was 2011.
I was eating the grocery store soup while I was staying with DGF at hospice. It's quick and easy and usually more nutritious than other available options.
I also like to splurge calorie wise at the Chinese buffet never had a problem. Wendy's used to have a taco bar I enjoyed until I stopped one Saturday and saw the little league team attack the food. That was it for taco bar at Wendy's

I was out of town on business in Missouri back in the 80's or so and the small town had limited eating options. I decided to go the local Pizza Hut as they had a pretty decent salad bar (back when they were the main draw in the middle of the dining room). As I sat waiting for the waitress I saw a mouse go up the table leg and eat lettuce from the large bowl. Then it went on to the cheese, etc. People would go up to get salad and it would scamper down the leg. They would leave and it would resume its dinner. When the waitress came I said I think I'll have pizza. I told her about the mouse and she reacted like it was a favored customer.

DD made me toss out the mayo last week just because the Best Buy date was 2011.
I was eating the grocery store soup while I was staying with DGF at hospice. It's quick and easy and usually more nutritious than other available options.
I also like to splurge calorie wise at the Chinese buffet never had a problem. Wendy's used to have a taco bar I enjoyed until I stopped one Saturday and saw the little league team attack the food. That was it for taco bar at Wendy's

Sorry about your DGF, I would eat that soup too. But ty for the Wendy's:LOL: post hahahaha

I was out of town on business in Missouri back in the 80's or so and the small town had limited eating options. I decided to go the local Pizza Hut as they had a pretty decent salad bar (back when they were the main draw in the middle of the dining room). As I sat waiting for the waitress I saw a mouse go up the table leg and eat lettuce from the large bowl. Then it went on to the cheese, etc. People would go up to get salad and it would scamper down the leg. They would leave and it would resume its dinner. When the waitress came I said I think I'll have pizza. I told her about the mouse and she reacted like it was a favored customer.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Your post reminds of Sting, another favorite DVD in my household. His father was a coal miner too. His DVD is one reason I visited Durham Cathedral. I don't know if he's from Durham or not, but most likely the surrounding area.

My husband's best friend is from the Blackpool area, he told me it's a poor area. His mom lived until 94 or close to it. I bet he picks up some of these habits from his parents.

Gordon and I grew up together. I taught him how to sing.

When in Durham Cathedral did you see the Washington family crest carved in stone above one of the doors?

OK All this talk about me not getting my split pea with ham soup pushed me to brave the rain and run(not really just a fast walk) down the block to the store. I just bought the ingredients. Although they had a different brand of split peas, I googled the brand I grew up with and found the recipe:dance: its a 4 hour cook, not counting the cleaning of the ingredients. https://foodfolio.net/recipes/12036/jack-rabbit-split-pea-soup/. I do not have a ham bone. I got a thick ham steak Ill cube it.

I know all about split pea soup, I grew up eating lots of it. What I was referring to in your post was when the "willy" was added, and what is "willy" in NYC? Where Sting and I come from a "willy" is very unhygienic.

Im a little confused, you started a thread about poop on lemons in 2008, and my from thread about poop soup should be ignored? What am I missing here:confused:?:LOL:

I'm relatively new here.

Is poop talk a "thing" among the early retirement crowd? If so, why?

I'm relatively new here.

Is poop talk a "thing" among the early retirement crowd? If so, why?

Only among the fearful, who spend so much of their time looking for poop to avoid that they miss the glory of the world around them :cool:

As a species, we've made through hundreds of thousands of years with, let's say, less than good health practices. We can't be that fragile!
Growing up, our neighbor was a germophobe with her kids. Even today, they're the sickest people you'd ever meet. My mom subscribed to the 'get dirty and build up your immunity' school.

OTOH, I almost died from sepsis a few years ago (really) so I do have a real, true and new appreciation for sanitation.

Some nuts lose the taste after a while. But I just finished my gluten free pasta box that was expired a few months ago. I didn't tell my husband. Haha. He seemed to enjoy it with the spaghetti bolognaise.
I don't like throwing food away.

Interesting turn of phrase, as most gluten-free foods I have had tasted like a cardboard box...

Growing up, our neighbor was a germophobe with her kids. Even today, they're the sickest people you'd ever meet. My mom subscribed to the 'get dirty and build up your immunity' school.

One of the sayings passed down on my Moms side of the family is "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you're ten"

My grandmother used to say "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die". On the bright side, if I kept my dirt intake down low, I might live a long life. On the dark side, if I didn't watch myself I might consume it all while still young and then I'd be in trouble. :facepalm:

I asked her how much a peck was but she wasn't very clear on that.

Later I found out that it's a quarter of a bushel. I could relate to that because many things (apples, potatoes, etc.) still came in bushel baskets when I was a kid.

More precisely, a peck would be 2 gallons, although it's really a dry measure.

Gordon and I grew up together. I taught him how to sing.

When in Durham Cathedral did you see the Washington family crest carved in stone above one of the doors?

I know all about split pea soup, I grew up eating lots of it. What I was referring to in your post was when the "willy" was added, and what is "willy" in NYC? Where Sting and I come from a "willy" is very unhygienic.

Hahahah, I thought you never heard of the soup ,hahahah, I had a willy in my area means wanting something

Interesting turn of phrase, as most gluten-free foods I have had tasted like a cardboard box...
I agree with the pasta in that box until we discovered fresh gluten pasta from supermarket like Bristol Farms.

Seems that im in the minority in here, I wash my hands a lot. I wash my fruits and vegetables before I eat them, I dont taste a grape in the store to "test" their ripeness etc. I wash my hands after I use the restroom. To the brave souls that told me they dont worry about this stuff, I just draw the line in the sand a bit earlier on this subject. I believe I tempted fate in my old life, I dont want to rush things now

Last edited:
I definitely wash my hands a lot. I believe it's the biggest thing you can do to avoid catching a cold or something worse.

But I have to admit I'm kind of laid back about the rest of it.

Seems that im in the minority in here, I wash my hands a lot. I wash my fruits and vegetables before I eat them, I dont taste a grape in the store to "test" their ripeness etc. I wash my hands after I use the restroom. To the brave souls that told me they dont worry about this stuff, I just draw the line in the sand a bit earlier on this subject.
I do too. I'm extra careful about everything. But when I eat out. I let go of that fear. Plus I don't use the antibacterial hand satnizer a lot either. None. I rarely get sick, even when I surround by a lot of sick people. No flu shots here ever.
Some time, you just need to enjoy life. I think it's guarded against bad things too.

Ive been wanting this soup for a while, ever since the supermarket conversation with my mother in law. So since I started this thread I had an ever stronger want/desire(willy) for it:D. Its all prepped and now the 4 hour cook has started. I guess this delayed gratification is how I always lived my life, Ill wait till the time is right and do it. The consumption of my soup will be delayed by one more day hahaha, today is Wednesday, as a habit I dont eat meat on Wednesdays and Fridays. I do on occasion by forgetting what day of the week it is!(love this retired life). As usual I want to thank everyone for their input and insight into everyone's different life styles and opinions. It seems we all took a different path, but we all arrived at the finish line, I am grateful to be among the FIRE'd:). Ill give an update on the soup Thursday night

Your post reminds of Sting, another favorite DVD in my household. His father was a coal miner too. His DVD is one reason I visited Durham Cathedral. I don't know if he's from Durham or not, but most likely the surrounding area.

Sting is actually from Northumberland, but still quite close to County Durham. George Washington's family came from County Durham, even though his great grandfather left for Virginia from Hertfordshire. In the town of Washington, County Durham, they celebrate Independence Day every year in the old town hall.

There is a plaque to John Washington in Durham Cathedral as he used to be Prior in the 15th century. Maybe you saw it while you were there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_Tyne_and_Wear

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 11
My mom, whenever she'd see garbage on the side of the road would call the city to complain. Which was often.

I wonder if they knew who she was when calling.

Sting is actually from Northumberland, but still quite close to County Durham. George Washington's family came from County Durham, even though his great grandfather left for Virginia from Hertfordshire. In the town of Washington, County Durham, they celebrate Independence Day every year in the old town hall.

There is a plaque to John Washington in Durham Cathedral as he used to be Prior in the 15th century. Maybe you saw it while you were there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_Tyne_and_Wear

Cool, I didn't see the plague when I was there, there was a lot of maintenance work going on. Interesting, we did pay for a tour guide( GBP 5) and nothing was mentioned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom