Did You Enjoy That Soup?

.......... I dont taste a grape in the store to "test" their ripeness etc.

Well, how else are you supposed to do this then? I just did this yesterday and if you don't (around here, anyway), you can by some awful sour grapes.

I give them the squeeze test, then pop in in my mouth and try it.

Yeah! Whenever I open a jar of caviar in the store to test its freshness, you should see the looks I get. :facepalm:

I mean, they're eggs, right? And eggs have a limited shelf life, right?
So why shouldn't one be able to dip a spoon in (you do carry a caviar spoon just in case don't you?) and check it out before buying?
:LOL:

All kidding aside, this is the recommended buying method:
Serious Eats Guide: How To Buy Caviar

Well, how else are you supposed to do this then? I just did this yesterday and if you don't (around here, anyway), you can by some awful sour grapes.

I give them the squeeze test, then pop in in my mouth and try it.

Hahahah, I dont eat unwashed grapes as per my previous post!:LOL:

Yeah! Whenever I open a jar of caviar in the store to test its freshness, you should see the looks I get. :facepalm:

I mean, they're eggs, right? And eggs have a limited shelf life, right?
So why shouldn't one be able to dip a spoon in (you do carry a caviar spoon just in case don't you?) and check it out before buying?
:LOL:

All kidding aside, this is the recommended buying method:
Serious Eats Guide: How To Buy Caviar

+1 I read this a few years ago

OK, soup has been in the fridge overnight, they flavors have meshed , it is now on the stove top on low, Full report to follow.

Pictures and recipe, please.;)

The recipe is a ground ball. The pic I need to recruit the bides technical assistance. But Im glad you asked. I want to post the Bill Of sale on our car that listed the $700 for nitrogen in the tires.here is the recipe https://foodfolio.net/recipes/12036/jack-rabbit-split-pea-soup/ I followed it to a "T". I did not buy this old time favorite brand as they didnt have it. I got Goya brand. Before you dump the split peas in the pot, open the bag, and sort through them looking for small stones dirt and discolored peas. Then dump them in a bowl and rinse them 3 times. No soaking just rinse. I start with more than 3 quarts. more like 3.5 i cook it the 4 hours total as directed,I had to add about another cup of water it was very thick. I didnt have an old ham bone either so I sprung for a thick ham steak and cubed it , I threw the cubes in after about an hour.

Last edited:
Yeah, The soup if I may say so myself was delish. I didnt miss the dirty ladle that everyone touched that slipped into the soup seasoning:D. Thank you all for participating with me in this thread. I have some left for tomorrows lunch. I might have to add a few sandwiches to accompany it for a nice balanced meal.

Now that you've enjoyed your meal, I'll tell you about the hygiene of Padang restaurants in Sumatra. They cook chicken, fish, beef, vegetables, eggs, and other assorted comestibles either by frying or boiling in the morning, and then place all the cooked food in large bowls which are stacked up in a pyramid in the front window. Then throughout the day as customers come in, the bowls are taken out of the window and brought to their tables. The customers eat what they want from the bowls, and then following the meal the waiter counts up what has been eaten, charges the customer accordingly, and returns the bowls to the front window. Rinse and repeat (figuratively, not literally) all day until the last customer has left after dinner. All the serving (and eating) is done by hand from these bowls, and there are no napkins. The only fresh, hot food is the rice.

I spent 6 weeks eating from these establishments throughout Sumatra one summer about 20 years ago, and never once got sick. But I immediately got food poisoning when I got back to the Hilton Hotel in Jakarta and ate from the western buffet there. Go figure.

Pictures and recipe, please.;)

Try this. It has converted many "not a split pea soup fan".

Cube half your ham and puree the other half. Boil the peas with some bullion (I've used both chicken and beef) and the pureed ham. Stir occasionally. When the peas are the desired consistency, add the cubed ham and stir. Wait a few minutes for the ham to heat up then slowly fold in a quart of sour cream and serve. Awesome creamy split pea soup!:)

Apparently a childlike interest in one's own, and other people's elimination becomes common as people age. Haven't you heard old people refer to each other, and even themselves, as "old poop" and "old fart"? I happen to despise this, but it's very common.

I was visiting a friend's home and was introduced to her mother, who at only 70 was already senile. Mom and I got along well and soon she was sharing the "funniest" book with me, a children's picture book entitled "Everything Poops."

I'm relatively new here.

Is poop talk a "thing" among the early retirement crowd? If so, why?

Try this. It has converted many "not a split pea soup fan".

Cube half your ham and puree the other half. Boil the peas with some bullion (I've used both chicken and beef) and the pureed ham. Stir occasionally. When the peas are the desired consistency, add the cubed ham and stir. Wait a few minutes for the ham to heat up then slowly fold in a quart of sour cream and serve. Awesome creamy split pea soup!:)

Thank you, I will definitely try this.:D

This thread reminds me of George's double dipping episode on Seinfeld.

Back
Top Bottom