digital audio output (optical) to Bluetooth speaker

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have 47" LG TV that I bought 10 years ago that does not have any wireless capability. It does have a digital audio output (optical).

I was thinking about buying a Bose Revolve+ which has only a 3.5mm auxiliary input. I know I can get a soundbar, but the Revolve+ is portable.

For audio quality, what is the best way to get sound from my TV to the Revolve+.

I am thinking I need some sort of converter.

:confused:

Buy a new TV with bluetooth capability - and much improved picture and technology. Some actually have sound good enough that you won't need an external speaker.

I wouldn't spend a dime on any type of external speaker/sound bar or converter for a TV a decade old.

Last edited:
The Monoprice looks like coaxial audio.
The 3.5mm on the Revolve+ is the single input similar to like with headphones unless I am mistaken.

Are you using a cable or satellite box? You could run the audio from that to your speaker.

If you're watching TV over the air, or with a streaming stick, this won't work.

The Toslink input in that device takes optical.

I have the low-end Comcast DTA and it is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Seems rather extravagant to buy a new TV just to get sound to a Bluetooth speaker.

The Monoprice device does not appear to provide 3.5 mm audio connector which means yet another adapter. Ideally I would like optical to 3.5mm audio.

If the TV has RCA audio out you can probably find an RCA to 3.5mm cable for $5 or less. Every time we travel I take one of those cables and connect the TV to my portable speaker.

Monoprice also sells stereo RCA to 3.5 mm audio cables for like $3 making your total cost for this solution something like $20 plus shipping and taxes.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5597
Thanks!
I also saw that there are some boxes like the Monorprice one but that also have the 3.5mm audio output.

If the TV has RCA audio out you can probably find an RCA to 3.5mm cable for $5 or less. Every time we travel I take one of those cables and connect the TV to my portable speaker.
Thanks!
No RCA audio out but does have a headphone jack that I had not noticed before. I am going to give this a try before spending money on the expensive Revolve+

Buy a new TV with bluetooth capability - and much improved picture and technology. Some actually have sound good enough that you won't need an external speaker.

I wouldn't spend a dime on any type of external speaker/sound bar or converter for a TV a decade old.

I’d have to agree on this although it’s not likely what the OP wants to hear. A TV is pretty much just a computer with a screen. So using a ten year old TV is no different than using a 10 year old PC. You can do it, but for around $400 you could get a brand new 50 inch 4K TV with much better sound and picture quality and all of the latest tech features.

I have been impressed by the Amazon Echo Studio and Subwoofer. It has a 3.5 input (analog or digitial). I can connect via blue tooth, an optical - 3.5 optical or via a Fire Cube.

Bluetooth is great for convenience but sound output from optical will out perform with highest quality if you have a surround sound systems like a Bose.

No RCA audio out but does have a headphone jack that I had not noticed before. I am going to give this a try before spending money on the expensive Revolve+

That should work. I take both an RCA to 3.5mm cable and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable when we travel.

I've been using TOSLINK->BLUETOOTH adapter for over two years.
TV has optical input and the adapter is paired with receiver hooked up to kitchen stereo.
You should be able to Bluetooth pair it directly with Revolve+
Here's amazon link to mine: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HRHT7Y

wow

Goes to show someone has already come up with whatever device is needed.

You can do it, but for around $400 you could get a brand new 50 inch 4K TV with much better sound and picture quality and all of the latest tech features.

Better picture quality for certain.

I wouldn't know about better sound quality.

I would not, NOT buy that Bose Revolve speaker. It's overpriced for what you get.

Do you have space limitations? Or is the portability of the Bose unit what appeals to you?

If not, consider what I've done. I have a six year old 42" LG TV with optical out. My wife won a Klipsch 2.1 bluetooth speaker system a couple years ago at a work Christmas party. We've hooked it up to the LG TV.

Essentially, this is it, though ours is older:
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B01N0J3NQB

To get it to work with the optical output of our LG TV I purchased this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNNSKV0
It uses a USB port to get its power, so your LG TV needs to have a USB port for this to work.

Besides using it for getting audio while watching TV, I can send music or podcasts from my phone directly to this system, which is quite convenient. The subwoofer really brings TV shows to life.

There is also a non-bluetooth version of the Klipsch system:
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

Honestly though, I'm all for the idea of getting a new TV. Even an off-brand TV like TCL or HiSense would get you a great picture along with ROKU streaming technology. A 55" set can be had for under $400, less than $300 on sale.

Honestly though, I'm all for the idea of getting a new TV. Even an off-brand TV like TCL or HiSense would get you a great picture along with ROKU streaming technology. A 55" set can be had for under $400, less than $300 on sale.

As I wrote previously, I may be getting better picture quality with new TV but not necessarily better audio quality.
I already have a Roku.

I like the Revolve+ for the portability.
Maybe a different brand than Bose but same form factor.

As I wrote previously, I may be getting better picture quality with new TV but not necessarily better audio quality.
I already have a Roku.

I like the Revolve+ for the portability.
Maybe a different brand than Bose but same form factor.

OK, I understand. I would explore other brands, maybe read some reviews that compare a bunch of these devices. Bose is known in audio circles to be overhyped and overpriced. In any event you will need some kind of Optical to 3.5mm converter if these devices only have 3.5mm inputs and don't have an optical input.

Back
Top Bottom