Disability Possibility?

I turn 60 in May. Everything I've ever done has required physical strength and mobility. At this point I have neither. Today marks 3 months and still mostly in a wheelchair.
I have paid into the system for 44 years, so I should be able to take advantage without feeling guilty.

Do it!
The above comment about age 50...
Age 50 is the magic #, they dont force you to retrain in another line of work, they also dont say being a walmart greeter is good enough employment at age 50....
St your age & so close to retirement dont think you have anything to worry about inregards to approval process.
An important key element is to have your dr's prescribe you a walking assistance device, like a walker, cane, etc...
It needs to be documented, them just giving you a wheel chair at the hospital isnt good enough.
Need your dr'sto document that you cant get around without a device of some sort & you always need it...

Last edited:
I turn 60 in May. Everything I've ever done has required physical strength and mobility. At this point I have neither. Today marks 3 months and still mostly in a wheelchair.
I have paid into the system for 44 years, so I should be able to take advantage without feeling guilty.

Agree.

I concur with what others have said - you need a lawyer. Even if it takes a few years, if you get approved, you can receive retroactive payments. This happened to my brother. He was initially denied, then went through a long appeal process, and then the decision was reversed. He used a lawyer.

You absolutely should not feel guilty. Benefits are there for a reason. If you qualify, then, by definition, you deserve the benefit.

Personally, I would not start with a lawyer. Why pay the price. I’d read up and do my homework before submitting my paperwork and take my chances. I filed for disability and the process was not difficult at all. Supplying subsequent information and getting the approval may be tough, but it’s worth trying. You can always appeal if you get denied. Mine went through with no problem but I was on dialysis and that seems to be an automatic condition. Still, I had to fill out all the paperwork and it wasn’t that hard.

W/o an attorney the likely hood of getting denied the first time around is high...
You dont pay for the attorney, the attorney gets paid from the govt....
Your "backpay" isnt huge cuz its not like you been out of work for years....
Its alot of heartburn doing it yourself & not knowing the game, answering all the trick questions correctly, results will be not in your favor...
Disability attorneys are pretty much free & they know the ins & outs of the process...
Yes if you have a lump some of backpay due to you, they will get a percentage of it...
I was approved in 5 months so no backpay for me, attorney didnt cost me a dime...

Last edited:
Slater, I worked in the disability field for 30 years and much of your information is wrong. 50 is not the magic number, it often takes 2 years to obtain and the government doesn’t provide a lawyer to assist you. Lucie has provided you with correct information!

Although I worked for the state helping people with disabilities return to work I also wrote some reports that were used in court to help people obtain SSDI. Because we had a workshop where I could not only test people but evaluate them physically over a period of months I would have specific information on their physical abilities.

Unless a person is terminally ill or has an extremely severe disability they get denied the first time. You have to keep appealing within the deadlines. I have often seen it take 2 years. If you win you get back pay to your original application date. Your attorney takes a third of this.

To give you an example I had a 55 year old man with 3 fairly severe physical problems and he only read at the third grade level so wasn’t going to be retrained. It took him 2 years to win and my detailed report was used.

Eventually if you keep getting denied you go before a law judge who has a vocational expert to advise the judge taking into account your work history, ability to retrain, disability and physical limitations. On the application you want to focus on your limitations and all the areas of your life affected. I have been retired 11 years but this is how it worked then.

You absolutely should not feel guilty. Benefits are there for a reason. If you qualify, then, by definition, you deserve the benefit.

Personally, I would not start with a lawyer. Why pay the price. I’d read up and do my homework before submitting my paperwork and take my chances. I filed for disability and the process was not difficult at all. Supplying subsequent information and getting the approval may be tough, but it’s worth trying. You can always appeal if you get denied. Mine went through with no problem but I was on dialysis and that seems to be an automatic condition. Still, I had to fill out all the paperwork and it wasn’t that hard.

Jerry you had a condition where you automatically qualify so of course you didn’t need a lawyer. Physical disability is much different and without a lawyer knowing exactly what to put on the application old medic will most likely be denied.

Slater, I worked in the disability field for 30 years and much of your information is wrong. 50 is not the magic number, it often takes 2 years to obtain and the government doesn’t provide a lawyer to assist you. Lucie has provided you with correct information!

Although I worked for the state helping people with disabilities return to work I also wrote some reports that were used in court to help people obtain SSDI. Because we had a workshop where I could not only test people but evaluate them physically over a period of months I would have specific information on their physical abilities.

Unless a person is terminally ill or has an extremely severe disability they get denied the first time. You have to keep appealing within the deadlines. I have often seen it take 2 years. If you win you get back pay to your original application date. Your attorney takes a third of this.

To give you an example I had a 55 year old man with 3 fairly severe physical problems and he only read at the third grade level so wasn’t going to be retrained. It took him 2 years to win and my detailed report was used.

Eventually if you keep getting denied you go before a law judge who has a vocational expert to advise the judge taking into account your work history, ability to retrain, disability and physical limitations. On the application you want to focus on your limitations and all the areas of your life affected. I have been retired 11 years but this is how it worked then.

I have personally very recently gone through the process, was approved within 5 months, ssdi.... was approved Sept 2022
Everything ive posted was from my dd, attorney info, & 5 other folks that I personally know that have gone through the ordeal in the last 5 years.

I would put all I can into rehab work and try to get back near 100%. Doctors can be wrong and have been wrong many times when it comes to motivated people. Best of luck what ever way it goes.

Old Medic, I checked with a friend of mine that is a vocational expert at SS hearings. Nothing much has changed since I retired. However, the lawyer specializing in SS cases can only take 25% of your back pay up to an amount that SS sets which a quick google search gave me 2 different answers. One said 6k and one 7200 so should be in the ballpark.

After a 30 minute hold, got to speak with a disability person at the SS office. They feel that I need to quickly proceed with filing for disability. They said I should not have too much of an issue.

An important key element is to have your dr's prescribe you a walking assistance device, like a walker, cane, etc...

Currently I have no Dr prescription for any walking device. He is keeping in a wheel chair. transfers only.

If you are talking about SSDI I would definitely start now because it can take up to two years to obtain it.

Yeah, I've heard that SS simply denies most claims the first time through and makes you and the doctors jump through more hoops to get approved.

I hope your doctors are wrong. I'm sure part of recovery is your dedication to it and I'm sure you are 100% committed to it. Never give up!:flowers:

Yeah, I've heard that SS simply denies most claims the first time through and makes you and the doctors jump through more hoops to get approved.

I suppose it depends on whoever is reviewing the file? BIL with heart issues was told by his doctor that "You're retired. Effective immediately. That means today. As in right now." He had no issues getting immediate approval, so maybe if it is clear-cut they don't make the person jump through hoops?

This is the same BIL who stopped on the way home from the hospital after bypass surgery to get a Philly cheesesteak sub because "They starved me in the hospital". You can't make this stuff up.:facepalm:

I suppose it depends on whoever is reviewing the file? BIL with heart issues was told by his doctor that "You're retired. Effective immediately. That means today. As in right now." He had no issues getting immediate approval, so maybe if it is clear-cut they don't make the person jump through hoops?

This is the same BIL who stopped on the way home from the hospital after bypass surgery to get a Philly cheesesteak sub because "They starved me in the hospital". You can't make this stuff up.:facepalm:

Well, we are all going to die. I would rather die eating cheesesteak sandwiches rather than kale. YMMV

After a 30 minute hold, got to speak with a disability person at the SS office. They feel that I need to quickly proceed with filing for disability. They said I should not have too much of an issue.

How old are you? If over 55 that will help your chances but I think they still have to wait for your doctors to say you are as healed as you are going to get. With your injuries that will be at least a year. You also have to show you are trying to get better. Go ahead and file but don't expect a decision until next year at least. At the very least you can keep the disabled placard for life. Good luck.

How old are you? If over 55 that will help your chances but I think they still have to wait for your doctors to say you are as healed as you are going to get. With your injuries that will be at least a year. You also have to show you are trying to get better. Go ahead and file but don't expect a decision until next year at least. At the very least you can keep the disabled placard for life. Good luck.

Disabled placards never expire? Doesn't each state issue it's own? The laws don't vary by state?

Disabled placards never expire? Doesn't each state issue it's own? The laws don't vary by state?

I don't know if it varies by state. I know I have to renew mine every 5 years. i just meant that he will be able to get one for life with his injuries even if he has to renew it every 5 years.

Those are all reasons he should use a lawyer from the get-go rather than face any delays by trying to DIY.

Those are all reasons he should use a lawyer from the get-go rather than face any delays by trying to DIY.

I absolutely agree a lawyer is a must for virtually anyone OP included.

Well let the waiting begin. Submitted my application and will wait for the NO.

I hope it works out for you.

Well let the waiting begin. Submitted my application and will wait for the NO.

We its looking hopeful... instead of a direct NO, Received a PILE of more paper work. 5 envelopes from the state office of SS, including one for DW to fill out. 3 of them were 10 pages of questions. So the wait continues.

We its looking hopeful... instead of a direct NO, Received a PILE of more paper work. 5 envelopes from the state office of SS, including one for DW to fill out. 3 of them were 10 pages of questions. So the wait continues.

You got nothing to worry about, its a slam dunk...

Back
Top Bottom