Do You Go Somewhere Every Day?

I leave the house every day on foot. My truck started slowly today, and I realized that I haven't driven it for almost a week. Probably new battery time before it gets really cold.

Now that winter has arrived (we actually had some light snow this morning that immediately melted) I stay inside unless I have a very specific reason to go somewhere. That's usually either the grocery store, hardware store, or doctor's appointments. Not exactly an exciting life but I've had my fill of excitement and it suits me just fine. In the warmer weather I'm out more with walks and R/C airplane activities.

I leave the house every day on foot. My truck started slowly today, and I realized that I haven't driven it for almost a week. Probably new battery time before it gets really cold.

I drove my car this week specifically to charge the battery otherwise it would have been parked almost 4 weeks since I'll be traveling for Turkeyday!

If I include walking my dog on the golf course then yes. Driving somewhere everyday no.....maybe every other day.

I'm a true introvert. I don't want to go anywhere. I'm content to sit on the deck with the dogs and watch the birds and squirrels. Doctor's appointments/errands REALLY tick me off. LEAVE ME ALONE (and get off my lawn).:D

I have noticed on days that I get out of the house, my mood does improve a bit, and I get a little more energy.

+1

As much of an introvert as I am (and I really am), I do like seeing other people, greeting and being greeted, and having casual conversations with neighbors and passersby. Some days, I go in the front yard and do a bit of sweeping and tidying, or work on my campervan, so I can see the world go by as I get some fresh air and exercise. Other days, I walk or cycle to stores/coffee shops/dentist appointments etc. Sometimes, I'll go for a walk with a neighbor or friend. It's good to get out and clear the cobwebs.

In one way or another, I probably get out 5 or 6 days a week.

Can I make one request for the fine retired folks who like to go out everyday, please goto the DMV someother time than over the lunch hour��

I needed to get something done at the DMV, they close when most working people are off, so I wonder in on my lunch hour and it was like AARP was going to give out free hambugers or something.

It did give me a good chukle, would make for a good SNL skit��

I try to head out every day.

This missus is still working a hybrid workweek so the current routine when she heads into the office is I'll drop her off at work and go for a walk along the seawall. For days she doesn't head into the office, I usually go for a either a short walk the the local fairgrounds or a longer walk to a park by the water. A couple of days a week, I'll also head to a community centre to go for a skate around the rink.

During evenings and weekends, the missus will join me for a walk.

I play Pickleball 6x weekly, so that's a start.
The only times we don't leave the house is when there are super nasty storms and even then it is a maybe.

Can I make one request for the fine retired folks who like to go out everyday, please goto the DMV someother time than over the lunch hour��

I needed to get something done at the DMV, they close when most working people are off, so I wonder in on my lunch hour and it was like AARP was going to give out free hambugers or something.

It did give me a good chukle, would make for a good SNL skit��
I'm with you. I no longer take that first appointment at the Docs or auto mechanics. I only go to the barber in the early afternoon (the number of 80 to 100 year olds that he grooms is rather amazing.) Grocery store, Costco, and Home Depot are never visited on weekends unless it's an emergency. I'm going to drop Mondays at Costco too as many old people seem to be shuffling around there on Mondays as they probably also avoid weekends.

Bicycling season is pretty well over. I'll miss the cycling to the grocery store the next few months.

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The weather usually dictates my movements. If it is raining or snowing I don't leave the house unless I absolutely have to. Errands are done when the weather is at it's best so I don't have to go out on bad days. In nice weather I will bike or walk just about every day. In the winter I stay inside most days, sometimes weeks at a time. Last year in January I even held my mail for 30 days and didn't leave the house except to take the garbage out twice. Stocked up on groceries well in advance so I could get by for a month or more. I have little interest in socializing so that is a none issue although I do like to visit my parents at least a couple times a month most months.

If it were just me, I would probably only go out once per week, but I am married and we go out almost every day.

I walk the dogs most days. I probably use my car 3-4 times a week.

We go for a walk around the neighborhood every day, sometimes twice a day.

We drive for errands 1 or 2 times a week.

I am sure that there have been times when I don't go out all week. Most of the time, I go once or twice per week. Lately, I have been going out 3-5 times per week.

Today, we went to our attorney's office to go over our POAs, Living Wills and Medical POA and our Wills. We left the house at 10:15 and got home around 1:00. It was cold and rainy and I could not wait to get home and get comfortable and do what I wanted.

We did have company from Sunday to Saturday, but they were out hunting for the majority of the day and I usually only see them, brother and nephew, once or twice per year and love having them here. I am loving that I should not have to go out the rest of this week, unless I choose to. I really should go get some jeans and shoes, but I hate shopping.

We seem to—even if it’s just the grocery store, but sometimes it feels like created need trips that we need to stop. We are only one year out of retirement, so perhaps we can morph into homebodies as time passes.

Why stop?
We also probably go to town (5-8 mile trip) more than necessary, but who cares. If that is what you want to do that day, then do it. It's your retirement.

After our morning exercise we commonly hike the exact same trail from our house to Independence rock in the CO Monument. I looked it up on my spreadsheet and we have already hiked it 82 times this year even though it takes ~2 hours. To many folks it likely sounds boring and routine, but we really enjoy it, so who cares. It's our retirement.

We seem to—even if it’s just the grocery store, but sometimes it feels like created need trips that we need to stop. We are only one year out of retirement, so perhaps we can morph into homebodies as time passes.

We walk every morning, usually 3-4 miles. Wife does Zoomba 3 days a week, I do workouts on those days. We do Pickleball, run errands, eat out w/ friends, volunteer for spay/neuter clinics, etc. We are trying to *avoid* being homebodies...

I wish I got out more... most days I'm working around the house. DW allows me to accompany her on some shopping trips on the weekends. I do get to swing by the old office a couple times a month to visit. I love getting out on the bike but rather have the misses with me... just a few more years

I try to be out every day. Usually multiple times, or one time with multiple stops. I am still physical active so nary a day goes by without me at the golf course, gym, or hiking/biking trail. DW and I both try to socialize with our Venn diagram of friends at least once a week, even if for me it is just a bunch of guys yelling at some sports game in our homes or at a sports bar. While I am an introvert I can take the company of other folks a few times a week :LOL:

I find it difficult to stay home all day unless I have some major project. Even then, the project likely entails at least I trip to the store, dump, or recycling center :).

I walk the mutt half as much as I drive the past couple of years. Need to get out more...

There may be 10 to 12 days a year that I'm home and even if home for the better part of the day, I still take a walk/bike ride. Weather dictates some of my leaving the house so staying home is the only option.
I do enjoy just staying busy at home and enjoy making a great lunch on those days. I pack lunch a lot when I'm out and about in the outdoors.

Last edited:
Yeah, I go to the local park every day. I also walk my dog in the neighborhood several times a day. I will sometimes run an errand, too. I ride my bike every other day, although the cold weather has stopped that.

Walk the 90 lb dog every day for at least 2 miles. I consider that weight lifting since he pulls a lot. YMCA, swimming along with errands, talking with neighbors outside, and yard work. I would feel guilty if I stayed in the house all day. I wake up thinking where am I going today?

We both get time out of the house every day unless weather forces otherwise, even if just for a long walk. But we both have somewhere to go (by car) at least 4-5 days/week. I wouldn’t want to stay indoors all day anyway, the idea of not leaving the house for several days would be no bueno for me. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom