Do You Go Somewhere Every Day?

(Pardon the verbosity! The short answer is "No!"):

I did go somewhere every single day, for the (mild) exercise and to keep from yielding to the temptation to become an extreme introvert, until my total knee replacement surgery in late 2019.

I was still recovering from that surgery at home 24/7, when the Covid pandemic first hit. In the early pandemic days here in New Orleans we were told by authorities to stay home except to go straight to a pharmacy or grocery store, and straight back home. There were vague threats about how authorities would be checking any cars they saw on the road, asking questions, and taking appropriate measures.

Our homes are within sight of the "main drag" in the New Orleans area, so we could check the traffic from the front door. Our observations indicated close to zero traffic during those weeks. At that point it seemed like a good idea to cut back on outings. Later the traffic built back up a little, but not completely and we still stayed home a lot. Besides, my knee was getting better with all that rest! :2funny: So I really did not resume going out very much even when I could.

Despite all the staying home, I still somehow(?) managed to get a very bad case of Covid that nearly killed me in September of 2021. Since then I hardly go out at all any more. I drive us to a favorite small mom'n'pop restaurant maybe once a week to eat lunch, just so I can keep my car working, I drive to the occasional doctor or dentist appointment, and that's about it. I'm not very steady on my feet due to aging and the lack of exercise, so even with my rollator walker I'm afraid to walk around the neighborhood alone. And I'm too slow for Frank to enjoy walking with me very much so I don't ask him to do that.

I have become accustomed to staying home, and actually do not mind it. I need to fight this, though, because apparently I need more exercise than I have been getting lately. I don't know if it's incomplete recovery from the knee replacement or from Covid, or if I am aging rapidly at age 74, but I'm not the physically strong old woman that I used to be a few years ago when I was having so much fun doing all that very heavy weight lifting and exercycling.

Exercise is indeed very important. You stated you were shooting for world's oldest woman, so you need to get out there.:D

Reactions: W2R
Exercise is indeed very important. You stated you were shooting for world's oldest woman, so you need to get out there.:D

Well, in another thread she mentioned that she spent money on having her will done. This virtually guarantees that she is now immortal.:)

Reactions: W2R
No. A friend of mine complains of "cabin fever" after one day confined at home, but I tend to fall into the opposite trap, and it becomes too easy to just stay home and become a recluse. (Although I do credit this habit for preserving me from Covid - so far.) It becomes too easy to stay at home and not interact.

I did have to laugh at my father after his retirement. He was too used to going to work every day, and just had to go somewhere. Like clockwork, every impending snowstorm he and my mother would boast to me that "they were prepared, they had food for a month, they didn't have to go anywhere" and like clockwork, he would be out anxiously clearing his driveway and driving out somewhere, anywhere. I pointed out this contradiction but was never able to get more than a "well, he's used to going out," as an explanation.

+1. I’m amazed at how little time most people seem to spend outdoors these days in neighborhoods. When we were kids we were outside as much as possible, now I rarely see kids, I guess they’re inside gaming, social media, etc.

We don’t expect to socialize with neighbors, though we have had a few, but I’d like to at least know and keep up with close neighbors. It’s nice to be able to help each other out from time to time, we don’t have to be best friends. We make it a point to meet neighbors and talk to them when the opportunity presents, some seem to appreciate it, some don’t. But again, these days, we can go for days or weeks without seeing neighbors…
That’s one advantage of a 55+ community in snowbird country. Residents are outside a lot! Lots of neighborhood walkers, dog walkers, cycling, all day long and very little car/truck traffic to interrupt it. In the late afternoons there seems to be a golf cart thing where lots of residents tour the neighborhood streets in their golf carts and visit along the way.

Lots of community social activities too, but we’re not into that.

No, I don't go somewhere every day. I usually leave the house 2 or 3 days a week although that varies. I will say that Covid really cut down on the number of trips. For awhile there we just weren't go out except as really needed. Now, we go out when we want to but during that time we arranged so many things so that we didn't need to go out so much.

You'll find my avatar and me at the park every morning 8am - 930am, at Safeway every Weds & Fri, at Broadway Plaza then services every Saturday. I like having routine things

Dad's wife would hop in her car to get or do something 10 or 15 times a day, every day!...

In my tenth year of retirement, I get out a lot but generally try to consolidate trips.
I had a dental appointment the other day and hit a favorite Chinese restaurant nearby afterwards.

I use the Mustang whenever possible for trips like that.
But I use the F-150 when needed, such as hauling seven barrels of leaves to the town compost center, a chore that's done for the season now.

There are days when neither vehicle leaves the driveway but I don't really keep track...

Yes. Lots of walking//hiking in the good weather. Also drives into the mountains.

Except if we are snowed in for a few days, if the roads/sidewalks are bad,or if it is below -20C or so. Which it was last week.

Not so enthusiastic about trips the store. Try to keep these to a minimum and only go during off peak hours.

I try to get out and do something every day. I do count hikes in the state park behind our house as getting out. To avoid a lot of rocks while running I've been driving a few miles to a flatter area regional park. In the cold weather I've been mixing more walking with runs, especially while recovering from strained ligaments.

Also I joined a men's group called SIR. This is in California so maybe some guys reading this in California could check it out. The objective is just fun socializing. I've been jealous of DW for years as women seem to have an easier time connecting ... my theory is they are not poisoned by testosterone and so less likely to be too competitive for their own good. So I'm now in a book club and walking group and do monthly lunches. Might even try a poker group.

And we do get out to shops, library, day trips to the coast, etc.

Breakfast at Hardees...

My wife & I go to either Hardees, Biscuitville, or McDonalds everyday for breakfast. It gets us out of the house - all within 5 minutes. She does the crossword puzzle. I surf the web/answer e-mails/etc. A great way for us at ages 70 & 72.

After morning coffee and the 3S's, I love to get out on the motorcycle and see what the world is doing. I try to ride every day, rain or shine but not snow :(
After a 2 hour ride, its would be time to start working on what ever project is going on at the time. I feel my day isn't complete on un-rideable snow days.

I was going to run out today to the liquor store around the corner to get some champagne for New Year's, but then I found a bottle I already had. So, I got out of venturing into the outside world today. :dance:

Although, I guess I need to get off my butt. I don't think I've started the car since last Sunday. I did go out to Aldi a few days ago with my housemate, but he drove.

I leave the house to walk the dog everyday. But, getting in the car, there could be a few days in-between trips. When that happens, I feel a little weird and odd for not going somewhere other than the walk, like I wasn’t productive. Maybe it is just me…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom