Do you have a limit on how long you will stay with friends?

Two rolls of toilet paper is my limit... as guest or as host.

That's about 3-4 hours in my house. A wife plus 2 daughters. Had to program in a separate line item for "toilet paper" in my ER budget.

We haven’t stayed with friends for more than a few days, and I wouldn’t want to stay any longer than that. Friends and relatives have stayed with us while snowbirding for up to a week and it’s been ok.

We had friends stay 3-4 days with us (snowbirding) last winter. Then, they left to visit other areas of the state (3 days). They returned for another 3 days then went home. The break was nice for both couples and they only spent 2 nights in a motel. I had never thought of that rotation, but it worked well.

Last year, the same brother rented a large cabin for a week this past summer and then sent out an “invitation” to each sibling family advising us that we were “required” to attend and how much our share for the week would be.

I was not amused, but the DW liked the idea and was excited to go. Our compromise was I paid, she went for the week, and I got to stay home. ;)
I like your "compromise".

It depends. We are Servas hosts, there 2 nights is the min+max and this has worked well.
With friends and family, there are some who run just with the flow of our normal life, require no extras and just live with us. Up to a week is fine with them and we had guests up to 3 weeks, too.

We had friends stay 3-4 days with us (snowbirding) last winter. Then, they left to visit other areas of the state (3 days). They returned for another 3 days then went home. The break was nice for both couples and they only spent 2 nights in a motel. I had never thought of that rotation, but it worked well.

We have some friends that rotate through our place as well. They spend a week with their son, several days with another friend, several days with us, 4 or 5 days somewhere else, then back with us. They're gone from home half the winter and stay at 5 or 6 different places. We will sometimes have other guests between the stays of our rotating friends.

I like your "compromise".
Thanks!

In my B-I-L's (and my wifes other sibling's) defense, they are really good folks. They just have different ideas when it comes to socializing. For them, whether as hosts or guests, you spend every waking moment together. I will never be like that and have learned to keep the visit as short as possible, or the DW goes and I stay home.

Thanks!

In my B-I-L's (and my wifes other sibling's) defense, they are really good folks. They just have different ideas when it comes to socializing. For them, whether as hosts or guests, you spend every waking moment together. I will never be like that and have learned to keep the visit as short as possible, or the DW goes and I stay home.

Yes, spending every waking moment together is trying. I prefer hosting guests who rent their own car. We give them a key to our place and suggest they enjoy themselves, and spend time with us as they please. When staying with others, we typically provide our own transportation and try to entertain ourselves as much as possible, buy food/wine for sharing, and take our hosts out for some dinners. However it still involves compromises for both our hosts and ourselves in terms of our routines.

OTOH, some of the hosts who are inviting us live in places quite far from us and not near other areas we want to visit. For these situations a 3-day stay hardly seems worth going. Perhaps we could tell them that we’ll visit for a week but have a 3-day limit on staying in others’ homes so we’ve rented a place for the rest of the time. I can see some people being offended that we wouldn’t want to stay in their home the entire time.

We normally stay about 2-3 days with friends sometimes longer. However we often have visitors that stay 1 week on average sometimes longer. Many of our friends travel from Europe to visit us so we prepare for longer stays. We had as many as 11 guests (with kids) at one time for about a week. That was 13 people in the home total but it was a lot of fun and a lot of work when it came to preparing breakfast and supper. When we married a long time a go, my wife always bought dinner sets, glasses, and cutlery for 16 people, now I know why.

I have stayed longer with friends, however, I make sure to make myself unobtrusive and do not expect them to entertain me. I make sure I leave things clean and offer to pay for meals out or cook for them. They have the same opportunities at my house.

I have shared hotel rooms with friends when traveling and do the same. It has saved me some $$$ and I have some really good friends because of that. The key is to make sure you give each other space and time for yourself.

BUT - Benny was right - 3-5 days is a sweet spot for most.

Back
Top Bottom