Do You Notify CC Company When You Travel

We do when traveling internationally but not domestically. I seem to recall that Discover called my cell once when we were traveling to verify some charges they were seeing.

Never. Doesn't matter whether travel has been US or international. Never had a problem. If I had to contact every time I traveled on business over 25 years, I would have been on the phone constantly.

Do you use a corporate card when you travel overseas? I never got my corporate card denied when I traveled domestic or international.

Last edited:
Never. Doesn't matter whether travel has been US or international. Never had a problem. If I had to contact every time I traveled on business over 25 years, I would have been on the phone constantly.

It has to do with patterns. When we were full timing in the RV we never had a problem, because the pattern was that we were traveling all the time.

When we switched to occasional travel is when we started having problems with blocked cards.

I did when I took the train from NY to Indiana and Kentucky last year. I used the CC twice and had no problems. There were somewhat different processes (using the phone) to alert the banks. With one, it was quick and easy because I didn't have to speak to anyone, it was all voice-activated. I answered a few questions and I was done. With the other bank, I had to speak with a person (not a long wait, thankfully, less than 5 minutes). I was originally told by a local bank rep that I'd have to call two customer service #s, one for the CC and the other for the DC. But when I called the one for the CC, I found out they could handle the DC, too, saving me a call.

Just to be safe I called some of the cc companies. Consistent w/ the responses here, their responses also ranged all over the map. Chase was definitely interested in both dates/locations, even for US travel. Costco AMEX was just interested that there would be travel but didn't particularly care about dates/places if domestic. Cap One, interestingly enough.......the one who had been fussy about a Seattle trip even tho we had previously done that w/ their card........said that they didn't need to be notified for domestic travel because they had modified their procedures due to customer feedback.

It is always a good idea to notify CC company for any out of town travel. Most likely it can be done online.

Just to be safe I called some of the cc companies. Consistent w/ the responses here, their responses also ranged all over the map. Chase was definitely interested in both dates/locations, even for US travel. Costco AMEX was just interested that there would be travel but didn't particularly care about dates/places if domestic. Cap One, interestingly enough.......the one who had been fussy about a Seattle trip even tho we had previously done that w/ their card........said that they didn't need to be notified for domestic travel because they had modified their procedures due to customer feedback.

I just had a new experience calling Costco AMEX - first got the automated message that they could see we were traveling from our charges and they would contact us if there were any fraud concerns.

But a few days prior I had signed up for their text fraud notification where they text to you to confirm or deny suspicious charges. And I think that made a difference.

• BofA - online, no problem, both credit and debit. They confirm by email.
  • PenFed - online for credit card only. They did offer a text fraud notification service, and I signed up for it for both the debit and credit card.
  • None of the AMEX cards seem to support online notification to travel plans. They do have a text fraud notification service you can sign up for.
  • Fidelity - not for credit card, not for debit card. You have to call different numbers for each.
  • Schwab Bank - you can online secure message your travel plans and they get back the next day confirming your travel notification.

PenFed sent me an email the day before the our travel to remind us about the travel notification.

Last edited:
I usually never do, but did on my last road trip (mid trip). I had a cc scare when a hotel clerk said that my card was denied (but wasn't). So I talked with the cc rep and he suggested a travel notification. I'll probably do it on future trips - it only took a few minutes.

I usually never do, but did on my last road trip (mid trip). I had a cc scare when a hotel clerk said that my card was denied (but wasn't). So I talked with the cc rep and he suggested a travel notification. I'll probably do it on future trips - it only took a few minutes.

That's what would happen to me.

Traveling to San Antonio or Austin - one gas fill up on the way, one meal, by the time we would reach a hotel the CC would be denied and we'd have to use a different card and call to get it sorted out.

I always notify the CC company when traveling internationally. And, since I live in Mexico, I've called CC and notified them of extended stays in Mexico which they set up for a six month duration which is there max.

Chase just notified me that I know longer need to notify them of international travel since their fraud detection software will flag anything unusual. Hope it works well!

Contacting my CC companies in advance of traveling seems like a great idea. DW was visiting folks on the east coast several years ago and she and I must have charged something at the same time (Me in TX. she in VA). Discover card or MasterCard called me and wanted to verify that they were both legit. I was glad that their detection was so accurate.

I'll be contacting them soon to advise of upcoming travel.

We went to France a couple years back and notified BoA. They took the information and dates and locations. We got there and took some people out to dinner. Imagine my embarrassment when the card was denied. The people we went with had to pay. I called BoA and they said why didn't you just call the number on the back of the card. Sure that 10 minute wait and dealing with the menu system would not have added to my embarrassment!

BTW, I was told that they had my request on file but the reject was a pattern related computerized system that they could not override. We've since switched cards.

Last edited:
I've never notified them travelling within US, including trip to HI.

It does seem strange to me that I've not had any problems as I have about 5 CC's and will use X for gas (so they know I'm travelling) , but suddenly I'm buying lunch with my Y card in a different State ?

I used the BofA online notify for a quick trip out of state. Third charge yesterday - and the card was denied. When they called, I kept asking - I put a travel notify on file, didn't that work? But they kept answering they were fixing it now and I would have no more problems.

It seems to work better when I call ahead.

I haven't had trouble traveling overseas when I call ahead. I hope that works again this year.

Just curious whether folks notify their credit card company before they travel.
I know you're supposed to do it if you travel internationally but for trips within the US?

Typically we have done that for "real" international trips but not for domestic US or even Canada. However on a relatively recent trip to Seattle, one of the cc companies got a bit sensitive even tho we have done that before even using their card.......so they had a prior history.

Easy enough to call one company but with this card for 3% on this and that card for 5% on that, it's a bit more involved...............
Yes, and give places and dates of travel.

Back
Top Bottom