Do you still care about the state of the world or just focus on your own life?

I do read the news, like everyone else of course, but having 20–25 years left I really don’t care about anything except for what affects me directly. Global warming, Middle East, upcoming elections… my activism days are way behind me.

How about you?

We stopped getting a physical paper years ago, but do consume online news. I'm 56.

We do care, although I try not to obsess over things I cannot control. Some days I do better at this than other days...

Activism? Depends on your definition. We have always tried to reduce/reuse/recycle, vote, volunteer time (mainly Special Olympics and Down Syndrome). As I get older, I'm tending more activist. Retiring should bring more time for that.

What can we do? Avoid apathy. Speak up. Listen to others you think you disagree with. They usually have a good reason for feeling that way. You might find more common ground than you think. But always challenge the BS. And vote.

Very well said. Thank you. :flowers:

I watch the news daily much to my chagrin. I can't help it even though I know beforehand it will depress or anger me. I'm not sure why I let it bother me so much because I more than likely have more fingers than years left. I especially dislike 21st century politics, tribalism, endless wars, lack of civility, the nastiness without regard of it's consequences, and the terrible climate change that directly affects us in Central Texas.

The unbelievable population growth locally has changed the culture and quality of life dramatically but it is obvious it will get worse and and is unstoppable. Did I mention the quality of music seems to be getting worse by the decade. I am thankful for the contribution of black music (jazz, blues, and R&B,and first gen rap) and for R&R of the 60s-early 80s.

It is really interesting to see the amazing progress we have made in healthcare (not implementation) and technology. I do think technology has surpassed our ability to deal with the consequences of it's usage. ☮

I check in on the clown cars crashing into dumpster fires. Can’t help it. Nor do I think I can do anything about it.

I’ve been getting more interested in the technologies that are transforming our lives top to bottom: AI, robotics, virtual reality, Bitcoin, blockchains, medical tech, transportation, energy storage, decentralized social media, etc. Governments are deluged with debt and dysfunction and are being left in the dust by compounding technologies. Moronic congressmen and manifestly horrible presidential candidates and their angertainment “news” outlets are just not that interesting or relevant compared to the engineering advancements driving real change.

Actually it's all gov'ts. The difference is dictators in whatever flavor they want to claim just kill off the complainers and censor the press so we don't hear about it so much.

Frankly I think the world is in decline, humans will continue to ruin the world and eventually kill themselves by making the world unable to support human life...

The lake at my cabin, in 1930 was so full of fish and life, my mother would row across the lake with a line in and catch 3 lake trout. She would only do this on the return trip as otherwise she'd have too many fish.
Now you can fish all day with the latest tech and be lucky to catch one.
Now they stock the lake every year as well.

People over fished it and ruined it. The Crayfish are all gone that I used to see and play with.

Same issue is happening with the Ocean, we nearly killed all the whales and many other fish stocks, and the remaining fish are no longer the same large size but much smaller due to factory fishing ships scooping up everything.

One day the oceans will be empty of fish..

In some ways, I'm glad I'll be dead before the world ends as it's not going to be pretty..

This is very sad but unfortunately probably accurate.

I am a bit of a news junkie so I do pay attention to what is going on in the world. I don't see anything particularly alarming happening in my lifetime but that is not to say I like the direction the world is going.

My personal opinion, and I would never preach to anyone about anything, is that humans are causing climate change. But I have no kids and only a niece and nephew with health conditions that will probably lead to me outliving them. So, it may sound selfish, and it absolutely is, but I don't get worked up about climate change because it will not significantly affect me. I do very little to decrease my carbon footprint.

I don't worry too much about another world war. It could happen but would not benefit any superpower so it would probably end quickly. And aside from messing up my travel plans it would have very little impact on me.

I mostly read the news and keep up to date on what is going on. I check a few US news organizations but mostly local media and the BBC for world news. No cable or antenna. When I visit my folks I get lots of cable and network "news" but 90% is just inciteful hyperbole and rarely honestly reported IMO from any sources.

I try to stay stoic as there is not much I can do. I vote but only because it's fun (always in person) as I've not been the deciding vote on any election bigger than my HOA! I change my voter registration party affiliation frequently too depending on what primary I want to vote in and to keep the algorithm confused.

I just focus on being a somewhat kind and decent person within my own community and try to add to the good vibes in my local community. Despite all the negative, I believe the world is a much better place for humans in general and the long term trendline is good. We are wired to perceive and focus on threats more than opportunity and the good. I work a lot on my own mindset and remind myself that most people, while flawed, are good (or want to be at some level).

Last edited:
Another thing I do is try to seek out the alternate view. I read books I fundamentally disagree with too on occasion. Not so much to "know thy enemy" but to understand and I often find I agree with many of their points even if it doesn't change my view. Often we are working towards similar broad ends (a "good" life) but the political/religious/economic balkanization (especially since we can self-select what we are exposed to) takes people away from the core and yields unproductive attacks/arguing and little constructive debate. That is one trend that troubles me.

Here's how I look at it. I'm 72 years old. For the past 50 years, I've seen the world go through all kinds of challenges, wars, deceptions, atrocities, shortages and financial disasters.

Yet, yet...my life hasn't changed one iota. Older and somewhat wiser, but just as when I was 20, I eat out five nights a week, winter in Florida, go skiing when the spirit moves me, drive nice cars, go for walks in the woods, enjoy a good drink, travel and so on.

I try not to get sucked in to causes and news items that try to get me to believe that somehow it matters. I've gone a half-century and nothing that I've been told is really, really important actually has been.

... I eat out five nights a week, winter in Florida, go skiing when the spirit moves me, drive nice cars, go for walks in the woods, enjoy a good drink, travel and so on...

I hope you also take the time to count your blessings and reflect on the fact that the vast majority of humans alive today - or ever - can't do all that.

I hope you also take the time to count your blessings and reflect on the fact that the vast majority of humans alive today - or ever - can't do all that.

...and half of the world alive today has never made a phone call....

Perhaps my post was poorly worded but it was within the context of the thread which is 'Do you care about the state of the world or just focus on your own life'.

My point was that for most of us (here in the first world), our lives have changed very little over the years despite all the media noise and predictions of 'the end of the world as we know it'.

Last edited:
I don't worry too much about another world war. It could happen but would not benefit any superpower so it would probably end quickly. And aside from messing up my travel plans it would have very little impact on me.
You're probably wise not to worry about WW3 because worrying isn't going to help. But I'm pretty sure the shelves would be empty for a very, very long time, not to mention ionizing radiation that would make a lot of people feel horrible as they began a slow death. And just look at the impact a tiny disturbance (COVID) had on supply chains.

I agree that it won't be a superpower, but some group who operates with a belief system that includes weighing not just the results in the known world, but other-worldly beliefs that justify horrors in this world. Not that it pays to worry about that either, again, does no good.

Relatively early in my adult life, I was "fortunate" to have abundant time, opportunity and motivation to contemplate both the end of the world and the end of me. And ever since then, I have not worried about either. I know I will die someday, but until that happens, perhaps I can be useful.

DW and I live a paradox. Our lives are very different depending on whether we're at our city condo or our mountain cabin. The city condo is typical, crime, idiot/distracted drivers, selfish people, homelessness, etc. but it has many amenities that we enjoy.
Our mountain cabin is in a community where everyone is helpful and friendly. Amenities are short since we're remote and town is an hour away. But the scenery, fresh air, etc. allow us to live a more relaxing healthier life here.
Stress levels are much less at our cabin than at our condo. I'm just thankful that at our condo we don't need to interact with the locals as much. At our cabin it is a joy to interact with the locals.
It's like stepping back in time to a simpler life at our cabin. I just wish our kids and grandkids could spend more time here to learn to enjoy the simpler life.
My point is that there is still joy to be found in the world.

One of the advantages of being old is that even a pessimist like me cares less every day. I do worry about my kids, but I'm doing what I can while I'm still here to help them out. I can't change the world or even the country or even the state - but I can change the lives of my kids. That's what I'm concentrating on. I've pretty much washed my hands of the rest of it.

Was never interested in the state of the world. Closer to home yes, but local powers that be, were never interested in my opinion. Though at times feigned a bit.

Yes. I have always read a number of international news and journal sites. Even more since retirement.

I cancelled our long time local newspaper last year. Too many cutbacks, no in depth reporting. Mostly new wire items and adverts. Do not miss it one bit. It was only good for wrapping the fish in.

You're probably wise not to worry about WW3 because worrying isn't going to help. But I'm pretty sure the shelves would be empty for a very, very long time, not to mention ionizing radiation that would make a lot of people feel horrible as they began a slow death. And just look at the impact a tiny disturbance (COVID) had on supply chains.

I agree that it won't be a superpower, but some group who operates with a belief system that includes weighing not just the results in the known world, but other-worldly beliefs that justify horrors in this world. Not that it pays to worry about that either, again, does no good.

There are certainly several rouge states and non-state actors that I think could be problematic over the next couple of decades. But I would expect that we (meaning all the superpowers) would shut things down quickly. China does not want North Korean refugees streaming across the border nor does Russia want a bunch of Iranians.

Bad things are certainly going to happen. But I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We'll survive even if we have to grow our own food for a while.

A few weeks ago, a local columnist went on this long diatribe. He wrote that the world was such a mess that he was urging young people to not have children, especially American children as they will have "an inordinate negative impact on the environment".

"Please don't have a baby" How'd you like to have this loon for a neighbor?

(may/may not be paywalled)
https://www.salemnews.com/opinion/c...cle_9bca1bc0-572b-11ee-929a-2f5ac0269da5.html

Last edited:
marko, I didn't read that and won't read it. That's the kind of articles that can do more harm to our society than good. The writer obviously has an agenda and doesn't appreciate living in our great country.

marko, I didn't read that and won't read it. That's the kind of articles that can do more harm to our society than good. The writer obviously has an agenda and doesn't appreciate living in our great country.

I don't think he appreciates living at all. Most of his editorials follow a similar, negative, 'end of the world' theme.

Amazingly, reader responses are split 50/50 in favor of what he writes, although I'm not sure what planet these people are on. I live in a strange land.......

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, a local columnist went on this long diatribe. He wrote that the world was such a mess that he was urging young people to not have children, especially American children as they will have "an inordinate negative impact on the environment".

"Please don't have a baby" How'd you like to have this loon for a neighbor?

(may/may not be paywalled)
https://www.salemnews.com/opinion/c...cle_9bca1bc0-572b-11ee-929a-2f5ac0269da5.html

Didn't read the article, but I think it is true that not having a child is the single biggest thing you can do to reduce your carbon footprint.

Didn't read the article, but I think it is true that not having a child is the single biggest thing you can do to reduce your carbon footprint.

A cap and trade regime would allow me to sell carbon credits to those who want to have children.

A cap and trade regime would allow me to sell carbon credits to those who want to have children.

I love that! lol.

But I have not managed to sell the carbon capture ability of the trees we have on our 30 acres in the mountains. I emailed Washington state asking but heard nothing back.

That is likely true, but the article is so dark and negative. Disturbing.

"...Organized civilization itself is in jeopardy, and its breakdown could be sudden, or occur gradually during the next 20 or 25 years..."
"...It will be a frightening, broken world, with unreliable or dying infrastructure systems..."

He sees no hope for any future; there is no "if" for him, it's just a matter of how soon.

Back
Top Bottom