Do you use your dishwasher?

I can not stand dirty dishes laying around. Soon as dinner is done, DW goes to watch Wheel Of Fortune and I load the dishwasher. Before bed, she unloads and sets the coffee pot for the next morning.

I can not stand dirty dishes laying around. Soon as dinner is done, DW goes to watch Wheel Of Fortune and I load the dishwasher. Before bed, she unloads and sets the coffee pot for the next morning.

TEAMWORK! one of the nice things about marriage

It sounds like you've got your routine down pat!

Yes, we use the dishwasher in both our homes. We usually rinse unless we intend to run the dishwasher right away. We usually do pots and pans and knives by hand but will occasionally put pots and pans in the dishwasher.

New Samsung used every other day when full, scrape plates but don't rinse.
Using the dishwasher saves the DW a lot of work.

Yes. We have a quiet Kitchen Aid that we put in when we remodeled 3 years ago. Don’t need to rinse and everything gets clean, even the hard cheesy bits someone asked about.

When we were working, we only ran it a few times per week but now we run it almost every day as we are cooking a lot more at home. We do hand wash most of our wine glasses and all of our good knives. A few years ago we got rid of the high-end hand wash only cookware and bought a dishwasher-safe set, and now we wash all pots and pans in the DW.

Yes, I use a dishwasher. We just bought a new house (new to us -- house is over 30 years old). The prior owners had bought a new dishwasher in the last couple of years. I was glad because I am a stickler for having one of the newer quiet dishwashers. I had one at my old house that I couldn't tell it was running unless I looked at it. This one is the same way.

In most cases, there is no need to rinse beforehand. Rarely with something odd shaped I might rinse but that isn't common.

Yes, we use the dishwasher in both our homes. We usually rinse unless we intend to run the dishwasher right away. We usually do pots and pans and knives by hand but will occasionally put pots and pans in the dishwasher.

+1

Yes, we also have a Bosch dishwasher that we bought last year when our Kitchenaid died. The Bosch is very quiet and cleans pretty well, but we do usually rinse.

We also have a Bosch dishwasher. Use it maybe twice a year. Sold it last night because we’re getting a free new one as part of a total kitchen appliance package. Probably won’t use it either.

Everyone in our house lightly rinses diahes/glasses and puts them straight into the Bosch dishwasher. No dishes in the sink means our kitchen is always presentable and tidy.

Yes, yes, no, no.

We have an 18 year old Kitchenaid (Whirlpool). It works well.

Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?
We have two dishwashers. Both are used daily. One is new. Very little rinsing.

Never use dishwasher -- easier just to hand wash the few dishes I use daily.

Yes, we have a Kitchenaid that is so quiet you hardly know it's running. We give the dishes a cursory rinse to get rid of big chunks and run it every other day or so. When we have company it's run every day.

Since our first house in 1977 have had - and always used - a dishwasher. I can't imagine not having one. Never pre-rinsed. Currently we own a very quiet Whirlpool. I'm still waiting, though, for a design that automatically unloads the dishes and silverware for you.

Last edited:
I don't have one, but if I did, I would use it. When I have a dishwasher I wash/rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher until full and then run it and put the dishes away when dry. When I move into the house, it will have a dishwasher. Until then, I use a lot of paper plates. :)

I love my new Bosch that I purchased this year after my old one leaked. My old one had a heating element for drying but my new one appears to work differently. I can’t even see a heating element.

Wow, thank you, everyone, for sharing your DW experience.

To the people who load the washer without rinsing, do you do anything to the plates before loading, like wiping them with a paper towel and such? Or you just scrape off bits of left-over food/bones with a fork or something, and straight into the washer?

To the people who load the washer without rinsing, do you do anything to the plates before loading, like wiping them with a paper towel and such? Or you just scrape off bits of left-over food/bones with a fork or something, and straight into the washer?

^
This.

Another happy Bosch owner here. We bought a Samsung when we remodeled this house in 2010, but was never happy with it. The top rack attachment broke a few years ago and I used that as an excuse to get the Bosch, which is as close to perfect as any dishwasher I've ever used. With just the two of us, it is run every 2-3 days and as long as I remember to clean out the filter every few weeks, everything comes out spotless.

I hand wash pots and pans and all of my good knives, everything else goes in.

Yes, we have a Kitchenaid that is so quiet you hardly know it's running. We give the dishes a cursory rinse to get rid of big chunks and run it every other day or so. When we have company it's run every day.

When we replaced our dishwasher quiet operation was our top requirement (well, it had to work well in general of course). We also have a Kitchenaid and I barely hear the thing when its on. Very nice.

Our current model apparently uses less water than previous models, but the trade off seems to be it takes (seemingly) forever to run a cycle. That's fine over night, but a pain during the holidays when we need to run more than one load after a big family dinner.

With the old dishwasher I'd rinse first.
With the new one I scrape the chunks of food off only.

Yes, we run ours about every 3 days or so. It's usually just the two of us, so there is no need to run it daily. And yes, I do rinse dishes before putting them in (and the dog helps with that chore too).

On holidays and/or whenever we have a crowd over for dinner, it is especially nice to have it.

No dishwasher. I clean up right away and let nothing sit.

Back
Top Bottom