Do you wear a mask in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, along with exam gloves and chemical splashproof lab googles. Take off and into a bag outside the car in the pk. lot. Bake all of them in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes to sterilize when I get home. Wash any boxes ,and packages from the store too.

Some of my fellow citizens think I am nuts. I am a caregivver for a 89 yo with a comprimised imune system, so the those same fellow citizens can kiss my ass.

Last edited:
I think wearing a mask - even a cloth one, in public has to be a good idea. While they clearly aren't as effective as an N95, there has to be some benefit at least to those around the wearer. If coughing/sneezing into an elbow is a good thing than coughing/sneezing into a mask>into an elbow just has to be better. Common sense.

Locally, the heath care community is out of PPE. I donated the N95s I had in my shop (reno projects can wait), but they are now asking for homemade masks. I'm sewing and when they have a better source, I'll keep on sewing and hand them out to anyone who will wear one. Next time I have to go out for supplies, I'll be sporting a homemade mask with a filter insert. Safe is the new sexy, I guess.

Since I have a near-constant runny nose due to allergies (that I'm treated for), a mask would be a severe nuisance.

No.
I do the shopping. I shop during the slow hours, stay away from people, clean my hands with the wipes on the way out after dropping off the cart and wash my hands when I get home. I carry hand cleaner for using gas pumps, doors, etc.

I think wearing a mask - even a cloth one, in public has to be a good idea. While they clearly aren't as effective as an N95, there has to be some benefit at least to those around the wearer. If coughing/sneezing into an elbow is a good thing than coughing/sneezing into a mask>into an elbow just has to be better. Common sense.

Locally, the heath care community is out of PPE. I donated the N95s I had in my shop (reno projects can wait), but they are now asking for homemade masks. I'm sewing and when they have a better source, I'll keep on sewing and hand them out to anyone who will wear one. Next time I have to go out for supplies, I'll be sporting a homemade mask with a filter insert. Safe is the new sexy, I guess.

Do you think sewing a layer of HEPA filter material between the cloth be of any benefit or would there be a health concern about breathing through the HEPA filter layer?

Cheers!

Do you think sewing a layer of HEPA filter material between the cloth be of any benefit or would there be a health concern about breathing through the HEPA filter layer?

Cheers!

First of all - I am not an expert ... so draw your own conclusions.

The local health care folks have requested a specific pattern that has a pocket for removable and discard-able filter media. I am making that pattern. The "internet" (again, always suspect) is recommending using chopped up vacuum cleaner bags (the hepa variety) as a possible media. I don't think those are washable and so wouldn't sew them in. I happen to have a box of that kind of bag - each bag is large enough to stuff 4 masks. Here's the problem:

The virus has is about 0.125 micron size
Most of those bags have a 0.3 micron rating

Numbers is hard as rewahoo says....

Still, it seems to me that 2 layers of tightly woven cotton and one layer of not quite up to par hepa filter is waaaaay better than no protection.

I don't know what sort of filters the healthcare folks are stuffing into masks but they have made the request and I can help. Helping out makes me happy and is a distraction from the miserable and relentless news. Happy feels good.

Not Yet, But ...

We have N95 masks and filters from awhile back but have never worn them out. Did see two people in our Kroger's last weekend with masks but that was it so far. Might break them out if it warrants it.

Check the fine print

I have never looked for or seen them in grocery stores but I still see them sold online including Walmart.

Most websites such as Home Depot and Walmart will list the N95 masks for sale, but if you look closely they will also say they are sold out.

I read an article this morning about face masks but now I can’t find it to post the link. The summary of the article was that health officials told healthy people not to wear face masks because they won’t protect you against the virus. But the author suggests the real reason they said this was because they feared the health care community would run out of masks if everyone rushed out to buy them.

The WHO and CDC have very carefully worded their recommendations and they do NOT say "they won't protect you." However, I can see how that is the take away.

They absolutely have worded it to be clear the health professionals need them first.

All this hoarding has to stop. WE are the problem. WE are hoarding supplies, we are hoarding groceries. I'm really losing faith in the human race.

Yes. And latex gloves. And I take Clorox wipes and wipe down the cart, and after shopping wipe down my gloves before getting in car.

Shopped groceries for elderly relative today -took a lot longer than normal.
Felt anxiety rising while walking around the store trying to find stuff, having to interact w/staff etc.
While standing in aisle searching for a product, directly behind me came the nastiest, sickest sounding hacking ever heard. Turned around to see a teenage kid following his father past my cart, looking like death warmed-over.

WHAT THE HECK ARE PEOPLE THAT SICK DOING OUT IN PUBLIC?
A few people in the store wore masks, and at that moment wished I was one of them.

If I get COVID19, will have good idea how!

The WHO and CDC have very carefully worded their recommendations and they do NOT say "they won't protect you." However, I can see how that is the take away.

They absolutely have worded it to be clear the health professionals need them first.

All this hoarding has to stop. WE are the problem. WE are hoarding supplies, we are hoarding groceries. I'm really losing faith in the human race.

+1000

I have not worn a mask - because of shortages.

If 300 million people each had 2 masks, well - you can do that math - that's a lot of masks that are needed by professionals.

When masks are plentiful, I will wear one. Cannot hurt.

My friend from Italy says that all retail interactions are now behind "sneeze guards" over there - plexiglass panels - like the old bank tellers.

I can see a lot of that becoming permanent.

Stay safe !!

Sometime in the next week I will probably want to go to the supermarket. Last time was in a snowstorm so the store was mostly empty, but it was still a stressful event. I am thinking my next trip will probably include the use of a p100 respirator. Still feels like a supply run from The Walking Dead.

We stay home except for occasional car rides, runs at a nearby desolate soccer food or my venture to local grocery store. I’ve seen one mask. When I grocery shop, I go in the morning and avoid aisles with people in them. Sanitize my cart snd myself after I’m in my car. I get in and out. Check out at the self check. It freaks me out to see employees working as if nothing is nothing is going on...no protective gear at all. Stay home. Garden. Yard work. Read. Netflix.

What is making me sad is the littering of plastic gloves in the market parking lots and sidewalks nearby. On my bike ride I can count 2-3 for every mile of sidewalk, and I'm not talking highly residential routes. I guess some folks view their gloves as contaminated once they are used, but that doesn't mean toss them on the ground...

I don’t but there was a young man in the grocery store today in hospital scrubs, mask, and gloves.

He had his own bag and stripped off his gloves before removing his wallet.

There is a hospital nearby so I’m assuming he was on his way to work. Got my attention.

Some points about mask use:

- N95 masks are intended to protect users from inhaling small particles, including aerosols that contain viruses. These are best for healthcare workers and should be fit tested to ensure effectiveness.
- cloth fabric masks are less protective compared to N95 masks. They are often used by folks that may be infected so to protect others. This is the culture in much of Asia where it is your responsibility to protect others when sick.
- wearing a N95 mask when infected is not that useful to protect others as exhaled air is not filtered.

If you have stockpiles of N95 (or surgical cloth masks) in your home or business, please consider getting them to those on the frontline. Thanks

I don't understand all these masks I see on people. They won't help you. They will only help those who are sick from giving it to others. They should be in isolation anyway and shouldn't be out among people. I guess it makes people feel better wearing one. The virus does not float around in the air. It's expelled from people who cough or sneeze. Your best defense against catching this virus is social distancing (at least 6 ft recommended), wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face. Maybe wearing latex gloves might help remind you not to do that.

I have taken to wearing my homemade mask when leaving the house for any reason. I think it helps others know I’m taking the situation seriously so keep a safe distance. Reminds me not to touch my face and really helps reduce allergy symptoms with pollen count here sky high. I hope if enough of us wear a mask the ones who will really benefit will feel comforting donning their’s. Don’t really see a downside to wearing it.

It did remind me of how I felt the first time I went to school with glasses on at age 14.[emoji23]

Made a half dozen masks for local nonprofit and waiting for more elastic to come via Amazon to make more.

I don't understand all these masks I see on people. They won't help you. They will only help those who are sick from giving it to others. They should be in isolation anyway and shouldn't be out among people. I guess it makes people feel better wearing one. The virus does not float around in the air. It's expelled from people who cough or sneeze. Your best defense against catching this virus is social distancing (at least 6 ft recommended), wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face. Maybe wearing latex gloves might help remind you not to do that.

So that is simply not true for N95 masks.
If it was true, then hospital workers would not need masks.

It is becoming more prevalent here in Southern California since the number of cases are increasing. I was in our local post office yesterday, there were 5 people in the line with sufficient distancing. Four of us wore masks. Two guys wore what looked like dust masks. Two post clerks were serving; one had a mask on.

The old etiquette of holding the door for people coming in, seemed disappeared. People are avoiding each other or going around to another door. This is the downside of observing social distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom