Do you wear a mask in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew my N95 masks would never show up so I agreed to a substitute. Getting odd looks at the supermarket.

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 44
Here is what the CDC says about masks:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html

Wear a facemask if you are sick
If you are sick: You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then you should do your best to cover your coughs and sneezes, and people who are caring for you should wear a facemask if they enter your room. Learn what to do if you are sick.

If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

I think all of the people who are not medical experts and have opinions about wearing masks should think about why they really think that they know better than the CDC.

I think all of the people who are not medical experts and have opinions about wearing masks should think about why they really think that they know better than the CDC.

I think the government crafts its message to meet its priorities, rather than mine as an individual. YMMV.

This is the CDC, not the Administration. The CDC has actual scientists working on this stuff, so I think it is it is a more reliable source of information than anonymous discussion forums on the internet.

The World Health Organization, which is not part of the US government, says the same thing:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

Let's stop the spread of misinformation about this disease.

Here is what the CDC says about masks:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html

Wear a facemask if you are sick
If you are sick: You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then you should do your best to cover your coughs and sneezes, and people who are caring for you should wear a facemask if they enter your room. Learn what to do if you are sick.

If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

I will use all means to protect myself, including wearing a mask. All these arguments seem to suggest those of us who choose to wear, do not implement any other means such as washing hands, staying 6 feet away from anyone, but that is not true. We implement all those measures, AND wear a mask even if that adds only 1% extra protection, it is still more than not wearing one.

Do you also suggest soldiers give up bayonets since that is not effective when defending against bullets?

This is the CDC, not the Administration. The CDC has actual scientists working on this stuff, so I think it is it is a more reliable source of information than anonymous discussion forums on the internet.

The World Health Organization, which is not part of the US government, says the same thing:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

The CDC and the WHO are trying very hard to make sure that 100% of the mask supply goes to the front line: medical staff and first responders. This means they are saying things to try to reduce consumer demand for masks, regardless of the validity of what they are saying. If properly fitted masks do not protect you, why do medical staff need them? An exercise for the reader.

I have not, but saw a notable number of others doing so.

A lot of these mask discussions leave out a very valuable benefit of masks: a mask discourages the wearer from touching their face. That's a huge factor in preventing infections according to almost every source I've read.

I’m also skeptical of CDC advice regarding masks. I think it’s more to keep the supply available for health care workers than anything else. In China everyone was wearing a mask regardless of whether they were sick. And we now have more cases of infection than they do. And their population is much larger than ours.

I think the government crafts its message to meet its priorities, rather than mine as an individual. YMMV.

Exactly. I pay zero attention to this advice. We know N-95 masks are used in the hospital environment because they protect staff. If I go to a store here, a known hot spot, I assume I'm in the same environment as the hospital. One big petri dish.

However, if had an unopened box, I would donate it. Unopened packages are acceptable per the public requests. Opened packages are not.

I will use all means to protect myself, including wearing a mask. All these arguments seem to suggest those of us who choose to wear, do not implement any other means such as washing hands, staying 6 feet away from anyone, but that is not true. We implement all those measures, AND wear a mask even if that adds only 1% extra protection, it is still more than not wearing one.

Do you also suggest soldiers give up bayonets since that is not effective when defending against bullets?

Soldiers use fighting tactics given to them by their superior officers based on research and advice from military experts. They don't rely on hearsay from random strangers. Well, the more successful soldiers don't.

And no, the arguments about masks are based on the effectiveness of masks, and don't assume that you're not taking other measures.

Health care workers need masks because they are dealing with people who are known to have the virus and trying to save people's lives. They cannot stay 6 feet away. Are you dealing with people who have the virus and standing inches away from them?

If you have masks, you can donate them to hospitals and care homes to be used by frontline workers who are having to reuse masks or go without because there are not enough.

Soldiers use fighting tactics given to them by their superior officers based on research and advice from military experts. They don't rely on hearsay from random strangers. Well, the more successful soldiers don't.

And no, the arguments about masks are based on the effectiveness of masks, and don't assume that you're not taking other measures.

Health care workers need masks because they are dealing with people who are known to have the virus and trying to save people's lives. They cannot stay 6 feet away. Are you dealing with people who have the virus and standing inches away from them?

If you have masks, you can donate them to hospitals and care homes to be used by frontline workers who are having to reuse masks or go without because there are not enough.

Generals send soldiers to do what is needed when it is needed, even if it means heavy casualties.

If you wish to donate all of your PPE and run around licking doorknobs for the WHO, by all means please do so.

This I agree. The underlying issue is that we do not have enough, not because of effectiveness.

Rather than the CDC lying to the public saying a mask will not protect a person, unless they are a health care worker.
The Gov't should simply order as in Command mask making companies to send 98% of all masks they make to the gov't authorities.

These temporary types of orders were common in WWII, and has just occurred to order GM to make ventilators.
So do it with masks and gloves and other PPE.

I don't understand all these masks I see on people. They won't help you. They will only help those who are sick from giving it to others. They should be in isolation anyway and shouldn't be out among people. I guess it makes people feel better wearing one. The virus does not float around in the air. It's expelled from people who cough or sneeze. Your best defense against catching this virus is social distancing (at least 6 ft recommended), wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face. Maybe wearing latex gloves might help remind you not to do that.

Not so sure about what you say. "Airborne transmission is “plausible,” according to a study published in the print edition in the peer-reviewed The New England Journal of Medicine this week from scientists at Princeton University, UCLA and the National Institutes of Health. The researchers concluded that the virus could remain airborne for “up to 3 hours post aerosolization.”

I think I will wear the few used ones I have left from working with ceramics if I have to go our for groceries.

Cheers!

We're not going into the stores.

A long time ago I was a teaching assistant in microbiology at a state university, I taught labs to nursing and food science people. I did this while getting MA in biology while doing premed stuff.
As part of my duties I cultured organisms under hoods using an open flame and a nicromium wire loop that was sterilized in flame and became red hot. I had zero experience with viruses. We sterilized surfaces with zepharim chloride. sp? I did learn a lot about fomites (contaminated things). Transmission by touch and spread is so easy as these things are so numerous. I would touch something with the loop and streak a petri disk filled with solidi nutrients lightly. Flame the loop and streak across the line. Rotate and repeat. Took about 5 times to get just one of the buggers growing at a spot on the streak. Point is its not just who you are near. Like STD not just who you slept with who they slept with and that chain. It's who touched something that was contaminated soon enough ago to still have virus "alive" when I touch it.

I wear gloves and use disinfectant wipes and eye protection (have molded to face safety glasses) when I've gone down to the lobby to fetch mail at odd times later in day when no one is likely doing it. I go down the stair well and go up the elevator. This was fine as long as there were few cases here in Chicago.

I watched people coming and going in the lobby on the closed circuit video. No gloves, no wipes or tissues to open public doors. Last night used a mask for first time going to get the mail. Spouse is going out today to have people put groceries in our trunk and will also have gloves wipes mask and eye protection.

The mask we use now is not a N95 but we have a few of them to use should we hear of a case in the building or it escalating more. I've made hallway door more tight fitting, have a towel at bottom of door and have small amount of outside air coming in from balcony (50 feet from ground).

I have always been cautious and even wore seat belts from the start. We've been holed up for a couple weeks now.

I know this is a respiratory virus, and washing hands does wonders. Lets just keep the amount of stuff on our hands to a minimum as well.

The idea it wasn't somewhat airborne is old news from late January. New studies show it isn't measles (highly airborne), but it also isn't hepatitis either (body fluid only).

Again, the CDC doesn't say "Masks won't protect you." People get that message because the CDC says, "You do not need to wear a facemask." Their reason is in their statement, health professionals need them right now. It seems like their message is brilliantly working because people are now going about saying, "Masks don't work, don't wear them!" Wrong. Not what the CDC is saying. The message is very carefully worded. This is a great example of how propaganda wars work.

Last edited:
If you wish to ... run around licking doorknobs for the WHO, by all means please do so.
Wow. Is a comment like the really necessary? I hope that no-one in your family or in my family ends up in an underequipped hospital. I also hope that you enjoy your weekend.

Again, the CDC doesn't say "Masks won't protect you." People get that message because the CDC says, "You do not need to wear a facemask." Their reason is in their statement, health professionals need them right now. It seems like their message is brilliantly working because people are now going about saying, "Masks don't work, don't wear them!" Wrong. Not what the CDC is saying. The message is very carefully worded. This is a great example of how propaganda wars work.

That’s why I won’t wear a commercially made medical grade mask. Homemade only for me. I don’t want to take from essential or first responders and don’t want to encourage others to use medical grade masks for activities like getting mail, walking dog or even shopping. These should be donated, IMHO.

That’s why I won’t wear a commercially made medical grade mask. Homemade only for me. I don’t want to take from essential or first responders and don’t want to encourage others to use medical grade masks for activities like getting mail, walking dog or even shopping. These should be donated, IMHO.

I already donated all my new N95 masks but I have a couple of lightly used ones (lawn mowing) I have no qualms about wearing should I have to venture out into the public.

Rather than the CDC lying to the public saying a mask will not protect a person, unless they are a health care worker.
The Gov't should simply order as in Command mask making companies to send 98% of all masks they make to the gov't authorities.

These temporary types of orders were common in WWII, and has just occurred to order GM to make ventilators.
So do it with masks and gloves and other PPE.

Why would you want the government in between the manufacturers and the health care providers?

However, if had an unopened box, I would donate it. Unopened packages are acceptable per the public requests. Opened packages are not.

Around here, hospitals have said they are happy to accept new masks in opened boxes.

Of course. It's a definite - 'Yes Dear'. DW has sewn 'designer' his and hers for 'styling' when shopping. :LOL: :LOL: :angel: She loves an excuse to fire up the sewing machine.

Discretion being the better part of valor.

heh heh heh - I also have a drawer of Farm Aid and 'cowboy' kerchiefs waiting. ;) :cool:

Also guilty of trying to research the dry heat sterilization cycles we used in 1973 for items destined for Mars (Viking Lander et al).

heh heh heh - :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom