Don Shula Dead - RIP

I liked his philosophy - help each player be the best he can within the context of being a winning team.

He is still the only NFL coach to win the SB ending a perfect season. That was done in the days when football was played the way it should be. I still remember many on the team back then like Mercury Morris, Larry Csonka, Nick Buoniconti, Bob Griese, etc.... Some really tough guys.

So sad. May he RIP.

He is still the only NFL coach to win the SB ending a perfect season. That was done in the days when football was played the way it should be. I still remember many on the team back then like Mercury Morris, Larry Csonka, Nick Buoniconti, Bob Griese, etc.... Some really tough guys.

So sad. May he RIP.

Jim Kiick, Bob Kuechenberg, Larry Little, Paul Warfield, Earl Morral (who quaterbacked them to a 52-0 drubbing of the Jim Plunkett and the Pats that year) and the toughest of the tough, Garo Yapremian. Shula seemed like a great coach and good guy. Thanks for the memories and RIP.

Last edited:

Each year when the last NFL team undefeated team loses, they seemed to interview him each year, and give him some respect. I'm sure he took some pride and joy in that record. I'm glad he went to his grave keeping that record. RIP!

So sad. May he RIP.

Jim Kiick, Bob Kuechenberg, Larry Little, Paul Warfield, Earl Morral (who quaterbacked them to a 52-0 drubbing of the Jim Plunkett and the Pats that year) and the toughest of the tough, Garo Yapremian. Shula seemed like a great coach and good guy. Thanks for the memories and RIP.

I grew up a Patriots fan, and remember that drubbing.

But, the Dolphins, as I remember them, were a class act, and great to watch.

Shula had a lot of great talent, but so do a lot of coaches. He seemed to be able to get them to pull together for the greater good.

Shula had a lot of great talent, but so do a lot of coaches. He seemed to be able to get them to pull together for the greater good.

+1

He knew how to lead in a way that brought out each players talents for the greater good.

A little off topic, but reading here made google a little about some Dolphin players. Found this, on Wikipedia, about Larry Csonka: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Csonka#cite_note-11

During the 1971 off season Csonka starred in the critically well received off Broadway play of "Larry Csonka and the Chocolate Factory[11]". Due to financial backing and Larry's contract with the Dolphins barring him from any off season "strenuous activity" the play never gained commercial success, but for his efforts Csonka was nominated in the 1972 Obie Award[12] for best Actor, where he eventually lost to Douglas Rain[13] for his role in Vivat! Vivat Regina![14]

Sounded fishy, so I searched more. No other references (Surprise!!).

So, for those that trust Wiki, for ANYTHING, think twice.

EDIT to add: Obviously I know it a joke reference to Willy Wonka, but how much else in Wiki is pure BS?

Back
Top Bottom