DON'T Change Your Avatar

That photo was in my student ID card at university.

Coincidence, or what, that's where the pic of me came from too......

If that doesn't help, ask W2R. She has the biggest avatar so she must know something we don't. :D

One of the "perks" if you want to call it that of being a moderator/administrator is that you get to have a slightly larger image for an avatar of 120 x 120 pixels.

One of the "perks" if you want to call it that of being a moderator/administrator is that you get to have a slightly larger image for an avatar of 120 x 120 pixels.
Thanks, I was wondering why W2R had a life sized Eva avatar...;)

That explains how I got all of my hair to fit.

I'm another one recognizing people by their avatars more than their handles. And I always assumed Midpack was a woman. :flowers:

It's something the subconcious mind do while I'm busy reading I guess. But it is smart enough to understand that pictures of apes etc are not the real person. :D

Thanks, I was wondering why W2R had a life sized Eva avatar...;)

See? Even from nice people like you, responses to the Eva avatar are so enigmatic. Alan and other mods have equally large avatars, but they are not Eva so you weren't wondering about theirs. :)

I decided to move on to a JazzFest inspired avatar this week, since JazzFest is going on here in New Orleans. Lots of tourists and music.

Actually, like many locals I never go to JazzFest because they might as well call it "FoodFest" instead of JazzFest - - too much fattening food and not enough jazz. I can't eat that stuff or I'd weight six tons. Or "MudFest" because it always rains at least one day and the Fairgrounds, where it is held, gets extremely muddy. Interestingly, much of the music is not really jazz. Maroon Five played yesterday for example, and Harry Connick Jr. too, from what I understand.

Last edited:
But it is smart enough to understand that pictures of apes etc are not the real person. :D

"Hold it just one cotton pickin' minute......there...us apes don't monkey around!"

See? Even from nice people like you, responses to the Eva avatar are so enigmatic. Alan and other mods have equally large avatars, but they are not Eva so you weren't wondering about theirs. :)

I know. It is so unfair and we are so jealous! :LOL:

I know. It is so unfair and we are so jealous! :LOL:

:LOL: Exactly!!!

I love your little monkey swimming with his cell phone! Or maybe it's an iPad mini. Anyway, he looks utterly entranced by it. I can't even begin to imagine how the photographer got such a photo.

:LOL: Exactly!!!

I love your little monkey swimming with his cell phone! Or maybe it's an iPad mini. Anyway, he looks utterly entranced by it. I can't even begin to imagine how the photographer got such a photo.
Thanks! Captures my mood exactly. Just chilling and posting. :)

Actually, like many locals I never go to JazzFest because they might as well call it "FoodFest" instead of JazzFest - - too much fattening food and not enough jazz. I can't eat that stuff or I'd weight six tons. Or "MudFest" because it always rains at least one day and the Fairgrounds, where it is held, gets extremely muddy. ...

Like that Avatar!

DW actually has a pair of mudboots solely for Festivals--bought just before our last trip to JazzFest, which indeed is synonymous with mud! (The onsite food has never inspired us though; we always leave before the closing act begins, which allows us to walk back to our room in time to get into restaurants before the crush!)

Like that Avatar!
I made it from something I found on Google Images. In order to make it square, I had to cut out about half of it, including the sax player and drummer unfortunately.

168ae6f779d9f7a5a124f4717338c5c5.jpg

There's a story about that image I read in one of my photography books. IIRC, the photo was taken at a zoo, and the ape had reached through the bars of the cage and grabbed a young lady's cell phone. The image resulted from that event.

I don't know if she got her phone back.

here we go - violated the no changing avatar policy :LOL:

I changed it twice since this thread was created. I know I like to confuse people.

There's a story about that image I read in one of my photography books. IIRC, the photo was taken at a zoo, and the ape had reached through the bars of the cage and grabbed a young lady's cell phone. The image resulted from that event.

Fascinating! Thanks. :flowers:

Not disputing your story, but from the background steam it looks to me to be one of the Macaques who frequent Japanese hot springs in the wintertime.

Not disputing your story, but from the background steam it looks to me to be one of the Macaques who frequent Japanese hot springs in the wintertime.
Maybe Michael already explained and I missed it. Probably TMI, but it was an award winning shot.

Photographer: Marsel van Oosten, 2014

A tourist at Jigokudani Monkey Park, Japan, was so desperate to get a close-up of this young Japanese macaque in a natural hot spring that she held her phone ever nearer to her subject. Suddenly, the monkey snatched the device from her hand and retreated to the middle of the water to examine its prize. Marsel, who was leading a photographic tour at the time, saw the chance for a striking picture. His main challenge was the steam rising from the 42˚C water into the freezing air. ‘I wanted a really low angle,’ he explains, ‘but that meant getting close to the water. My lens was cold and kept fogging up, making focussing almost impossible.’ At first, the macaque just fumbled with the gadget. It had no idea what it had stolen but was nonetheless pleased with its new toy. It even managed to let the built-in flash go off a few times. When it finally held the phone just as a human would, looking intently at the screen, Marsel was ready to capture the image he had envisaged. Japanese macaques are thought to display culture, where a learned behaviour (most famously washing food) is passed on to other troop members and their descendants. But it remains to be seen if future generations of tech-savvy macaques emerge.

Facebook update | Marsel van Oosten | New Special Award: People's Choice | Wildlife Photographer of the Year

snow-monkey.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to go back to my regular avatar. Was feeling too out of place :blush:.

Maybe Michael already explained and I missed it. Probably TMI, but it was an award winning shot.

OK, Walt34 had said 'Zoo' and 'bars', but otherwise the basic story was the same.........great pic either way!

Is it just me or is that monkey giving the photographer the finger ?!
What a cheeky monkey !!

;)

Back
Top Bottom