Down Day in the Market !

down 1500 but still not enough for me to rebalance .... I thought I might be able to TLH some stuff but every single lot that I own is still in the profit zone (not that I'm complaining)

Maybe time to buy for some of us. For me, it is time to go out and eat and shop.....life goes on

This will drive out the nervous Nellies and the get-rich-quick crowd, thus leaving the rest of us with an opportunity to buy at prices that promise a richer future total return.

I'm just going to do nothing but post about it. As Looking4Ward said, it may not turn out to be that bad. I might be over-reacting. Trying not to be Chicken Little about this. :)

And, I am still planning on buying that SUV at some point this year. Just not sure when or what SUV, yet. I am encouraged by reading that Moemg likes her Rav4 so much, so I'm looking into that one again as well as two or three other models.

The prices on the Highlander are insane but the RAV 4 is too small. Honda has gone to a turbo motor on the CR-V on all the models except the base LX. Don't trust the longevity on the turbo. It looks like another 5 to 10 years for the Lexus for me...

Nice to have cash equivalents where no IRAs or 401k's have to be sold for a few years--until RMDs are taken.

Luckily, I was already at my pretty much 65/35 AA (although I guess that will have changed now). As in 2008/2009, since I am working and not drawing down, I can weather it. I will probably increase my contributions once I see things stabilize for a while to try and take advantage. Still 5+ years out, so hoping this too will pass and I will still only be 5 or so years out.

Earlier, said I would not be trading.

Couldn't help it to see the market drops so much, so step in to "help" and just bought a token amount of 5-figure worth of S&P index. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

I am curious to see how one of our group's favorite funds - PSSSST.....Wellesley has done over the past few days.

Van Total Mkt Idx

Jan 31 - $70.24
02/02 - $68.78 down 2.1%

Welllesly below:

Jan 31 - $27.11
02/02 - $26.78. down 1.2%

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of Kramer, but I think he has this part right, "it's just a bunch of idiots punching away on a computer for no good reason". I wish they would focus on percentages as opposed to raw points...I think that would reduce the excessive volatility.

Instead of cursing volatility, why not accept the market for what it is, and try to make money off it?

Last edited:
The market's fate on Monday and beyond will be determined by the outcome of The Big Game today. I just don't know which team winning will be good for the market.

Ok, figured this out, at least for today.

This will drive out the nervous Nellies and the get-rich-quick crowd, thus leaving the rest of us with an opportunity to buy at prices that promise a richer future total return.

I agree, let the sky is falling crowd get out while locking in their losses. I'll ride it out. Dow down about 900 (-3.5%) as I type this.

I also believe that the tax cuts and basic strength of the economy will come through and recovery will be fairly quick. Won't predict when the slide down will stop though.

Last edited:
Having ready for my up coming retirement (June 30th 2018) - I have 6 figure cash set aside ... hmm buying opportunity?

My post from the other day: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2018-ytd-investment-performance-thread-90118-3.html#post2005193

"I wonder what the reaction would be if we had an old school, no big deal, down 5% day. Imagine the news headlines with Dow Jones down 1300 points."

I guess we will find out.

Bought a little VTI in my son's UTMA account when we were down 1200 on the Dow. Who knows where we will end up at the end of the day. I had put the cash in mid January but was reluctant to invest any (until now).

Almost makes me with I didn't go OTA so I can catch the cable TV coverage :(.

I have been out shoveling snow off and on all day. Aren't they supposed to halt trading at some point? I don't know what "The Rule" on that is.

Erratic Behavior and hunky/chunky volatility often precedes Le Crache. Or maybe this is the necessary reset concomitant with that vertical pulse of the past several weeks

Anyone that's been waiting to convert some to Roth might pull the trigger today, or perhaps tomorrow will be even better...

How can you all remain calm. Its down more than 10% today alone and off 60% from its all time high.

Why didn't someone warn me about bitcoin! :D

Yeah, Bitcoin pricing in this market shows it's NOT an alternative to traditional markets as claimed by some enthusiasts.

'
Dilly Dilly:confused:?

Good Grief! Does that indicate this market correction means I can only afford Bud Light instead of the craft beer I now drink? Now that would be a big cut in my quality of life.

Say it ain't so.
I'd rather find some part time w**k then drink cheap beer.

I agree, let the sky is falling crowd get out while locking in their losses. I'll ride it out. Dow down about 900 (-3.5%) as I type this.

I also believe that the tax cuts and basic strength of the economy will come through and recovery will be fairly quick. Won't predict when the slide down will stop though.

Yes.

FWIW, in order to get the returns necessary for things like the 4% rule to work, the equity prices going into the last few days, may not have done the job. OTOH, a good 10-20% correction will help us get those future returns. My 2¢, take what you wish and leave the rest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom