Downtown Portland, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxChick1004

Confused about dryer sheets
I currently live in Dallas, TX and in the planning stages of my retirement. I always thought I was the move to Florida or somewhere near a beach retiree but my interests are changing as I'm getting older (50s). I know I will not stay in TX after retirement so I'm looking for a walkable location with close activies like theaters, museums and parks. I'm leaning towards condo/apartment living. Started looking at Portland, OR specifically the downtown area. Anyone here have any insite on the city life in Portland for retirees? Thanks!

Downtown area? Make sure you visit the place first.

I visited Portland downtown many times over the decades. Most recently, about 5 years ago, in an RV trip when I stayed at an RV campground in Vancouver, WA, over the river, I took the car to go to Portland for a visit. Could not find a place to park. Even the parking garages were full, so I gave up.

In our previous visits, street parking was free and abundant. Not anymore. Perhaps there was some event this time, but the city was crowded. Around Chinatown, there were parking meters everywhere with no available space, and it was not like that in our previous visits. Where the people come from? Are they residents or tourists?

Well, if you live there and do not need a car and walk everywhere, then it may be OK. Perhaps more downtown areas are becoming more like Manhattan. People just don't own cars there, period.

PS. I recall visiting Portland during the weekend on two separate occasions, and they used to have weekend festivities (don't know if it is still on going). And I was able to find street parking and it was free. Free street parking during festivities!

It's not the parking fee that bothers me, but when you cannot even get parking with pay, that tells me it's too crowded.

Last edited:
I'd suggest that you think about the political climate and the crime rate + the city's approach to crime now.

I've been there multiple times and will never go back for fun. I'm not sure how to provide details without getting political, so I'll leave the details out. My sister lives in the city just outside of the downtown area, so I've heard more than I want to about the downside to living there.

I'd suggest that you think about the political climate and the crime rate + the city's approach to crime now.

I've been there multiple times and will never go back for fun. I'm not sure how to provide details without getting political, so I'll leave the details out. My sister lives in the city just outside of the downtown area, so I've heard more than I want to about the downside to living there.

I'm definitely watching the highly charged political climate there. It is concerning. As for the high crime rate, I currently live in high crime area and although it would be nice to find a low crime area, I think that would eliminate so many wonderful cities.

Downtown area? Make sure you visit the place first.

I visited Portland downtown many times over the decades. Most recently, about 5 years ago, in an RV trip when I stayed at an RV campground in Vancouver, WA, over the river, I took the car to go to Portland for a visit. Could not find a place to park. Even the parking garages were full, so I gave up.

Well, if you live there and do not need a car and walk everywhere, then it may be OK. Perhaps more downtown areas are becoming more like Manhattan. People just don't own cars there, period.

PS. I recall visiting Portland during the weekend on two separate occasions, and they used to have weekend festivities (don't know if it is still on going). And I was able to find street parking and it was free. Free street parking during festivities!

It's not the parking fee that bothers me, but when you cannot even get parking with pay, that tells me it's too crowded.

I would love to give up my car but I know that wouldn't be likely in the beginning. But the highly rated transit there and Uber/Lyft it might make it easier to ditch the car after a while.

I would check out City Data forums to get more in depth answers to your specific questions. I live across the river in Vancouver, WA and love the Portland vibe, but hate the traffic and congestion.

Not so sure about Portland. I don't think it is as nice as it was 10-20 years ago. If I was wanting to move out to Oregon I would take a look at Astoria. I actually fell in love with that town and it is about an hour to the west of Portland on the Columbia River where it enters the Pacific Ocean. If you wanted to do something in the big city you could drive in for the day. I might even look into Hood River, OR which is an hour or so East of Portland.

If Seattle is also in your sights you may want to check out Port Angeles and or Port Townsend on the sound. Easy commute via a ferry into the big city.

If an East coast destination is interesting you might want to give some thought to the DC area. Get somewhere in North Virginia near the metro buses or metro rail subway system and you are an easy shot into town. No better place I have found for museums, the arts and things to do.

If you're looking at a walkable beach area, may I suggest where may people from Dallas spend their vacations--Seaside, Florida. It's just west of Panama City--east of Destin.

Portland's got difficulties.

+1 My husband grew up in Portland OR and will NEVER return. He is still a DUCKS fan.

We used to make regular trips down to Portland for entertainment and Powell's bookstore, but we haven't been in a few years. The homelessness is definitely in crisis proportions IMHO. We have done a trip to Astoria, and it was wonderful, so I second that recommendation if you want to stick with OR.

My brother's in-laws parents bought a condo there a few years ago and ended up selling it and moving to suburbs because they were continuously stepping over homeless people. That being said, My DW and I went to the downtown Saturday Market a week ago and had no trouble finding parking and had a delightful shopping experience. Ate dinner on 23rd St in Pearl District and parking was a little tougher but doable. Overall our daytime experience was enjoyable.

I recommend you check out Seattle. While Seattle is dealing with homeless/drug issues, it is no longer having a problem with civil unrest, and the city is beautiful once again. Portland is still struggling with basic civil unrest issues. Outside of Portland, Oregon is great.

I have a retiree friend who has lived in Portland for decades, and is very happy there. I've visited her a couple of times, and her neighborhood is very nice. It's very close to the Trader Joe's on NW Glisan St, as I recall. She told me the unrest has been a non-issue where she lives, even though she's within walking distance of downtown.

I live about five miles from downtown Portland and won't go down there now. In the last three years the city has really changed. It was once a beautiful city and now it is filled with homeless camps, garbage, a lot of untreated mental illness and a lot of hard core drug users. We had some of that before, but now it has taken over and it is not just downtown. I've never seen the amount of theft like we are experiencing now either. Catalytic converter and car theft are rampant.

Gun violence used to be in select areas, now it occurs seemingly randomly around Portland.

I have high hopes that things will turn around here, but in the meantime, I'm sad to say, Portland has turned into a dump.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk further.

I lived in Texas and currently live in the Portland area. First, weather: you may want to rent (not buy) for a year as a trial. For many people, the dreary sunless rainy season (a contiguous 7-8 months of the year) can be depressing, especially if you're used to the Texas sunshine. It doesn't bother me, but some can't deal with it. Taxes can be high, depending on your income/spending. The Portland homeless problem is, well, terrible, with tents/tarps everywhere. The political climate is very left, which you may or may not want. The green, lush climate and parks/mountains/forests/coast are simply outstanding.

My best friend's son who moved to Portland with his family (wife, teenage daughter, young son) two years ago just sold their house there and are moving back to Tyler, Texas. I don't know all the reasons, but from what I hear from my friend, the son and wife did not want the kids raised in the Portland area.

Luckily, his old job was open back here in Texas so the move was do able.

I (& my SO) were just downtown last night. We parked (free) about a half block from a whiskey place that we tried. Then walked a block over the the Schnitz (Theatre) & heard david Sedaris give a talk. It was a beautiful night. There was a sidewalk tent (homeless) on the block. We didn't bother them they didn't bother us. Portland is starting to clean out homeless camps. It's going to take a while. Maybe years. There was a homeless camp fire next to the freeway on the way in. While looking at traffic on maps there was another camp fire on a different part of the freeway. The whiskey bar was good. I had some moonshine.After the show we did not notice any boarded up windows. We were a few blocks up from the "action" last year

I'd visit a few times. Downtown is not what it was. Portland is really a collection of neighborhoods. Sellwood, Woodstock, Ladds, Pearl, etc. Each has a different vibe. If you are in the 'hoods you don't notice what is happening downtown. Downtown may be changed by the WFH. Without office workers there is lots less foot traffic downtown. So the ancillary shops & restaraunts will be changed. Good for parking! It's going to take time to restructure those spaces.

I would not live in Portland proper because taxes are unreal. Property taxes are high (because no sales tax) Schools seem to get every bond they put up even after gross mismanagement. Metro got an affordable housing bond recently. There was a homeless bond iirc. More I'm forgetting

Last edited:
I live about five miles from downtown Portland and won't go down there now. In the last three years the city has really changed. It was once a beautiful city and now it is filled with homeless camps, garbage, a lot of untreated mental illness and a lot of hard core drug users. We had some of that before, but now it has taken over and it is not just downtown. I've never seen the amount of theft like we are experiencing now either. Catalytic converter and car theft are rampant.

Gun violence used to be in select areas, now it occurs seemingly randomly around Portland.

I have high hopes that things will turn around here, but in the meantime, I'm sad to say, Portland has turned into a dump.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk further.

As a 45 year resident of Oregon, and just 50 miles to the south of Portland, I sadly must agree with Helen's comments.

I recall just in the last two months news of two murders in the downtown Portland area. Also about two or three months ago local TV station KATU2 ran a series "Is Portland Over?" just about the crime, riots, unrest, shootings, boarded up downtown shops, and overall cultural climate of Portland in the last few years.

As well, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country, has the worst estate tax with lowest exemption amount in the country, and property taxes seem to just keep climbing.

Though I live 50 miles south of Portland, in the last two to three years Salem has started to resemble Portland in terms of homeless issues.

It makes me sad. :(

Concur on Salem, and Portland has been outside my comfort zone for some time.

I live in Camas, WA about a half hour east of downtown Portland. While there are fun things to see and do, it's certainly not a place I would want to live (or any big city for that matter). If you want to be close to the activities in Portland, I would choose a suburb near one of the Max light rail lines. There are several rail lines so it gives you a wide radius around the city to choose from. I hate dealing with traffic and parking when going into Portland, so we always park out near the airport and take the light rail into town (or out to Washington Park and the Zoo). It's faster and a lot less stress.

And yes, there are homeless issues in Portland, but that's a growing problem everywhere these days.

As for Astoria, it's a nice town on the coast but it is a smaller town. If you're after big city life you won't find that in Astoria. Still, it's a nice town, and a great town to visit. Unless you're a tourist, I don't think there's much to do there. For what it's worth, there were plenty of homeless folks in Astoria when we were there last year. Like I said, it's a problem everywhere.

Oregon is a beautiful state with many places to visit, but I don't think it's very friendly to retirees. High property taxes, income taxes, etc. Washington would be a better option in the PNW, and there are a few big cities if you're looking for big city life.

As a 45 year resident of Oregon, and just 50 miles to the south of Portland, I sadly must agree with Helen's comments.

I recall just in the last two months news of two murders in the downtown Portland area. Also about two or three months ago local TV station KATU2 ran a series "Is Portland Over?" just about the crime, riots, unrest, shootings, boarded up downtown shops, and overall cultural climate of Portland in the last few years.

As well, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country, has the worst estate tax with lowest exemption amount in the country, and property taxes seem to just keep climbing.

Though I live 50 miles south of Portland, in the last two to three years Salem has started to resemble Portland in terms of homeless issues.

It makes me sad. :(
C'mon down to my 'hood. No state income tax, no homeless population and sunshine everyday of the year.

I live in Camas, WA about a half hour east of downtown Portland. While there are fun things to see and do, it's certainly not a place I would want to live (or any big city for that matter)...

And yes, there are homeless issues in Portland, but that's a growing problem everywhere these days...

I lived in the suburb all my life, and had enjoyed visiting the downtown of large cities in my travel. But what I have seen and read on the news the last few years scares the heck out of me, and I am not sure I want to do that anymore. Good thing I have visited many large and well-known cities, and will not feel that I am missing out if I don't go anymore.

Here's a random video YouTube somehow selected to recommend to me just now. It's about transgression by homeless people in Hollywood. Tell me if it does not scare you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom