Downtown Portland, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I’d be scared too based on these videos. And I live in one of these cities!

I don’t want to understate the problem. The reality is things have spread, but these cities can still be very livable. It all depends on location, along with your tolerance. Living in one of these cities for decades, it is frustrating at how it’s progressed. Part of it is because these cities are thriving. Seattle had one of the largest growth rates in the US last year. If everyone is moving here, it can’t be that bad, right?

And I know this thread is about Portland. I just wanted to point out that if you’re curious, you should check it out in person. The reality will be different, but then you need to figure out if it works for you.

Seattle is a big city. South Seattle is nothing like the area around Pike Place, but then it is suburban, and not downtown with the amenities within walking distances. Perhaps the area further north around the University is safer, but also has many shops and restaurants.

The question is if one really wants to be in the downtown area, however it is defined, and if one needs to be there. Or perhaps one just wants to have many shops and restaurants nearby. One does not have to be downtown to have that. And downtown is still a big area. Again, you need to hope that the bad situation does not spread. Better to rent than to own, so that you can bail out and move quickly if need to.

PS. Google Map defines Portland Downtown as the area between Broadway Bridge in the north down to Tilikum Bridge, and sandwiched between I-405 to the west and the Willamette River to the east.

Last edited:
I recommend you check out Seattle. While Seattle is dealing with homeless/drug issues, it is no longer having a problem with civil unrest, and the city is beautiful once again. Portland is still struggling with basic civil unrest issues. Outside of Portland, Oregon is great.

Seattle is pretty walkable especially if you find someplace near a light rail stop

OP, I wouldn't zero in on any city until I spent time there. We were never city people ourselves, but do see the appeals.

Seattle is a big city. One visit, I decided to check out Discovery Park, and I suspect some Seattleites may not know of it. There was an Indian Cultural Center in the park, and on our visit they had a Pow Wow. They even invited me to join in the feast, but I felt too awkward.

Needless to say, that corner of Seattle is no downtown. My kind of place, but it's expensive! If I had that money, I would go for waterfront on Bainbridge Island.

Seattle is a big city. One visit, I decided to check out Discovery Park, and I suspect some Seattleites may not know of it. There was an Indian Cultural Center in the park, and on our visit they had a Pow Wow. They even invited me to join in the feast, but I felt too awkward.

Needless to say, that corner of Seattle is no downtown. My kind of place, but it's expensive! If I had that money, I would go for waterfront on Bainbridge Island.

Great spot, but definitely a bit out of the way. It’s a big enough park where you can feel that you’re not near a big city, much less in the city.

And the upside is it’s close to Ballard and all it’s breweries.

On another trip, we decided to check out Mercer Island (on Lake Washington, 2 miles east of Seattle). Nice homes, and rich people lived there. After hanging out at a park and walking a few trails, I drove around looking to see what shops/restaurants were on the island. I only saw a small shopping center, and stopped to look around. I chatted with a shop owner. He said that the police there was strict, and would chase vagrants out of town.

Now, Mercer Island is an incorporated city, and separate from Seattle. But when people talk about the boom around Seattle, it may be about the entire metropolitan, which is a lot more than Seattle, which itself is large.

Plenty of nice living places for well-paid employees of Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, etc... I suspect that they don't go to downtown much, the same way I don't go to downtown Phoenix unless I was called for jury duty at the Superior Court, or Municipal Court.

But when I go to Seattle, as a tourist, I always go to the International District to have some Chinese food. Then, drove around the Pioneer Square to see what changed. If I could find a parking spot, would get out and walked a bit.

These places, I used to visit back when street parking was free with no parking meters, and plentiful.

Last edited:
Back to Portland, the OP's subject of this thread. Just now listening to the evening news on TV KATU2 channel. They report 2020 was the most violent in Portland in a decade. And say so far 2021 is on pace to be even worse than 2020. Report says Portlanders want some action to curb the violence.

I live near Portland and haven't been downtown in a couple of years. Have no intention of going there. Homelessness is terrible, sky rocketing crime, drugs, gang violence, high taxes and housing, and high cost of living. I own two rentals in the Multnomah Village area and am selling them. The politicians are unreal when it comes to landlords. The DA refuses to prosecute people. I know police officers that have retired or left because of that and Portland is desperately trying to rehire retired officers because of the loss of them and the sky rocketing crime, murder and violence. You could not pay me to live there.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I understand the need to take each response with a grain of salt, taking consideration for everyone's comfort zones and political leanings. I do plan on renting first wherever i choose to retire. I love the PNW and especially Oregon so it is still at the top of my list. I will also check out the many alternatives y'all posted. They all sound lovely.

I had just finished my dinner when I watched this. I am so glad I watched it after dinner, and not during!

As for the discussion on the homeless situation in Portland, we are experiencing the same thing here in Oakland. It's the same in Los Angeles, and I'm sure many other large metro areas too. There is an encampment a few minutes walk from my house, which is being cleared out by the city this week. The causes, IMO, are multiple, and systemic. Anyway, that's a discussion for another time. I just wanted to comment on the hot bucket of diarrhea :(

My DIL spends a lot of time in Oakland for her job. I was surprised to hear her say that when this gig started earlier this year, she was shocked to see the high levels of homelessness, especially close to her office. She's changed her accommodations and commute for safety reasons on advise of her co-workers and management. Sheeesh.......

Thanks for an interesting conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom