Driver putting pressure on golf game

^ it's a lot easier to hit the green with a PW than it is with a 5 iron, js

I would hazard that anyone hitting a five iron into the green is playing from the wrong tees for their ability anyway. Or maybe just a short knocker. :)

I would hazard that anyone hitting a five iron into the green is playing from the wrong tees for their ability anyway. Or maybe just a short knocker. :)

well depends, maybe you hit a bad drive, maybe it's a long par 4?

point being distance is important - 260 (normally) puts a wedge in my hand, 220 doesn't

Last edited:
I learned a lot by reading Tom Watson's book "Getting Up and Down" where he teaches to play a hole backwards from green to tee to help decide where you want to be on a hole for the approach, second shot, etc and selecting the club to put you there. Thinking it through strategically seems to help bring scores down a bit for me. I found it easier to hit a full pitching wedge into a green rather than a half wedge from fifty yards out since I knew my club distances when I played regularly.

Being a short knocker myself now, I try not to play a course that is just too long for my ability. A friend just played Pinehurst #2 and did not enjoy it as it was just too difficult for a mere mortal. Said the caddy just told them to put away their pencils and not keep score and they would enjoy their day but to keep score would be frustrating.

I learned a lot by reading Tom Watson's book "Getting Up and Down" where he teaches to play a hole backwards from green to tee to help decide where you want to be on a hole for the approach, second shot, etc and selecting the club to put you there.

My general rule of thumb on non-par 3's is to look where the 150 marker is...if I can hit to it or close to it, then I have a manageable iron to the green. That allows me to hit a long iron or hybrid on short holes which increases the odds of keeping it in play. We have a local "feel good" course that has a lot of 340 and 360 par 4's...the driver rarely comes out on those holes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom