Driving in wintertime ?risks?

Does the car have traction control? Makes a huge difference. A buddy and I went over a pass in the spring with a freak 6" snowfall and pulling a 1000# trailer; even the state patrol was having problems. This was a toyota venza.

It burped once and got to it after a little orange light appeared on the dash.

I agree with one of the previous posters, only area of concern would be the Flagstaff area, but you'll just have to monitor the weather patterns as you approach. Past Flagstaff is mostly desert driving. For the CA portion stay on I-40 or I-10 into LA and avoid any routes further north of that. If you take I-40 you'll likely need to take I-15 south as you approach LA and go over the Cajon Pass; not a high mountain range but the CHP usually closes it if they even get a whiff of a snowflake.

For the most part if you stick to the interstates they do a good job of either keeping them clear, or pulling traffic off the road if storm conditions make the route hazardous. Either way on an extended road trip you should plan on stocking some basic provisions - extra food, water, some blankets - and you'll be fine.

Enjoy it, I do love a good road trip.

For the most part if you stick to the interstates they do a good job of either keeping them clear, or pulling traffic off the road if storm conditions make the route hazardous. Either way on an extended road trip you should plan on stocking some basic provisions - extra food, water, some blankets - and you'll be fine.

Enjoy it, I do love a good road trip.
Maybe. But I've come across I-90 through Montana and Idaho, or I-5 through the Siskiyous when the landscape was littered with 18 wheelers. I recommend leaving winter mountain driving to truckers and skiers. It is just grueling.

Ha

Maybe. But I've come across I-90 through Montana and Idaho, or I-5 through the Siskiyous when the landscape was littered with 18 wheelers. I recommend leaving winter mountain driving to truckers and skiers. It is just grueling.

Ha

I was referring to the I-40 or I-10 routes through the southwest, sorry if that wasn't clear. Obviously winter driving through any route in Montana or Idaho is a different animal.

We often drive through the mountains to the west coast.

But, we watch the weather carefully before we leave. If the roads are in good shape with no bad weather predicted, then we go. If not, we don't bother. Driving back has sometimes been an issue but you will not have to deal with this. The weather can change quickly. In addition to following the weather, we check for road cams. We try and hit the mountainous areas about 10AM...not too early just in case the black ice is still there and/or the road crews have not sanded/salted. Take an extra jug of windshield washer with you, a shovel, and of course some winter clothing.

We often drive through the mountains to the west coast.

But, we watch the weather carefully before we leave. If the roads are in good shape with no bad weather predicted, then we go. If not, we don't bother. Driving back has sometimes been an issue but you will not have to deal with this. The weather can change quickly. In addition to following the weather, we check for road cams. We try and hit the mountainous areas about 10AM...not too early just in case the black ice is still there and/or the road crews have not sanded/salted. Take an extra jug of windshield washer with you, a shovel, and of course some winter clothing.

+1
We have made several trips from the NW to Texas in Jan and managed to make the trip with some careful timing and using road cams for routing with not too much stress.
My two cents would be to watch the west coast weather and see what is headed east. Diciest piece as others have mentioned will be I-40 from NM to AZ line. Personally, if you see questionable weather, I would get S to I-10 while still in Texas. Big stretches of I-40 can shutdown if they get a big winter storm.
Nwsteve

Back
Top Bottom