Driving Route Advice: I-77, I-81 vs. I-95

I-81 is a much prettier route, but we came up I-95 two weeks ago to Philadelphia area. We passed through Washington midday and had no problem. There’s always a risk, but we were fortunate.

One question occurs is sight seeing out of the question on the drive? If you don't mind taking more time, you could catch the blue ridge parkway in NC (around Asheville) and drive up it as far as you want. (NO need for an entrance pass till Shenandoah National Park.) It has absolutly no trucks but does have a 50 mph speed limit. But is far more scenic than any freeway. Note that you can at the various exists from the parkway head west to I 81. (for example if you exit the parkway at Waynesboro Va you can get over to i 81 in about 15 mi. )
The parkway speed limit is 45, and you often can't go that fast because of the curves, or other cars moseying along. It also meanders a lot so that adds a lot of miles too. I'd bet it would take close to twice as long to go from Asheville to Waynesboro via the parkway vs. interstate-- perhaps 10 hours vs. 5. It's beautiful if you wanted to extend your trip with a scenic drive. But not everyone finds driving a windy mountain road relaxing.

In Virginia the parkway does stay near I-81 once you cross I-77, but in NC it is not all that close or easy to get to the interstate after Asheville.

We just drove from Charlotte to Harrisonburg (VA). I was pleasantly surprised that the semi's on I-81 most always adhered to the, "stay the hell out of the left lane - yeah, YOU" rule. We seldom wandered below the posted speed limit due to large trucks (and, because it was VA, we seldom wandered more than 5 over).

Anyway, just weighing in that on 4-14-2018, I-81 was easy-breezy-peasy.

If the wheels come off tomorrow en route to DC, I'll update this post.

We just drove from Charlotte to Harrisonburg (VA). I was pleasantly surprised that the semi's on I-81 most always adhered to the, "stay the hell out of the left lane - yeah, YOU" rule. We seldom wandered below the posted speed limit due to large trucks (and, because it was VA, we seldom wandered more than 5 over).

Anyway, just weighing in that on 4-14-2018, I-81 was easy-breezy-peasy.

If the wheels come off tomorrow en route to DC, I'll update this post.
Go to Jack Brown's downtown for a beer and burger. Or Billy Jack's next door for sliders and beer. Both are great hole-in-the-wall joints.

Go to Jack Brown's downtown for a beer and burger. Or Billy Jack's next door for sliders and beer. Both are great hole-in-the-wall joints.

Thanks. Perhaps next time.

After a late start out of the Charlotte burbs, we opted to shelter in place once we got to the hotel.

I-81 is beautiful, and had no trouble going up it (toward Pennsylvania) one fine Sunday morning.

But coming back down it the next Tuesday we noticed northbound traffic was backed up for at least 20 miles south of the Virginia Tech exit.

Here (~30 miles east of I-77) we take I-40 to US 29 (through Charlottesville, VA) to I-66 to DC.

Back
Top Bottom