Dryer Sheet Hacks

Wow. Makes me wonder what the "active ingredient" is in dryer sheets.

I heard they can also be used to scrub bathroom grout... Haven't tried that yet.

I can only conclude that I only need 2 things to clean anything: vinegar and water, or dryer sheet and water.

DW swears if you pin one to your shirt pocket area, or just below the t-shirt neckline, it works as a mosquito repellant. I've tried it and it works pretty good. It covers Mostly around your head and arm area. YMMV.

Wet dryer sheets do a great job of cleaning bugs off of the front of your vehicle.

I like that the article disses ethanol (aka alcohol that many people drink) as terribly bad for you.

FWIW, I don't use dryer sheets nor fabric softener after I repaired my dryer years ago and found residue on all the downstream air passages and parts.

The residue in your dryer's exhaust vent can easily ignite, burning your house down.

Benzyl alcohol is carcinogenic.

Wet dryer sheets do a great job of cleaning bugs off of the front of your vehicle.
OM! Thank you.

I never knew anything removed bugs from the front of a vehicle!

OM! Thank you.

I never knew anything removed bugs from the front of a vehicle!

Another thing that works well is wet newspapers. I learned about that when I owned an airplane - one needs to be careful cleaning the plexiglass windshield and windows (very expensive!) and when I had a motorcycle with a plexiglass windshield, I'd wet newspapers to just shy of dripping wet, let them sit on the windshield for ~20 minutes, then just wipe the bugs off.

Of course your hands get black with the ink but it washes off easily enough with soap & water. For some reason the ink doesn't stick to the windows. I never found an easier way to clean plastic windows without scratching them. Note carefully though that the newspaper must be wet.

Another thing that works well is wet newspapers. I learned about that when I owned an airplane - one needs to be careful cleaning the plexiglass windshield and windows (very expensive!) and when I had a motorcycle with a plexiglass windshield, I'd wet newspapers to just shy of dripping wet, let them sit on the windshield for ~20 minutes, then just wipe the bugs off.

Of course your hands get black with the ink but it washes off easily enough with soap & water. For some reason the ink doesn't stick to the windows. I never found an easier way to clean plastic windows without scratching them. Note carefully though that the newspaper must be wet.

Do newspapers still exist?

For those of you who don't use dryer sheets or newspapers...

The fiberglass front of travel trailers and 5th wheels also collect a lot of bugs and like plexiglass, you have to be careful what you use to remove them. Dryer sheets are OK, but the best thing I've found is a cheap cleaning solution called Totally Awesome, available at Dollar Tree for - yep, $1.

Spray it on, let it soak for 30 seconds, then wipe off with a damp cloth.

Back
Top Bottom