DW Got Injured While Looking at a House for Sale; Are Homeowners Liable?

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery for your DW.

I agree that this is not a suing situation, but their homeowners insurance may reimburse you for out-of-pocket expenses or ask you to sign a waiver for a set amount. You should have plenty of time to decide on any settlement from their homeowner’s insurance.

FYI - where we live the sidewalk parallel to the street is 100% the homeowners responsibility although governed by the city. The homeowner is responsible for falls on the sidewalk as well as repairs, but the city can force the homeowner to do repairs if the sidewalk is out of their specifications. Our city forces hundreds of repairs every year - most due to separations at different levels.

Can I ask you a question? If you don't want to answer that's fine too. Your DW unfortunately due to some medical issues took a bad fall at a place where most people would not have the same result.

Now you talk about maybe suing of any long lasting issues pop up, so far so good, no problem. Yet you are hoping to sell a house that you consider a hazard to both your mental and physical health. Difference here is a one off fall which both parties had some responsibility for and one party knowing there is a big problem they are trying to get rid of. How are you reconciling this in your mind? Are you prepared to have the buyer of your house sue you? Cause I'd sue you if I found out the whole story.
I don't mind answering at all. I have asked our immediate neighbors about the smoke problem and they (on both sides of us) are unaware of it. There is no mention of any type of smoke problem on the neighborhood Facebook page. Also, I am beginning to think both DW and I are sensitive and allergic to it. On our drive south through the Shenandoah Valley of about 100 miles two days ago to see the house where DW fell (it was outside of the valley), I continuously noticed the same acrid foul wood smoke smell and my throat was sore and eyes burned. DW had coughing spells as well. Soon as we turned east and exited the valley, the smell was gone as were our symptoms. I also smell the same smoke smell all over the Winchester area (I'm now sensitized to it). Since we are retired, we are home 24 hours a day. I now believe what we are experiencing may not affect someone who works and/or does not have smoke allergies. Also, it was nowhere the issue it became before I noticed the house 400 feet upwind with it's chimney smoking so bad the house was obscured. This, knowing the origin of the smoke makes one keenly aware of it, almost hypervigilant. This was a year after moving in.

I don't think the fact DW has a condition that makes her more prone to not pick up her feet to a height that most people do absolves a homeowner from liability if they let their walkway fall into disrepair, creating a dangerous condition. I also think DW is part at fault too.

As for liability concerns of selling my current house, I have none. Virginia when buying a house, is strictly a "buyer beware" state where both parties must sign forms attesting that they know this and the seller makes no claims as to the fitness of the house or not, and the seller should exercise due diligence and do their research prior to agreeing to purchase. There is no duty on the seller to inform the buyer of defects with the house.

Also, I do not view a nearby house with a smokey wood-burning stove as a defect of the house I live in. It perhaps is defect in the neighborhood or location, or just bad luck. It is external to my house.

And finally, I never noted in my wood smoke thread I felt the previous owner (the seller when I was the buyer) of my house was responsible or kept this information from me. If I did, I certainly would have mentioned it in it in the wood smoke thread. Therefore, I would not expect a buyer of my house to think I was liable.

Last edited:
Us too. Saw some tripping, and did my own tripping. It was both the sidewalk and front steps. Sidewalk had the 1/2" lip, steps sunk a good 1" making the last step out of sequence with the others.

We ended up dropping a bit more than $1k on concrete jacking service. It worked very well. I figured, spend 1k here and get peace of mind, or spend $1k on my insurance deductible and potentially worry about someone's changed life after they tripped and crushed their head on our brick steps.
Thanks JoeWras. I was reading about trip and fall incidents and it is a lot more prevalent than I thought. And it happens to people with perfect reflexes and mobility.

DW swears the vertical difference in height between the two walkway segments where she tripped "is one or more inches". I never saw it from the front side because I was looking around the yard while walking and then DW went down and I ran over to her. At that point I was looking from the high side to the low side and could not see the actual drop off. I never walked over to view the hight from the low side due to my tending to DW and in fact, it never crossed my mind. My comment of probably half an inch was because of a quick glance from the backside (high side).

Sorry to hear about your wife's injuries and the terrible day both of you had. It must have been terrifying, seeing all of the blood and not knowing the extent of the damage. I wish her a full and speedy recovery.

I agree with others as aging adults, we each have a responsibility to have heightened awareness of our surrounding, especially in unfamiliar places. To the extent you are aware that you DW has a propensity to fall, even if it is a small propensity, there is an opportunity for you and as appropriate, other loved ones to hold her hand when walking. My wife has stabilized me on several occasions as we walk, when I am distracted by a bird, the moon, a siren...or daydreaming about FIRE.

As far as legal action, a litmus test you might apply... let's say your wife did not fall at house listed for sale and you ultimately purchased it. Being completely objective, would you have noticed and/or proactively replaced the specific sidewalk or other sidewalks on the property if you were aware of a 1/2 or 1" differential in height between cement blocks? What I intend by asking this question to understand what you believe to be the standard for a "reasonable" person's action, including yourself.

In our neighborhood, differences in height of several inches are typically the basis for remediating sidewalks. I had one block of cement replaced when I detected a 1" bump....literally everyone I know thought I was unreasonable in doing so (that's a clean/kind way of conveying what they said to me).

Last edited:
....I might add, when I was a young teen, I recollect my parents returning from their nightly walk and my mother having a very similar set of injuries after tripping in front of a neighbors house. This accident occurred days before my older brother's wedding. Mom looked like she was hit by a train....she made the wedding, was thrilled be alive and subsequently learned that in the city where it occurred there as a stipulation that unless there was written proof of an non-remediated sidewalk crack...there was no basis to sue (Mom had no intention of suing). Fast forward, My DW was walking our dog (many years ago) at night an tripped on a sidewalk that was elevated by several inches. Nasty contusion that to this day never healed fully. The house is owned by two doctors...we never thought of suing, just not how we are wired. My DM and DW's medical bills were covered by employer sponsored group health insurance, minus deductibles that served as a reminded to pay increased attention when walking, especially at night or in bad weather.

Sooner or later your medical insurance company will ask your wife how the injury happened, specifically if work related or otherwise could be billed to someone else.

Just to add a bit of levity to this thread...

5 or 6 months following my only hospitalization, I received a call from the insurance company asking if someone else could be responsible for my “injury”. I replied yes. And then added that I had delivered a baby (c-section). I could hear the agent’s excitement in my first response and then deflation at my further explanation. I hate insurance company games, so I still take pleasure remembering this encounter.

OP, I’m glad to hear your wife is improving. I hope her recovery is swift.

5 or 6 months following my only hospitalization, I received a call from the insurance company asking if someone else could be responsible for my “injury”. I replied yes. And then added that I had delivered a baby (c-section). I could hear the agent’s excitement in my first response and then deflation at my further explanation. I hate insurance company games, so I still take pleasure remembering this encounter.

OP, I’m glad to hear your wife is improving. I hope her recovery is swift.

On two occasions when my DW had spinal tumors removed, we got the "did an accident cause this" letter. I dug into it the second time and that's when I learned about the automatic trigger from some set billing codes...yet, tumor resection isn't one of those codes. When I asked the insurance folks about it, they just said, "I dunno...happens all the time." So, I tend to think that they are sent out either on a random basis, or more often than not.

Sorry to hear about your wife's injuries and the terrible day both of you had. It must have been terrifying, seeing all of the blood and not knowing the extent of the damage. I wish her a full and speedy recovery.

I agree with others as aging adults, we each have a responsibility to have heightened awareness of our surrounding, especially in unfamiliar places. To the extent you are aware that you DW has a propensity to fall, even if it is a small propensity, there is an opportunity for you and as appropriate, other loved ones to hold her hand when walking.
My wife has stabilized me on several occasions as we walk, when I am distracted by a bird, the moon, a siren...or daydreaming about FIRE.

As far as legal action, a litmus test you might apply... let's say your wife did not fall at house listed for sale and you ultimately purchased it. Being completely objective, would you have noticed and/or proactively replaced the specific sidewalk or other sidewalks on the property if you were aware of a 1/2 or 1" differential in height between cement blocks? What I intend by asking this question to understand what you believe to be the standard for a "reasonable" person's action, including yourself.

In our neighborhood, differences in height of several inches are typically the basis for remediating sidewalks. I had one block of cement replaced when I detected a 1" bump....literally everyone I know thought I was unreasonable in doing so (that's a clean/kind way of conveying what they said to me).
Thank you Fargol. Excellent advice and summation, especially the text I bolded. I hope your dear mother and wife fully recovered from their falls.

Again, I appreciate everyone's concern and expression of well wishes for DW. She is doing better today and finally can breath through her nose and walk around the house without the walker. I have also removed anything she could trip over. As I mentioned earlier, I was seeking advice and asking others how they would handle this situation because I or DW have never experienced it. After DW fell I had no intent of sueing the homeowners (in fact, I've never attempted to sue anyone), and told our realtor that. On the ride home, DW's insistence that it was the homeowner's fault prompted me to pose the question "are the homeowners liable?" to this forum. I just did not know. And the replies I received had an unexpected effect: It made me realize we all have a responsibility to watch where we are walking and it's on us to prevent mishaps. But more importantly, it made me realize I need to be DW's side, holding her hand in unfamiliar places (familiar places wouldn't hurt either:)).

It's been three days since DWs fall, and now when I think about it, I have no intention of asking the homeowners' insurance company for no fault compensation (I don't even know which company it is), but if it's offered, I would accept it and for no more than out of pocket expenses (excellent advice, by the way, to just concentrate on caring for DW and then re-examine how I feel after I have cooled off). Again, I appreciate everyone's input and concern.

5 or 6 months following my only hospitalization, I received a call from the insurance company asking if someone else could be responsible for my “injury”. I replied yes. And then added that I had delivered a baby (c-section). I could hear the agent’s excitement in my first response and then deflation at my further explanation.<snip>

This one made me laugh. I've heard of paternity suits but having one brought by an insurance company would be a new one. I hope I'm not giving them any ideas....:)

I got one of these letters today on Kaiser letterhead from one of scumbag companies that started this whole scam. If they plan on suing me on behalf of Kaiser because my puppy jumped on me and knocked me backward into the bathtub and I hurt my back and shoulder, he's in for a fight....
The scary thing is when you google the company, then you can end up on other lawyers sites that are trying to sign you up as a client so they can grab a piece of any potential settlement. I really don't want to respond to this letter but I suppose I have to so I think I'll call Kaiser first and give them a piece of my mind.
This was not even the original reason for my visit to the urgent care at the time, I just asked if I could get an x-ray to be safe since the pain and bruising was still there after a couple of weeks.

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2015/06/11/263872.htm

I hope your DW recovers quickly. Being away from home like that must have made this injury even more scary. That said, based on what you described, if this had happened to me and my DW, I do not think the thought of suing the homeowner would even have occurred to me.

This is all in network (with traditional medicare and a supplement) so don't worry about that part. Sorry to hear about the fall. What a disaster

Last edited:
Maybe conduct the following thought experiment:

In your head turn the table on things. Pretend that you received a lawsuit notice out of the blue. Are you cool headed? Would this stress you until it is resolved? Would you want to have to deal with your insurance company and their lawyers to defend it?

I am not sure how angry you are at the homeowner, and I didn't read the whole thread, but this exercise might help to put things in perspective.

-gauss

Thank you Gauss. Yes, this thread has taught me a lot. I just got off the phone with the realtor we are working with (the one that was with us when DW fell). I asked her to convey to the homeowners we have no intention of any sort of legal action and consider this a wake-up call DW and I need to pay attention to what we are doing and especially where we are walking.

The realtor then told me the homeowners were quite worried about DW's condition and I said she (the realtor) may share with them that DW is doing much better and able to move about on her own and the pain and swelling are subsiding and we appreciate their concern.

I got one of these letters today on Kaiser letterhead from one of scumbag companies that started this whole scam. If they plan on suing me on behalf of Kaiser because my puppy jumped on me and knocked me backward into the bathtub and I hurt my back and shoulder, he's in for a fight....
The scary thing is when you google the company, then you can end up on other lawyers sites that are trying to sign you up as a client so they can grab a piece of any potential settlement. I really don't want to respond to this letter but I suppose I have to so I think I'll call Kaiser first and give them a piece of my mind.
This was not even the original reason for my visit to the urgent care at the time, I just asked if I could get an x-ray to be safe since the pain and bruising was still there after a couple of weeks.

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2015/06/11/263872.htm

When I went for surgery , in conversation I told the Anesthesiologist how I think I got the long ago injury from a wild barefoot water skiing accident.
Then he knocked me out.
A few weeks later I get a letter from the health insurance company wanting to know details of the accident or was my injury from an accident.

I realized then, the Anesthesiologist probably got a kickback to report accident injuries to the health company, so they could sue and get back some expense.

I just ignored the letter and the issue died. It made no difference to them paying for the care as that was their responsibility.

I am sorry for your wife's injury but suing over something like this is morally wrong even if it is technically legal.

Save the lawsuits for real negligence, like a homeowner having a vicious dog that has previous history of biting people and gets out and seriously injures someone.

Concrete is an imperfect surface, subject to frost heave and other factors. It has probably protected a lot more people from injury falling in slippery mud than it has caused injury. It is not reasonable for a homeowner to have to repair a 1/2 difference every time the earth shifts a bit.

So if she fell on public sidewalk would you sue the city? And for half an inch? Lmao...

Maybe pay attention next time... don’t blame someone for your own mistake, or you can join rest of the ambulance chasers in America.

Just get their insurance information and file a claim. No need to get lawyers involved.

I am sorry for your wife's injury but suing over something like this is morally wrong even if it is technically legal.

Save the lawsuits for real negligence, like a homeowner having a vicious dog that has previous history of biting people and gets out and seriously injures someone.

Concrete is an imperfect surface, subject to frost heave and other factors. It has probably protected a lot more people from injury falling in slippery mud than it has caused injury. It is not reasonable for a homeowner to have to repair a 1/2 difference every time the earth shifts a bit.
Thanks Fermion; excellent advice.

So if she fell on public sidewalk would you sue the city? And for half an inch? Lmao...

Maybe pay attention next time... don’t blame someone for your own mistake, or you can join rest of the ambulance chasers in America.

Agreed, it’s an unfortunate accident, but seems like normal sidewalk separation, regardless if City or homeowner owned. It’s up to each person to take care reasonable care for themselves!

For the record, when we sold a house over 20 years ago, the city inspector cited us for a 1/2 inch settlement in the CITY sidewalk. Seems some where buried in the laws it was MY responsibility to maintain the city sidewalk. So I fixed it before selling. Looked ugly, but passed code.

Trust me if someone tripped over that and fell down, both we and the city would have been sued. Not saying it is right, but it is what happens.

I’m sorry your wife got hurt, but I do feel it’s her own responsibility to watch where she’s walking, uneven sidewalk or not. JMHO. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

I picked this quote but I could have picked any other on this thread (at least on the first page) stating that it's your own fault of falling or "How would you feel if someone sued you?".
I will not say how the OP should address this situation because I don't know, but what I find interesting is that when insurance questions are discussed, I would notice advice that people should insure for as much as they can because "you never know when you can get sued." Of course insurance agents will always try to upsell their policies. But now when situation in the OP sounds very legit, everybody advises against suing.
I'm thinking to myself that if the whole country thought and acted in the same way like people do on this forum, quite a few lawyers, judges, and insurance agents would become jobless. I've also heard or read stories about unscrupulous people frequently attempting to instigate a situation to get kind of hurt or incur some property damage so they can turn around and sue and make money... Wondering if the culture of a very litigative country helped "to create" unscrupulous people.

This is a very unfortunate situation. I hope it doesn't change your mind of retiring in the new area in case you like it there.

This has to be one of the worst days of our lives. We drove 175 miles to look at a house for sale. We met the realtor at the house. The homeowners were present. DW and I looked at the inside of the house while the homeowners stayed outside on their deck.

Then we went outside to look at the exterior of the house. After exiting the front door and porch and walking on the sidewalk towards the driveway, DW's foot stopped abruptly as it hit a section of the sidewalk that had separated and was about half an inch higher than the rest of the sidewalk. This tripped her. She fell full force on her face and began bleeding profusely from the nose as she sat up on the ground. She could not get up. I immediately applied slight pressure to her nose, and after about 15 seconds I determined this was very serious and yelled out to the homeowners to call 911.

Paramedics arrived and got the bleeding under control. In addition, her glasses cut a small gash in the bridge of her nose, her forehead was all scraped up, her wrist was bruised and sprained from trying to break her fall and she hit her knee and could not bend it.

I followed the ambulance to the hospital. In the ER, DW had 3 cat scans (one each of the spine, head, and face); and x-rays of her hand, wrist, and knee (4 views). Diagnosis: Open fracture of nasal bone (she broke her nose in 3 places, which may require surgery, it's too early to tell); injury of head; multiple abrasions; and a sprained wrist. Her glasses were also destroyed. I just pray we did not contract Covid because we were in the hospital ER for 4 hours!

At the time of DWs fall, I did not realize two sections of the sidewalk were mismatched and different heights and thought DW's foot caught the pavement because she did not lift it up far enough (she tripped at home once in this manner), so I said to the homeowners she has fallen like this before, as a reassurance for them to not worry about us sueing, but in retrospect, I think this might be serious negligence on their part, and I should not have said anything. DW at some point pointed to the sidewalk sections and said she fell because one part "was about an inch higher than the other", and I looked at it and judged the separation to be about half an inch vertically.

The homeowners are retired too (husband and wife, but older than us by a few years). The wife said her husband has fallen before. You would think that because of this, they would be aware of the danger their sidewalk presents and would have mentioned it to prospective buyers or had it fixed.

I have no idea what this is going to cost us. Some of the medical services may be out of network (DW is on Medicare and has United Healthcare supplemental insurance). Are the homeowners liable for damages through negligence? What about pain and suffering? How would you handle this situation if it happened to you? We live in Virginia and the property is in Virginia, if that matters in terms of the law. Thanks,

my thoughts...

- sorry that you're going thru this and my wife and i hope your wife will be ok.

- if you have traditional medicare (parts A and B) and the supplement AND the hospital and the doctors both accept medicare there should be little out-of-pocket. that will largely depend on which supplememt plan you have. time enough later to worry about that.

- admissions on either side notwithstanding the isssue of liability shouldnbe discussed with an attorney. good luck.

but...to paraphrase an old joke...other than that Mrs. Lincoln did you like the house?

Back
Top Bottom