DW Got Injured While Looking at a House for Sale; Are Homeowners Liable?

Just get their insurance information and file a claim. No need to get lawyers involved.

File a claim for what? Until OP knows if there are any significant expenses not covered by Medicare + supplement, there is nothing to claim for.

Actual expenses for medical treatment, medical equipment, etc., required as a result of the accident will work themselves out between OP's medical coverage and the home owner's policy. After that, he'd likely have to sue for "pain and suffering" or "loss of income" or that sort of thing.

It sounds like OP is taking a logical and ethical approach to the situation and will be unlikely to suffer any out of pocket, uncovered expenses of consequence. The important thing is that his DW recover and not suffer any lingering quality of life setbacks.

I’m sorry your wife got hurt, but I do feel it’s her own responsibility to watch where she’s walking, uneven sidewalk or not. JMHO. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Agree with above. You were there at your own will. For anyone who disagrees, should every city that has uneven sidewalks address them immediately and change property tax owners (either property owner or general tax base)? If that was case, there would be no more sidewalks.

Doesn't the real estate company have some liability?

Seems the real estate company might also have a liability to ensure the property they have listed is safe. I would not sue if my medical insurance covered the bills, but I would have no problem asking for them to cover the unaided portions. If was an accident. Through when you hire a company to sell your product (house) I would expect them to examine it for safety issues in plain sight. As well as when you go to a real estate company to show you a home. I expect them to warn you of danger. After all the real estate company makes a lot of money when the sale takes place! If you like the house you might get a good deal, they may feel guilty and agree to a low offer. It is a tough call.

I hope your wife will be okay and recover fully.

Liability aside, what stood out for me is that you said that your wife tripped and fell and landed on "full force on her face". I think the more serious issue is that she wasn't able to break her fall (even partially) with her hands/arms or to rotate slightly to maybe land on her shoulder. We all trip or stumble but it's usually a non-issue if you can catch yourself or break your fall.

First, sorry for the accident. I hope for a speedy recovery.

I also live in Virginia and would consider not suing. While you are thinking getting money to help offset medical costs, you are also opening yourself up to be counter-sued. A half-inch difference is not negligence, so what was an accident could become a multi-year legal ordeal that was never intended.

Just my two cents on this, but first of all OP stated "wife has fallen like this at home before" (something to that effect).
That said, if I were a judge or on a jury and that was brought into evidence, which I'm sure it will be because OP said they stated that to the homeowners and then regretted saying such, my answer would be "not guilty, no liability here, case dismissed".
Second of all, IMO and several other posters have said as well, when you're looking at a house, you're on your own about looking where you're going.
Lastly, seems to me this is EXACTLY some of what's wrong with our great country now - everyone wants someone else to be responsible and to pay, and so they're going to get a lawyer in an attempt to make that happen.
STOP IT.
Let it go, call it bad fortune, put on your big person pants, and deal with it. Leave the homeowners alone about it and move on. Period.

Seems the real estate company might also have a liability to ensure the property they have listed is safe. I would not sue if my medical insurance covered the bills, but I would have no problem asking for them to cover the unaided portions. If was an accident. Through when you hire a company to sell your product (house) I would expect them to examine it for safety issues in plain sight. As well as when you go to a real estate company to show you a home. I expect them to warn you of danger. After all the real estate company makes a lot of money when the sale takes place! If you like the house you might get a good deal, they may feel guilty and agree to a low offer. It is a tough call.

That's a tricky one. When I hold open houses I always look around for danger points. We sell a lot of 1900 built urban houses with steep basement staircases. I'm constantly telling people to "watch your step", or "hold onto the handrail".
As far as shifted concrete that's pretty much every house we sell. Tree roots play havoc on the city sidewalks which for older houses usually go from the street to the front door and then wrap around one side of the house to a side door and then back door. And then, there can be another sidewalk that goes to the garage from the back of the house. There could be half dozen spots where the sidewalk shifted and I can't follow everyone around telling them to "watch their step" outside.

folly,

So now real estate companies are going to be safety guarantors for every person walking around the house?

I think every house has some place where a person who is more clumsy than the normal could fall, bump their head, twist an ankle, fall down the steep driveway, trip over the door sill, snag their pants on the door knob, etc.

A lawsuit in this case is a bit beyond the pale.

Ha - yeah - me too.

I should have added that I could find something in anyone's home with which to injure myself.

Lawsuit? Embarrassing.

If that’s “one of the worst days of your life”,
you’ve had a pretty good life.

This has to be one of the worst days of our lives. We drove 175 miles to look at a house for sale. We met the realtor at the house. The homeowners were present. DW and I looked at the inside of the house while the homeowners stayed outside on their deck.

Then we went outside to look at the exterior of the house. After exiting the front door and porch and walking on the sidewalk towards the driveway, DW's foot stopped abruptly as it hit a section of the sidewalk that had separated and was about half an inch higher than the rest of the sidewalk. This tripped her. She fell full force on her face and began bleeding profusely from the nose as she sat up on the ground. She could not get up. I immediately applied slight pressure to her nose, and after about 15 seconds I determined this was very serious and yelled out to the homeowners to call 911.

Paramedics arrived and got the bleeding under control. In addition, her glasses cut a small gash in the bridge of her nose, her forehead was all scraped up, her wrist was bruised and sprained from trying to break her fall and she hit her knee and could not bend it.

I followed the ambulance to the hospital. In the ER, DW had 3 cat scans (one each of the spine, head, and face); and x-rays of her hand, wrist, and knee (4 views). Diagnosis: Open fracture of nasal bone (she broke her nose in 3 places, which may require surgery, it's too early to tell); injury of head; multiple abrasions; and a sprained wrist. Her glasses were also destroyed. I just pray we did not contract Covid because we were in the hospital ER for 4 hours!

At the time of DWs fall, I did not realize two sections of the sidewalk were mismatched and different heights and thought DW's foot caught the pavement because she did not lift it up far enough (she tripped at home once in this manner), so I said to the homeowners she has fallen like this before, as a reassurance for them to not worry about us sueing, but in retrospect, I think this might be serious negligence on their part, and I should not have said anything. DW at some point pointed to the sidewalk sections and said she fell because one part "was about an inch higher than the other", and I looked at it and judged the separation to be about half an inch vertically.

The homeowners are retired too (husband and wife, but older than us by a few years). The wife said her husband has fallen before. You would think that because of this, they would be aware of the danger their sidewalk presents and would have mentioned it to prospective buyers or had it fixed.

I have no idea what this is going to cost us. Some of the medical services may be out of network (DW is on Medicare and has United Healthcare supplemental insurance). Are the homeowners liable for damages through negligence? What about pain and suffering? How would you handle this situation if it happened to you? We live in Virginia and the property is in Virginia, if that matters in terms of the law. Thanks,

Sorry that you and your wife had to go through that ordeal, and there is certainly more to come as she heals up. However, a half an inch difference in a sidewalk slab is hardly negligence. And you're considering not only suing for actual damages, but for pain and suffering too?? I hope that you're just frustrated and not thinking clearly right now. Considering a lawsuit over this is quite low IMO.

Sounds like it's already been a hassle.

If you have high insurance deductibles, contact the homeowner's insurance company. If not, just ride it out.

A personal injury injury lawyer would be thrilled to make the next several years filled with even more hassles for you and the homeowners. You might get some additional money, but at that greater cost.

Lawsuits are tedious and often pointless; rarely worth the effort & expense.

I was at a Petsmart for my volunteer gig when I broke my leg while chasing (tackling) a kitten escaping from the play tents. Since I had signed a volunteer waiver, I just filed it on my regular ins.- I was still working. Aetna of course sent letters to me with the intent of recouping $ from Petsmart. I wrote them details of the event (and you just can't make up what happened) explaining that I'm a klutz and I was completely at fault. In the end they accepted it- as it was true. It wasn't my first break, so I have a reputation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom