DW is finally retiring

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok I have been retired for over a year , have no interest to sit in the office cage again . DW has been planning and planning , now we are down to what day of the week she give her resignation .
Her boss returned from vacation yesterday and was told a supervisor was leaving . Out of frustration he asked her who else is leaving . I think it terrified her so she postponed to next week .
She has this attachment to her job that she feels that nobody can do it but her . She works for a megacorp and she feels the person to take her job has not taken any interest or care . It is time for her to go hopefully next week will be it !

I retired three years before DW. When she finally decided it was time, she still found reasons to hold off giving notice. She eventually gave notice six months later, intending it to be a three month transition. They gave her an offer she couldn’t refuse to work six more months for a years pay including bonus and vesting options. All in all it was very lucrative for her, but at the end she wishes she had just quit when she wanted to.

Ok I have been retired for over a year , have no interest to sit in the office cage again . DW has been planning and planning , now we are down to what day of the week she give her resignation .
Her boss returned from vacation yesterday and was told a supervisor was leaving . Out of frustration he asked her who else is leaving . I think it terrified her so she postponed to next week .
She has this attachment to her job that she feels that nobody can do it but her . She works for a megacorp and she feels the person to take her job has not taken any interest or care . It is time for her to go hopefully next week will be it !

The sad thing is that even if she’s right, Megacorp will quickly forget. My experience has been that once people are gone, their former co-workers move on quickly.

....DW has been planning and planning , now we are down to what day of the week she give her resignation .
Her boss returned from vacation yesterday and was told a supervisor was leaving . Out of frustration he asked her who else is leaving . I think it terrified her so she postponed to next week . ....

That was a prime opportunity.... "Well since you asked.... me!"

The sad thing is that even if she’s right, Megacorp will quickly forget. My experience has been that once people are gone, their former co-workers move on quickly.

Unfortunately true.

Give notice to my old Megacorp and they would usually call HR, speak with the big boss in corporate headquarters and tell you to go ahead and leave then--not even at the end of the day.

No gold watch, no going away employee lunch. Just adios.

I accepted a package and still was gone by 9am.

DW worked for 3 years after I retired. The original plan was that she would retire same time as me. I would ask when she's going to put in her notice and she just avoided the question.

Now, after 18 months of ER, she's struggling a bit. She liked her job and loved the daily interaction with coworkers, many of whom were her friends and social network. She had worked for the same boss for 26 years and they both retired at the same time. They had been discussing the right timing for years. I think she might have kept working a while longer if her boss had stayed. She's slowly building up a new social network away from work and finding a daily rhythm that works for her.

When I first retired, I didn't really understand all this as well as I should have. I wrongly assumed she would want to ER as soon as possible for all the same reasons I did.

DW worked for 3 years after I retired. The original plan was that she would retire same time as me. I would ask when she's going to put in her notice and she just avoided the question.

Now, after 18 months of ER, she's struggling a bit. She liked her job and loved the daily interaction with coworkers, many of whom were her friends and social network. She had worked for the same boss for 26 years and they both retired at the same time. They had been discussing the right timing for years. I think she might have kept working a while longer if her boss had stayed. She's slowly building up a new social network away from work and finding a daily rhythm that works for her.

When I first retired, I didn't really understand all this as well as I should have. I wrongly assumed she would want to ER as soon as possible for all the same reasons I did.

+1 We tend to forget that those of us who are ready and want to get out ASAP are the exception, rather than the rule. I've fallen into the same trap.

Absolutely! That was my experience as well.

DW , once again has moved it out to the end of the month , she wants to get the close done next week and then close some loose ends . I don't think she can cut the chains.

Back
Top Bottom