Email and reminders?

DW and I are children of the 70's, we still write everything on the wall calendar first.

Being children of the 50's and 60's we do the same. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

At the moment I don't even have a cell phone. The Tracfone I had died and since I was tired of dealing with their incompetent "customer service" I just let it lapse and one of these days I'll get around to getting a Ting phone. But I'll have to get a round tuit first.

Attachments

• roundtuit.jpg
    roundtuit.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 24
I have an Outlook email account, and use the associated Calendar. I can enter appointments on my laptop or my iPhone, and they are always in sync. I set reminders for appointments that need them, and the reminders pop up on my iPhone. Most are for doctor appointments, haircut appointments, and family events. The older I get, the more I appreciate phone reminders :)

I got a Microsoft outlook (outlook.com) email. It has calendar, contacts and easy to use phone app. Plays well with gmail, which I refuse to use, but my wife does. I just use this for friends/family. I have other "junk" emails I use for retail and websites as needed.

We do not maintain a shared calendar but I sent important appointments to her just by "inviting" her to them through the app. Keeps us on the same page.

We also use paper calendars to visualize. She buys one every year, I print pages out from a free online site. That way I have plenty of room to write.

I also have a free form spiral bound journal which I use from time to time to record details from meetings and appointments. Blueline miracle bind. Designed to add or remove pages.

With those tools I am totally set.

I am down to just a few days and finding it difficult to choose a way to track reminders and such. How did you keep track of tasks, appointments and email reminders once you left work? I detest g mail, but it seems the easiest email choice. Did you utilize the calendar on your phone to remind you of appointments and reminders? I live by my work task bar and feel lost transferring over to my phone calendar. Any suggestions?

M

we use the MS Outlook calendar. we sync that to our iPhone calendar thru a google calendar using CompanionLink. sounds klugy but it's not. seemless and immediate. there are versions for other platforms.

https://www.companionlink.com

I track appointments using a monthly wall calendar on the wall in my kitchen. I make lists on paper for tasks to do, and rewrite lists as needed as multiple tasks are done. I used to be a web designer before retiring 5 years ago at 55. I never liked using a calendar on my phone or computer.

I use Thunderbird as my email app, and it has a "Task" and "Events" list (I just use 'task', I forget the distinction between that and 'events'). You can right click an email to add it as a Task. Very flexible to set up repeat reminders, and when a reminder pops up, it's easy to set the 'snooze' time so you can come back to it in 5 minutes, 5 hours, a day, a month - whatever.

I tried Google Calendar alerts, but it seemed the only 'snooze' option was 5 minutes? That doesn't work for me - some things I want to be reminded in a few minutes (something in the oven), or a few days , or a month. Am I missing something in Google?

-ERD50
I can't explain everything about this (even Google can't, Lol) but there are enough settings to do what you want. The first fork in the road is Task or Reminder. Based on that you next have Alerts and Notifications.

TBH, I probably don't get it all. But what I do is set repeating all-day reminders for all of our bills. They continue to nag you until you mark them "Done."

For appointments I set the date, time, duration and title. I use a 1-hour notice for these. If more important I add 10 days or x weeks before the appointment.

You can snooze things according to this page - https://support.google.com/assistan....Platform=Android#zippy=,on-a-phone-or-tablet

A solution might be to ask Google Assistant to set another Reminder for X in a number of days. Haven't done that, but looks possible - https://support.google.com/assistan... Google Assistant,call Mom at noon tomorrow."

Apple Calendar and Apple Reminders apps both send us notifications to remind us of time critical things. These work both on MacOS and iOS so are shared across all devices. The alerts are very customizable including multiple alerts if desired. Even more you can share calendars and reminders with others. DH and I share several. We also use the Reminders app for shared shopping lists and it’s very effective!
+1 on all counts. In addition to basic reminders, I have four grocery lists - Grocery, Target, Trader Joe’s and Costco. Using Siri to add to lists is helpful. I can be driving and I remember we need eggs, I just use a voice command to Siri saying ‘add eggs to Costco list’ and it’s done - never had a failed entry.

I use comcast, gmail and att emails - one for junk/logins, one for personal/private and the other for golf only.

Last edited:
I can't explain everything about this (even Google can't, Lol) but there are enough settings to do what you want. The first fork in the road is Task or Reminder. Based on that you next have Alerts and Notifications.

TBH, I probably don't get it all. But what I do is set repeating all-day reminders for all of our bills. They continue to nag you until you mark them "Done."

For appointments I set the date, time, duration and title. I use a 1-hour notice for these. If more important I add 10 days or x weeks before the appointment.

You can snooze things according to this page - https://support.google.com/assistan....Platform=Android#zippy=,on-a-phone-or-tablet

A solution might be to ask Google Assistant to set another Reminder for X in a number of days. Haven't done that, but looks possible - https://support.google.com/assistan... Google Assistant,call Mom at noon tomorrow."

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to apply to the desktop calendar in a browser.

-ERD50

For calendar reminders only, my trusty 2007 palm tree. I have things like estimated tax payments , property tax payments, birthdays, etc. entered in the calendar out to 2030. Amazingly, I've only had to replace the battery once!

29143-albums233-picture2733.jpeg

I use google calendar, integrates well on my android phone and when I worked it integrated to my work calendar. One thing about google calendar I like is I can subscribe to the sport teams I follow and it shows me upcoming games and shows the score.

I use my iPhone calendar which syncs to all of my devices. I also use the Reminders app on my Apple devices to make notes of things. If I really want to remember something the next day I use a good old post it note on the kitchen counter.

I use Google Calendar and set the alarm to notify me about an hour in advance. If you prefer you can set the notification to your email.

Cheers!

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to apply to the desktop calendar in a browser.

-ERD50

Google calendar will do those reminders in a browser, however...it has to be open. However, I would be willing to bet that there is a browser extension that would work without having the calendar actually open in the browser.

Another vote for the iPhone's Reminder app. Here is my current view:

image1.jpg

By clicking "Scheduled" you can see a nice list by date of all your reminders. These pop up nicely on my Apple watch too.
I do not think Apple has integrated the Calendar with Reminders. If they have perhaps someone can show me where this is mentioned?

By clicking "Scheduled" you can see a nice list by date of all your reminders. These pop up nicely on my Apple watch too.
I do not think Apple has integrated the Calendar with Reminders. If they have perhaps someone can show me where this is mentioned?

Your calendar has way too many commitments. It's giving me heart palpitations. :LOL:

image1.jpg

I don't think Apples Calendar and Reminders are integrated. I tend to create Calendar events for appointments -- dinner with friends, doctor appointments, recurring events like "water the plants", change the furnace filter, etc.

I use the Reminders for tasks that need to be done. I associated time/date with some Reminders, but not all. For example, Pay back my niece the money I owe her on Tuesday, go to the ATM this afternoon, etc. Like you, I have multiple Reminder lists. Currently 6, I think.

Admittedly, it's a gray area and you can set it up the way you find works best for you.

Google calendar will do those reminders in a browser, however...it has to be open. However, I would be willing to bet that there is a browser extension that would work without having the calendar actually open in the browser.

Yes, I can do the reminders, but what I want is a variable 'snooze'. Like long term stuff, I might want to snooze for a week, just so I don't totally forget. Near term stuff (cooking), I might want 5 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. AFAIK, it would just default to 5 minute snooze, w/o options (desktop version). I leave the browser window open, no problem there.

-ERD50

+1 for Google calendar.

I created a gmail account for joint events, and then we each have a gmail account for our own events. We each subscribe to all three, and we color code them so mine are orange, DP's are blue, and joint events are red.

In addition, I use the Remember the Milk app to keep track of recurring tasks. I break them into categories: financial, home maintenance, yard maintenance, family, technology, health, etc. I get an email every morning with my To Do list for the upcoming week - very helpful.

I also set alarms on my phone to remind me during the day when I have to leave the house for something, or when an online class is starting.

I use an outlook.com email also and I use the MS Office package. It has Outlook mail and calendar, I also use the tasks. I keep my contacts in it too. That what I used when I w#*ked so it was comfortable. You can link other emails to Outlook too, I have a Google email account and an old yahoo/att account linked. I have a personal calendar and one that my wife and I share. I just wanted to limit the amount of my data that Google gets. MS of course can see it but so far I have never received a lot of junk from them or targeted stuff from other vendors. I get a lot of it in Gmail.

I use Alexa reminders often. I love that you can set reminders to repeat forever. She just reminded us this morning (as usual) that it's trash day. And that Father Brown is on at 9 pm tonight!

Use gmail's 'schedule send' and send myself future emails for all sorts of reminders for expirations, deadlines, bills, and commitments.

Back
Top Bottom