Emptying Nest Eggs, Not Nests--NYT

Want2retire:

I definitely agree with you. I think that one should at least attempt to do something they love before just mindlessly following the corporate herd. If you really do fail following your passion, then you still have time to do what you need to.
My parents made me go to college to get that diploma....and I went and didn't do my best....just enough to get it and leave the house to pursue my freedom. If my creativity would have been nurtured instead of squashed....I am sure that I would have been a success in the art field. However, thank god that I did start pursuing it agressively this year and so far it is going wonderful.

Citrine, congratulations on your accomplishments this year in the art field! I am so pleased to hear that you are pursuing your dream, even if it had to be delayed until you could. Good for you and I wish you the best!

Want2Retire:

Thank you....if layoffs come in Megacorp.....hopefully I will be able to pursue the art full time.

citrine

Of course, you could reverse the order. Do what you need to do now to make yourself financially independent. Then, do what you love.

We could even give that a name, something like "retire early"?

Of course, you could reverse the order. Do what you need to do now to make yourself financially independent. Then, do what you love.

We could even give that a name, something like "retire early"?

Yea I really hate what I have done for the last decade, and my wife REALLY hates it, I keep telling her "honey we are retiring at 30, it isn't that bad", and she says "GET ME OUTA HERE!"

I do not think I would really like any work, although I do enjoy some good hard work, I cannot stand having my life influenced by outside forces, so with me, it was always, utter sacrifice so I can goof off the rest of my life.

I believe my parents did not sacrifice their nest eggs for my brother and I. As a (former step-) parent, I used to tell J that we kept him in Boy Scouts so he'd be able to survive in the wilderness after high school because he would not be living at home with us anymore :) Even though the statement was delivered in a joking manner, he got the point (whew!) 22 and co-owner of a restaurant these days. (and not living with either parent!!!)

Parents delaying retirement, depleting savigs and even taking out loans to support kids beyond college.

"I just wish we coud get her an apartment in the Village."

Ha

Sigh! They are not babies anymore.

Back
Top Bottom