ER Butterflies

SailorEd

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone! I've lurked around the forum for a few months and this info is great stuff. You guys are awesome! It's helped me get enough courage to move toward ER since I'm in a position to ER. I've worked since I was 14 (child labor) and will be 60 in a month. Corporate life doesn't do anyting for me anymore and I sit here at home on Monday morning instead of out slaying dragons. Just not interested anymore. Don't get me wrong, I have a great job and that lends itself to the OMY syndrome. International travel is now boring and in fact all travel is now boring and I try to avoid it if at all possible; sending my reports instead of me. I have more than enough to do after ER so it's not like I don't have an activity plan. And the DW (55) has 2.5 years until full teacher retirement with healthcare benefits, etc.

So here I sit, reading forum post, trying to get my head around transitioning from 45 years in the work force to ER wonderland. My short-term goal is to be able to put my name on graduating list of the Class of 2013.

I like this problem.....:dance:

When I think about ER, I get butterflies in my stomach. Is this normal?

Butterflies are normal because we all are creatures of habit and resist/fear change. Just do it. I can almost guarantee you that you will be uncomfortable for a while, but that discomfort will pass as you enjoy your new-found freedom to do whatever the heck you want to.

Maybe this will help a little with the butterflies. After you have worked 46 years it is not exactly EARLY retirement. It may also help to run your numbers through FIRECALC and other retirement calculators.

Welcome SailorEd. I'm thinking of ER this year also, but I have wicked butterflies. I'm only 50 so I have 10 more years than you do for things to "go wrong". We can run the numbers all we want, but at the end of the day we have to remember "no guts, no glory". I just read the story of the 52 year old soccer mom who had a stroke at her sons game and died .... how awful it would be to die before retiring ! I'm trying to convince myself that the best thing I can do is to not work one more day than necessary !

Of course. I'm 60, ER'd 6 years. These have been some of the best years of my life. I had a good friend die at age 64 who was going to w*rk to 65. That kinda summed it all up for me. I can't control when I'll die, but I can control when I retire.

My DW has 3 years to go to get her teacher's card punched, but she loves having me home to do all the stuff she would be stuck with if I was w*rking. YMMV

Last edited:
Thinking of work will give you butterflies after you are retired.:D

Congratulations!!!! You will not regret it at all....coming from a semi retired person :)

I think your ready. Sounds like you've positioned yourself and I'm sure you've run the numbers. At this point I would concentrate on the nonfinancial aspects. Explore your interests and find new opportunities. Keep us posted on how you make out.
I'm trying to get to your point within the next 1 1/2 years. However I know how you feel on Monday mornings.

Understand completely. I'm FI but not ER. However mid 50's & gettin' close. I get the Butterflies thinking about ANY of my options. I have a great paying j@b & get B's thinking about giving that up. Then I think about w@rking another yr or 2 & get B's thinking about losing those precious few yrs left of my life (or at least my decent health). Lately I've been attempting to arrange a few months time off as a "trial ER", but even that gives me B's since I haven't been off w#rk (or FT school) for that long since summers of jr high (8th or 9th grade). I think it's normal to feel uneasy about any major life change.
Good luck with your decision, Sailor. And welcome aboard!!!

Butterflies are normal, and they probably won't go away for a few months after you ER. When our lives are wrapped up with our companies, breaking that tie is uncomfortable and difficult for most of us no matter how ready we are to go.

Even though I knew and had independent validation that we were FI and I could RE, it was hard in many ways. But I am SO glad I did it.

Best wishes for a smooth transition for you!

Welcome to the forum. Pull the plug in your own good time. The butterflies will continue until you do and then probably switch over to when you imagine returning to work as Lazarus says. :)

My short-term goal is to be able to put my name on graduating list of the Class of 2013.

I like this problem.....:dance:

This is a good goal, take my advice as one who fell into the OMY trap, do it.

Oh by the way, welcome to the site.

Welcome, SailorEd.
I am 58 and will in a few weeks be part of the class of 2013, having worked for Megacorp for the last 33 years. The butterflies are absolutely normal. Perhaps one additional perspective is, whenever you start to worry about one of the perceived disadvantages of retirement (eg loss of status), ask yourself "will working for a few more years make things better or worse?". After all, we will have to retire at some point...

Normal? It would be abnormal to not have the butterflies. I spent 40 years working and can't tell you how nice is it to get up when I wake up. And I am amazed at how busy my days are. When did I have time for life while I was working?

One thing I recommend, since your DW still has to work, take over some of the household chores like cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. Give her a win from your retirement. I will work wonders! Though not married I have a GF. I did things like stay at her home when a repairman was expected, made dinner for her after work, even picked up some visiting relatives at the airport. She was very appreciative. :D

Butterflies are normal because we all are creatures of habit and resist/fear change. I can almost guarantee you that you will be uncomfortable for a while, but that discomfort will pass as you enjoy your new-found freedom to do whatever the heck you want to.

Welcome to the forum. Pull the plug in your own good time. The butterflies will continue until you do and then probably switch over to when you imagine returning to work as Lazarus says. :)
Perfectly normal, and I can't say it any better than these two already have...

I found going into retirement to be a big step into the unknown, complete with butterflies. And while I had some concerns and still do to some extent (I miss the comfort of a a check coming in every two weeks) the benefits of retirement have been immense. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

Welcome Ed, I am 56 and retired 7 weeks ago and I love it ! I had developed all sorts of alternatives in case it was not working out.. Now I would not consider going back, my plans are working out fine my days are full no need to work again ! Good luck in any decision you make.

Back
Top Bottom