Ever want to make a little mischief back at the workplace?

I have to admit being a bit of a prankster when I was young(er) and at my first megacorp job. I worked with another fellow who was also a prankster; and the two of us working together was like mixing gasoline and fire. :D

I like to think that our pranks were funny and not malicious, but will let you all decide for yourselves.

Our manager used to call his wife and talk to her on speakerphone a lot, he even had IT program a speed dial button on his phone with his wife's number (he was technology deficient). We reprogrammed his speed dial button to one of those phone sex numbers. He must have called the number a dozen times (on speakerphone! :2funny:) before finally getting IT to come and reprogram his phone.

Another time we reprogrammed the department's fax machine to forward incoming faxes to his phone number. So, for about a week, several times a day his phone would ring and he'd get that screeching tone when he answered.

We pulled other stunts, but one almost got us both fired. Our megacorp was late to implement voice mail because the CEO hated it and thought a caller should always get a live person. He finally succumbed and voice mail was implemented.

Incredibly, they implemented voice mail but not passwords -- so all you had to do was dial anyone's number, let it go to voice mail, hit the prompt, and you could access their messages and all user controls. One day my mischievous colleague changed my outgoing message from the standard "Hi, this is Rich, I can't take your call right now ..." to something very rude. After playing it for a couple of people and getting some laughs, he deleted it -- except it didn't get deleted.

Sure enough, a client calls me, gets the new message, is outraged, and complains. The next thing I know, I get called to HR and told I'm being terminated. Luckily, our VP gets involved, demands to hear the outgoing message, and points out to the HR flack that it's not my voice on the outgoing message.

So, I'm in the clear. But HR wants to know whose voice it is so they can fire him. I play dumb and claim not to recognize the voice. Then they play the message for all the managers in my department. Luckily for my colleague, even though several of the managers recognize his voice, they play dumb as well. HR is sure we're lying but there's nothing they can do.

As you can imagine, password protection was added to the voice mail system shortly thereafter. :D

Last edited:
Early in my career at MegaMotors we got a new supervisor and he brought with him his personal lackey and snitch. Wherever the supervisor was transferred, he always brought this guy along. This guy was a spy and a snitch that did little to no actual department work, so he was not popular. One day while he was gone, we pulled all the letter keys off his keyboard and moved them one position to the right. The snitch was a type-by-looking at the keyboard typist, so it totally caused havoc with his typing assignment.

I have to admit being a bit of a prankster when I was young(er) and at my first megacorp job. I worked with another fellow who was also a prankster; and the two of us working together was like mixing gasoline and fire. :D

I like to think that our pranks were funny and not malicious, but will let you all decide for yourselves.

Our manager used to call his wife and talk to her on speakerphone a lot, he even had IT program a speed dial button on his phone with his wife's number (he was technology deficient). We reprogrammed his speed dial button to one of those phone sex numbers. He must have called the number a dozen times (on speakerphone! :2funny:) before finally getting IT to come and reprogram his phone.

Another time we reprogrammed the department's fax machine to forward incoming faxes to his phone number. So, for about a week, several times a day his phone would ring and he'd get that screeching tone when he answered.

We pulled other stunts, but one almost got us both fired. Our megacorp was late to implement voice mail because the CEO hated it and thought a caller should always get a live person. He finally succumbed and voice mail was implemented.

Incredibly, they implemented voice mail but not passwords -- so all you had to do was dial anyone's number, let it go to voice mail, hit the prompt, and you could access their messages and all user controls. One day my mischievous colleague changed my outgoing message from the standard "Hi, this is Rich, I can't take your call right now ..." to something very rude. After playing it for a couple of people and getting some laughs, he deleted it -- except it didn't get deleted.

Sure enough, a client calls me, gets the new message, is outraged, and complains. The next thing I know, I get called to HR and told I'm being terminated. Luckily, our VP gets involved, demands to hear the outgoing message, and points out to the HR flack that it's not my voice on the outgoing message.

So, I'm in the clear. But HR wants to know whose voice it is so they can fire him. I play dumb and claim not to recognize the voice. Then they play the message for all the managers in my department. Luckily for my colleague, even though several of the managers recognize his voice, they play dumb as well. HR is sure we're lying but there's nothing they can do.

As you can imagine, password protection was added to the voice mail system shortly thereafter. :D

Those are good. I like the redirecting the faxes to the bosses number. That fax sound is so annoying.

[Edit]
Comment at post #29 removed by marko. I shouldn't post until after my first cup of coffee. Original comment not relevant to this thread.
Non-sequitur.

Last edited:
My dad always told me that your job while employed is to do everything your position and influence permit to make it a great company. But once you give notice, that’s no longer the case. It’s not your job ton”fix things” on the way out the door— in fact, you surrender that right by deciding to leave the organization. On the other hand, it’s also no longer their job, or right, to tell you what you could have done to be a better employee. Once you’ve given notice, they can’t hurt you anymore

Back
Top Bottom