Examples of current inflation - add yours!

That's what I received. $3.99/month for 12 months but with taxes and fees it totals $6.66... the taxes and fees are a bit outrageous but I listen enough that it is worth $6.66/month to me.

Especially handy during our long trips between Florida and Texas and Vermont... with regular radio we have to search for different channels because our travels are taking us out of the broadcast range of the channel we are listening to.

Package/Plan Subscription Term Charges
SiriusXM Music & Entertainment ($4.99/Month for 12 Months) 03/12/2024 - 04/12/2024 $4.99
SiriusXM Video (1 Month) Monthly Beginning 03/12/2024 $0.00
U.S. Music Royalty Fee $1.07
State & Local Taxes $0.60
Total Charges $6.66

Do you still have to stay on voice call hold for 60 to 90 minutes waiting to get the discount? That's how it worked the last couple of times I subscribed to satellite radio.

Last edited:
Anybody here use Systane or similar eyedrops? The other day I was comparing different drops at Walmart. The price per ounce is annotated on the display. Most run between $38 and $45 per ounce. For basically saline solution!

Just did a chat with XMSirius and got my plan down from $30.55/month to $5.08 including taxes and fees for 12 months.
Pretty painless, just kept asking for more.

I had the opposite. I picked up two prescriptions today that I expected to pay $11 or so for when I ordered them and when I picked them up there was no charge.

I switched Plan D insurance companies at the start of the year. My monthly premium dropped by a bit more than $30 a month, my yearly deductible is down by about $160, and a med that I previously paid $10 for three months is now free to me.

That's what I received. $3.99/month for 12 months but with taxes and fees it totals $6.66... the taxes and fees are a bit outrageous but I listen enough that it is worth $6.66/month to me.

Especially handy during our long trips between Florida and Texas and Vermont... with regular radio we have to search for different channels because our travels are taking us out of the broadcast range of the channel we are listening to.

Package/Plan Subscription Term Charges
SiriusXM Music & Entertainment ($4.99/Month for 12 Months) 03/12/2024 - 04/12/2024 $4.99
SiriusXM Video (1 Month) Monthly Beginning 03/12/2024 $0.00
U.S. Music Royalty Fee $1.07
State & Local Taxes $0.60
Total Charges $6.66

I would have gladly paid that - or full price - back in '93 the day I drove from San Antonio to El Passo. For a couple of hundred miles, the radio just searched and searched and searched on FM. When I switched to AM (I was desperate) I think I picked up a couple of Mexican stations. I was grateful for ANYTHING. Sort of "The Longest Day." I counted 5 dust devils at one time. I saw maybe one other car going the opposite way every couple of miles. YMMV

Anybody here use Systane or similar eyedrops? The other day I was comparing different drops at Walmart. The price per ounce is annotated on the display. Most run between $38 and $45 per ounce. For basically saline solution!
About twenty years ago, I used to buy a 2 oz bottle of Bausch and Lomb contact lubricating drops for $2 to $3.

Now for name brand drops, it's more like $10 for a tiny bottle that's 1/3 of an ounce.

Construction screws - I was looking on Home Depot's web site for some screws that would go in concrete and I saw some made by Hilti (a solid, albeit pricey, brand) that were as much as $2.50 - each! I mean, a box of 50 was between $100 and $125! Are these things made of titanium with gold mixed in there somewhere? (Okay, gold is too soft for construction stuff, but gee.)

I've never seen screws that cost that much except maybe something esoteric in a space program or something. I was afraid to look at lag bolts.

I just got hit with some sticker shock with regards to water heaters. Mine started beeping, and I found an error code that, when I looked it up, said the control board had to be replaced. The water heater is about 9 years old, so I can't find anybody who wants to just service something that old. Everyone wants to replace it.

So, I called one local company that has a good reputation. Got a quote for about $2700, for an equivalent model. OUCH!

Out of curiosity, I looked up my model number online, and found Home Depot still sells the same unit, and it's about $950. With installation, it comes to around $2,000.

So, that's better, but still...DAMN! Is this pretty much the going rate for them nowadays, or am I potentially being taken? FWIW, it's a Rheem 50 gallon water heater, with a touch screen and digital display. The new one has a 12 year warranty, and installation includes pulling a permit (required in this county), hauling away the old one, new drip pan (not that that's a big deal) and a few other details.

The last time I had a water heater replaced was in 2010. I think that was about $600 total, but it was also done by a guy that my grandmother's cousin knew, so it was kind of "under the table." And it was a short, squat 40 gallon model, low-tech, adjust the temperature with a flathead screwdriver type of thing. The one it replaced was about 28 years old.

What advantages does a touch screen have on a water heater?
Give me the old school one (if it's still available). I don't think there is any way a "digital" water heater will save enough money over the cost of "old reliable analog" types.

What advantages does a touch screen have on a water heater?
Give me the old school one (if it's still available). I don't think there is any way a "digital" water heater will save enough money over the cost of "old reliable analog" types.

Take it from an Electronics Engineer ....... just more to go wrong.

About the only advantage I can really think of, is with that touch screen/electronic crap, it beeped to let me know it was going bad. Although, it would have been nice if it had let me know sooner. I noticed my electric bill seemed a little high in January, but didn't think too much of it. However, for February, it was almost double what it was, compared to February of 2023. There were other factors at play (billing cycle was 4 days longer, electric rates about 5.4% higher, average temp a bit cooler at 41 degrees this time, vs 46 last time), but none of that would be enough to make it almost double. FWIW, average daily use went up about 63%, to 93KW per day. I've never gone that high before. My highest daily usage has always been in July. Winter's usually not THAT bad on the electric, because when it gets cold enough, the downstairs unit switches to oil backup.

I probably could go with a cheaper one, but figured I'd just do a direct replacement. FWIW, I looked at Home Depot, and the cheapest 50 gallon Rheem I could find, without the digital crap, and a 6 year warranty, and same overall shape, was about $520.

As for "Old reliable", I don't think they make those anymore. I imagine water heaters are like other appliances these days, built for efficiency, not longevity. So the days of one lasting 30 years are gone with the wind.

I'm wondering why installation is so expensive, though. I mean, I don't know how to do it, so there's obviously value to me in paying someone to do it. But still, it's two pipes and a wire. Why is that ~$1000? Or, around $1800, using an estimate from the first quote?

Last edited:
IMO installation is so high because they want you to believe it is rocket science. It's not. Disconnect and pull out the old one and pan, set the new pan, set new heater on the pan, connect it. A couple hours of grunt work and it's done. So they're getting paid $300+/hour! Outrageous! I've changed out quite a few water heaters before. Some in the attic. Getting it upstairs isn't that difficult, someone younger could handle that quite easily. Most fittings are simply screwed in. Even if sweated copper (unlikely) it still isn't difficult.

Unless your water heater is buried in your house Cask of Amontillado style, I can't see any reason installation would be $1000. It really is one of the simplest things to swap out.

IMO installation is so high because they want you to believe it is rocket science. It's not. Disconnect and pull out the old one and pan, set the new pan, set new heater on the pan, connect it. A couple hours of grunt work and it's done. So they're getting paid $300+/hour! Outrageous! I've changed out quite a few water heaters before. Some in the attic. Getting it upstairs isn't that difficult, someone younger could handle that quite easily. Most fittings are simply screwed in. Even if sweated copper (unlikely) it still isn't difficult.
Don't forget the required permits. If there's no permit and later there is flooding or burns or something, even if it's not your fault, you could be liable, no insurance coverage, including for some future homeowner.

I changed one myself in my first house, no permit. But it's long been replaced again, so no worries. lol

Unless your water heater is buried in your house Cask of Amontillado style, I can't see any reason installation would be $1000. It really is one of the simplest things to swap out.

Last electric water heater we had replaced was a 'short' model in the crawl space of the family mountain cabin.

The old one was a brand that used a cement liner (over 200 lb. empty) instead of a sacrificial anode.

The plumbers had to take an extended break after wrestling the old one out.

IIRC, that brand now uses plastic liners instead of cement. :)

Water heater replacement appears to me to be a service designed for huge profit margins. The going rate locally is in the range of $2,000 to $3,000, and based on the posts I'm seeing, it looks like that's a national trend.

One local plumbing company has a TV ad running with an offer of an "$1,899 replacement special", attempting to make what I consider an outrageous price seem like a bargain.

Don't forget the required permits. If there's no permit and later there is flooding or burns or something, even if it's not your fault, you could be liable, no insurance coverage, including for some future homeowner.

I changed one myself in my first house, no permit. But it's long been replaced again, so no worries. lol
Close to $3k is about right in my city these days. They require a permit before and an inspection afterward. My building is from 2007 and they have changed code since then. To replace my water heater, the PVC pipe will have to be switched to copper and an expansion tank is now required. It's as though the city building code folks had a meeting where the question was "How can we make this as expensive as possible?".

Water heater replacement appears to me to be a service designed for huge profit margins. The going rate locally is in the range of $2,000 to $3,000, and based on the posts I'm seeing, it looks like that's a national trend.

One local plumbing company has a TV ad running with an offer of an "$1,899 replacement special", attempting to make what I consider an outrageous price seem like a bargain.

Yeah, they're just gouging. Years ago (25?) I bought a water heater at Home Depot for $180 and took it home. They had a guy come out and install it for $65. He had to do welding too. Nowadays they all want $500 minimum for labor. For a two hour max job.

Yeah, they're just gouging. Years ago (25?) I bought a water heater at Home Depot for $180 and took it home. They had a guy come out and install it for $65. He had to do welding too. Nowadays they all want $500 minimum for labor. For a two hour max job.
When I was younger, stronger, and no experience I bought and installed a couple of electric water heaters myself. Since it was located in my garage it was simple. It probably didn't take me more than an hour. I moved the old one out of the way, moved the new one in position with appropriate drain pan, screwed on the plumbing (there are only 2 - and input and output pipe) and attached the wiring. If I was starting over again I would gladly install electric water heaters for $500.

Home owners insurance is up 50% in one year. And, I don’t live in either Florida or California.
My home insurance has gone up about 25% over the last couple years, but in a little over a month, I'll get my renewal for this year.

But today, I received an shrinkflation notice. Less coverage, plus I expect my insurance to go up more as well.

It say deductible for hail and wind is going from $0 to $2000 when my policy is renewed. They are blaming claims and high inflation. I live in the midwest.

The deductible on overall policy is $1000. I do not know what my premium will be, yet, only that my coverage will be less.

Last edited:
The bathrooms in our condo building have a vent powered by a fan on the building roof. There is a small screen covering the opening. The frame is about 5 inches squared. After 14 years, ours has been pretty much been eaten away by the salt air. We also have to replace our window screens every 5 or 6 years due to the same problem. Since they are visible to the neighbors, the association comes around and "condemns" them regularly. The salt destroys the aluminum frame. SO, taking the old bathroom vent cover to City Mill where they custom build these units, they wanted almost $38! Last time we replaced a window screen (perhaps 15" by 35") I think it cost about $25. I realize that the "tiny" screen is harder to build - but not THAT much harder. Their custom w*rk has simply exploded in price. I can't put a number on it since we've never replaced that little screen - heh, heh, no bathroom inspections by the HOA, thank goodness. In a year or two, I'll have to replace the large screens and I'm sure they will have easily doubled or tripled by then.

This happened about 7 years ago, so not new inflation. The basic, very common 16 inch by 20 inch (I think) air filter for the furnace used to be about $1 each. You could buy a pack of 4 or 5 at a time for $5.

Now they're some huge price like $12 or something EACH. And you can only buy them individually. What a scam. Cardboard frame and plastic mesh. Really? This is at a Walmart store. Haven't checked online yet.

This happened about 7 years ago, so not new inflation. The basic, very common 16 inch by 20 inch (I think) air filter for the furnace used to be about $1 each. You could buy a pack of 4 or 5 at a time for $5.
Now they're some huge price like $12 or something EACH. And you can only buy them individually. What a scam. Cardboard frame and plastic mesh. Really? This is at a Walmart store. Haven't checked online yet.

I buy 16x25x1 MERV 7 furnace filters from Menards, 3 for $10.

It has been several years since we bought major furniture, a sofa and loveseat. We started looking this year at replacing a sofa in another room, and checked with the same store. I was surprised at the change in the delivery charge. The last time we bought, it was $99, and included setup of both items and removal of anything it replaced. Now they are charging $225 for a single item to "move it to a room on the same level as the entrance". Extra if it is on a different floor, or if you want them to unpack and set it up. The charge is more than the a third of the sale price of the sofa we are looking at. They will reduce the charge $175 if you just have it dropped off in your driveway.

Back
Top Bottom