Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Diesel inventory levels are at very low levels - 25 days supply; which is lowest they have been since 2008. Compounded by home heating oil needs that is a very similar refinery product, I don't see any relief in diesel prices. I heard on the news about rationing of home heating oil in northeast US. Diesel shortages will cause a very bad ripple effect throughout the economy. Everything is supplied by diesel at some point in the supply cycle.

This could get nasty if we get a cold winter. You might want to fill your tanks if you use home heating oil, especially in the northeast. Pricing is one thing but this is sounding like supply shortages are imminent.

The price of diesel in many western states. We drove the RV 1600 miles from California through Nevada to Utah and back. Fuel bill was close to $900. While diesel was more expensive in California, it was maybe 50 cents a gallon more is all. California was $5.90, Nevada $5.50 and Utah was $5.20 on average. And since I'm only 50 miles from Nevada, very little California priced Diesel was purchased.

It's not just out west. It's $5.29 a gallon here in flyover/oil country while regular is $3.09

While regular gas prices have dropped somewhat over the past few weeks they are still much higher than a year ago. Diesel has not gone down much at all. In fact I saw one station selling it at $6.02 a gallon. I think this is the first $6+ fuel I have seen in my area. I'm glad I drive a hybrid.

That is one part of the equation, but since almost all consumer goods have to be delivered by vehicles that use diesel it still affects us.

Last edited:
That is one part of the equation, but since almost all consumer goods have to be delivered by vehicles that use diesel it still affects us.

Of course it does. Besides my Hybrid is burns gasoline. A diesel hybrid long hauling truck? Now that is interesting to think about. I wonder if it is feasible.

In any case, I should add that only one station had diesel above $6 in my area near Seattle. Perhaps they were running low and waiting for a tanker to bring them a load. Most diesel prices are in the mid $5 range about 50 cents higher than regular. On an energy per gallon basis that might be a better deal than regular gasoline in the $5.20 range.

Of course it does. Besides my Hybrid is burns gasoline. A diesel hybrid big hauling truck? Not that is interesting. I wonder if it is feasible.

In any case, I should add that only one station had diesel above $6 in my area near Seattle. Perhaps they were running low and waiting for a tanker to bring them a load. Most diesel prices are in the mid $5 range about 50 cents higher than regular. On an energy per gallon basis that might be a better deal than regular gasoline in the $5.20 range.

I would guess quite possible. Such as goods being moved by rail...yes, fuel is expensive, but they can move a lot of freight with one train and they are getting longer and longer.

I've been eyeballing the Harbor Freight 1,000 lb. capacity lift cart for several years now for use in maintaining yard equipment and moving heavy stuff, like salt for the water softener from truck to house and the like. The only reason I want the heavier-duty one is that it also goes higher, a couple of inches higher than the tailgate on my truck, which is 32 inches. The 500 lb. capacity one does not go that high, otherwise it would suit my needs.

With my increasing back issues this is shifting from a "want" to a "need" and at $370 it's priced way higher than I've ever seen it. Dang, I should've bought it last year.

Of course it does. Besides my Hybrid is burns gasoline. A diesel hybrid long hauling truck? Now that is interesting to think about. I wonder if it is feasible...

I would guess quite possible. Such as goods being moved by rail...yes, fuel is expensive, but they can move a lot of freight with one train and they are getting longer and longer.

A hybrid engine shines when you do a lot of stop and go, because the regenerative braking recovers the energy from the motion that would be wasted as heat in the regular vehicles with friction brakes.

Or regen will also help when you are going up/down hill, and recover the energy when you are cruising down slope.

But in a cross-country drive at a constant speed on flat land, there's not much an electric motor can do to help.

The electric motor can help with acceleration, and this allows a smaller ICE engine. However, trucks always have poor acceleration, and nobody seems to care to improve it. Truckers care more about low fuel usage than drag racing.

Last edited:
Well, we don't know yet that the market will bear this. Perhaps sales of Coca Cola at Walmart will go down 40%+ this coming year. ;)

I don't drink Coca Cola but have cut my Diet Pepsi habit in half! Costco (and all the other stores I frequent) have raised the prices of sodas a LOT. I finally decided it was time to cut back - for health and to save money. YMMV

Another data point for diesel…SE PA… regular gas at $3.99 while diesel was at $5.99 per gallon. I don’t pay close attention usually but that must be the biggest spread I can remember.

Another data point for diesel…SE PA… regular gas at $3.99 while diesel was at $5.99 per gallon. I don’t pay close attention usually but that must be the biggest spread I can remember.

I was listening to Road Dog radio this AM (specialty channel for commercial truckers) and the topic being discussed was the "diesel shortage" up and down the east coast. Apparently a lot of truckers are having issues getting diesel fuel along I-95...mainly not being able to fill up at one stop and running late on deliveries. I haven't heard about this in the main stream news, so not sure if they haven't caught on or it's isolated (at this time).

If there is in fact a shortage, this could cause some significant issues if a rail strike happens which is still on the table. The cooling off period ends on Nov 19th (or perhaps Dec 4th depending on who you ask).

Last edited:

Better buy it now - it's gonna get worse. A LOT worse from everything I've seen. Not sure there is even a way to head it off if we set our minds to it. Maybe pray for a mild winter so heating oil can be formulated into diesel??

Had lunch at a Mexican restauant I used to frequent years ago. Food was OK. Previously after meal always bought a quart of Salsa to take home. Passed this time. The Salsa with chips before meal was closer to water than the thick stuff they used to have.

Just got my health insurance renewal rate. It's a 20% increase. Ouch.

Ouch, indeed. My supplement went up - fortunately not 20%. Megacorp gives me a chunk of cash to buy insurance but it didn't go up as much as my costs have gone up. Still feel blessed to have the "chunk" but I can see it's a losing game at this point.

Our property tax in Florida (Palm Beach County) increased 10.7% and 1.02% at hour primary home in Los Angeles County.

My supplement went up 10% this year and 15% last year.

Our property tax in Florida (Palm Beach County) increased 10.7% and 1.02% at hour primary home in Los Angeles County.

Do FL property taxes increase with appraised value, similar to TX?

Drove by the same station last night. Regular is still $3.99 but diesel increased to $6.19.

Been picking up bagged lettuce from Aldi's for as long as I can remember.

Has always been .89 when Publix is usually around $1.89. Today the price jumped to $1.49. A 67% increase.

WTH!!!!

Do FL property taxes increase with appraised value, similar to TX?

The amount of property tax is tied to the purchase price. We don't have a homestead exemption so our rates go up with market prices. When we bought our condo in 2011, the taxes were $1837 annually. Now they are $6736 with the 4% discount.

A bit of good news, Lidl had chicken breasts at $1.99 lb. for a family pack on sale. I never thought I would see $1.99 again.

The amount of property tax is tied to the purchase price. We don't have a homestead exemption so our rates go up with market prices. When we bought our condo in 2011, the taxes were $1837 annually. Now they are $6736 with the 4% discount.

Wow! I guess FL residents don’t have that much inflation since they get homestead exemptions.

Although almost everything else is going up, our property tax has only increased by $2 this year. It isn't supposed to go up for us by a maximum of 3%/yr. Of course I bought the house about 40 years ago for $50k while it's suggested value is now estimated at 25X these days. We are the little house on the block while a few of the McMansions are paying property taxes that are as much as the original purchase of our house!

Cheers!

A hybrid engine shines when you do a lot of stop and go, because the regenerative braking recovers the energy from the motion that would be wasted as heat in the regular vehicles with friction brakes.

Or regen will also help when you are going up/down hill, and recover the energy when you are cruising down slope.

But in a cross-country drive at a constant speed on flat land, there's not much an electric motor can do to help.

The electric motor can help with acceleration, and this allows a smaller ICE engine. However, trucks always have poor acceleration, and nobody seems to care to improve it. Truckers care more about low fuel usage than drag racing.

Also, a Diesel Electric locomotive also is not a hybrid, in the sense that we think of them as in cars. The way they work is that the Diesel engine provides power to the electric motors that turn the wheels. It eliminates the need for a transmission, which in a locomotive with 8 or more wheels, would be very complex, and wasteful.

I might be over-simplifying it a bit, but, but they're not like an automotive hybrid where you mostly run on the electric, and the gas engine only kicks on when you need the extra power, or to recharge the batteries.

As for hybrid cars, while they usually get better fuel economy in the city cycle than the highway cycle, for EPA purposes, don't they still usually get better economy, overall, than their full-gasoline counterparts? At least, when comparing across similar size classes? For example, I believe the Prius always got better economy than a Corolla...by a big margin on the city cycle, but even on the highway cycle I think it was better.

So, perhaps a hybrid system would still do some good in a big rig, if not as much as we'd hope for?

Previous free estimate from a contractor now has a $75 trip charge. Owner (really nice guy, seriously) says it is due to diesel costs.

Back
Top Bottom