Examples of current inflation - add yours!

When 55+ million birds are taken out of the mix, then there are going to be some price corrections. I expect to see something similar in the coming months with beef as the drought has made cattle production lag significantly.

Maybe it shows how my addled brain w*rks, but WHERE do you dispose of 55,000,000 dead birds?:yuk: That has to contribute to the cost as well as just the shortage of layers.

I paid $4.43 for a dozen organic cage free brown eggs at Aldi's on 1/07/23. I used 5 of them making 2 omelets for dinner last night.

I don't enjoy the higher prices, but I am sure thankful for the cola's on our SSA checks and my CSRS pension to help pay for them.

Eggs have been expensive here for about 6 months.

Temperatures have been way above normal around here except for that one-week blast of cold air around Christmas so even if natural gas prices do go up I don't expect we'll be hit too hard anyway. But we'll see.

Well, maybe - same here. But I'll bet you & I will both receive one or more shocking gas bills before the winter's over. :dance::LOL:

Maybe this is par for the course, but I had to pay $14 for a fish and chips order for my date last night, at a bar. Got 4 decent size chunks of fish, and a good amount of fries. This would have been $9.95 7 years ago, I think. The good news is I got a 64 ounce pitcher of Yuengling lager on special for just $10.

I don't need to get gas often, maybe every 6 weeks. I watched gas crater in December and thought my next fill up would be nice.

Nope. All of the sudden it is up 30 cents in the last 2 weeks! Only 2 cents of that is due to state tax increase.

Party over? Refineries? China consuming again with zero covid over? All of the above? What's up?

Last edited:
I don't need to get gas often, maybe every 6 weeks. I watched gas crater in December and thought my next fill up would be nice.

Nope. All of the sudden it is up 30 cents in the last 2 weeks! Only 2 cents of that is due to state tax increase.

Party over? Refineries? China consuming again with zero covid over? All of the above? What's up?

This is a pretty decent resource for news/industry insiders about what's going on.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/blog

Same thing here, I waited too long to fill :facepalm:

+1 for the COLA's on my military retiree & disability pensions.

+2. Or actually, plus 7. Currently receiving (DW and I) 2 military pensions, 2 VA disabilities, will receive one FERS (DW) and 2 SS. All 7 of those are COLA. Very fortunate. But, we paid that bill with 7 combat deployments (between us).

I feel for the folks out there who don't have COLA anything.

I feel for the folks out there who don't have COLA anything.
Most of us not in public sector late 80s and beyond.

Your kids and grandkids are very angry. One reason why.

Yeah, I try not to be too much "let them eat cake" because the next thing you know, your cat con is missing. Inflation can hurt even those of us who can afford the money aspect.

I don't make the rules. Just try my best to play by them. Kids and grandkids will definitely benefit from DW and I's COLA income. They do currently with car tires, airline tix, etc... One kid is military (reserves) and gov employee. The other is private sector but she knows the deal. She and my SIL are financially savy and I do not worry about them. Also taught my kids to never be jealous of what someone else (may have) worked hard for or even inherited.

Last edited:
Eggs have been expensive here for about 6 months.

I have been amazed that the giant grilled shrimp Caesar salad we each get as take-out from our favorite sportsbar, still includes a large boiled egg with it. Frank gives me his egg since he does not like boiled eggs! (Just goes to show that nobody, not even him, is perfect. :2funny:) So anyway I get two.

The cost for this huge salad, complete with tax and tip, is $12. I haven't been to a grocery store in several years, but it seems the increase in egg prices in my region has not reached restaurant suppliers yet. That's good because I love boiled eggs. :D

You think that's bad? The BP station around the corner from me was at 2.65 the week before Christmas and is now at 3.45.

The rate of inflation may be dropping but inflation is far from dead.

You think that's bad? The BP station around the corner from me was at 2.65 the week before Christmas and is now at 3.45.

The rate of inflation may be dropping but inflation is far from dead.

When I lived in the midwest, 30 cent hikes (and subsequent drops) were common - all within a week or 10 days. Just the way the local gas stations operated. (Heh, heh, no reason for it - just their policy.) That was why I was so glad to get my first Sams Club card since they rarely went up more than two or three cents at a time. After a big jump at all the other stations, I'd often save 50 cents or more at Sams.

So I don't put too much stock in local prices until Sams (or now Costco) goes up or down. That's how I determine gas inflation/deflation. YMMV

Here is the gasoline price chart for my area for the past four years, so pre Covid to now. Looks like prices are going down to me. Source: https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts

Attachments

• gas prices CT 4 year.gif
    gas prices CT 4 year.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Here is the gasoline price chart for my area for the past four years, so pre Covid to now. Looks like prices are going down to me. Source: https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts

There was great rejoicing over the December CPI overall report. If gasoline and energy don't turn around last half of this month, then there won't be rejoicing over the January number.

We can pick and choose time periods. I made it pretty clear that I get gas every 6 weeks and I got surprised by this rise, in my area. I missed the trough which I thought I would get. The sudden rise bit me in the butt. Too bad for me.

Attachments

• gas1.JPG
    gas1.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 32
I have been amazed that the giant grilled shrimp Caesar salad we each get as take-out from our favorite sportsbar, still includes a large boiled egg with it. Frank gives me his egg since he does not like boiled eggs! (Just goes to show that nobody, not even him, is perfect. :2funny:) So anyway I get two.

The cost for this huge salad, complete with tax and tip, is $12. I haven't been to a grocery store in several years, but it seems the increase in egg prices in my region has not reached restaurant suppliers yet. That's good because I love boiled eggs. :D

Due to getting full implants on the bottom I was on a soft food diet for 6 months. I ate so many eggs that 6 years later I rarely eat one:)).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom