Experienced Type 2 Diabetic - Prednisone ?

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Type 2, 15+ years. Metformin, Glipzide. Figure tip pricks, always under 120
before breakfast.

Four weeks ago, developed Hives. Urgent care Md, prescribed Prednisone.
Blister Packet. Take 6 pills 1st day, 5 2nd day, down to 1 last day. Weeks worth, I think.

Ever since taking the Prednisone, my before breakfast readings are 130-150 range.

Anyone experience this? Internet search says Prednisone can take 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, longer, etc, to wear off.

Anyone have same experience? Very frustrating. :(

No direct experience, but...

...what's the mg concentration of the steroid Prednisone ?

DW took Prednisone due to COPD and within a year developed severe osteoporosis and lost 4" in height. Be careful with that stuff.

I asked my DW nurse about this. First she stated, why are YOU giving any medical advice to anyone on the internet, Then let me know that this will raise your glucose levels for some unspecified period of time.

I went to my acupuncture this morning because of hives around my neck, she’s been successfully treat this problem due to rapid weight loss before.

I asked my DW nurse about this. First she stated, why are YOU giving any medical advice to anyone on the internet, Then let me know that this will raise your glucose levels for some unspecified period of time.

Internet search gave similar time period. Just wondering if others had experienced similar situation, and when did their "numbers" return to "normal".

Oh, taking over the counter, benadryl, anti histamine, worked great. Wish I had never taken the Prednisone.

Just a dose pack of cortisone. You are doing great. Don't worry about your sugar levels right now. Nothing you can do about it other than continue doing what you're doing.

Type 2, 15+ years. Metformin, Glipzide. Figure tip pricks, always under 120
before breakfast.

Four weeks ago, developed Hives. Urgent care Md, prescribed Prednisone.
Blister Packet. Take 6 pills 1st day, 5 2nd day, down to 1 last day. Weeks worth, I think.

Ever since taking the Prednisone, my before breakfast readings are 130-150 range.

Anyone experience this? Internet search says Prednisone can take 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, longer, etc, to wear off.

Anyone have same experience? Very frustrating. :(
Yes.

I had my T2 pretty much under control with A1Cs ranging 6.1, 5.7, 5.9 the previous 18 months before needing prednisone. Took prednisone for something.... don't recall.... my BG #s went up significantly and I have never gotten back down to the high 5's on the A1C. It got up to the low 7's and was stubborn. I added Jardiance and I have been down to the lows 6's on the A1C since.

Of course there are other variables but the prednisone was not a coincidence in my case. I want nothing to do with that stuff if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
My DH is also type 2 diabetic. Starting tomorrow he needs to take steroids for 4 days (10 pills a day) to bring up his red blood cell count that has been quite low over summer. The hematologist he is working with communicated with DW endocrinologist to advise. The endocrinologist suggested taking an additional dose of Glipzide to help with the spike. It's a constant battle whenever he has new medicines introduced.

Have you contacted the doctor who is treating you for the Diabetes and find out what he/she recommends? There are usually alternate treatments for most issues, especially when someone is taking other medications, doctors deal with that all the time.

I had a similar experience when i had to take a 5 day steroid pack. Once done, it took about a week for my fasting number so get back to normal (after meal also was affected but only half as much).

I took prednisone for two years for an autoimmune condition. Many people in the prednisone user groups I’ve subscribed to have developed diabetes, osteoporosis, cataracts etc. It’s a miracle drug with horrendous side effects.

I took prednisone for two years for an autoimmune condition. Many people in the prednisone user groups I’ve subscribed to have developed diabetes, osteoporosis, cataracts etc. It’s a miracle drug with horrendous side effects.

See what it did to my DW in Post #2.

I also didn't mention the fact that once her bones became very brittle and translucent, she broke 4 vertebrae just leaning over the counter and reaching for an item. Those had to be glued back together. Such fun.

My non-diabetic friend (typical fasting blood sugar 80-90) had to go on prednisone for a week. Her FBS shot up to 140-150, then settled back almost immediately upon completion.

The devils tic tacs. Works well for many inflammatory conditions but the side effects can make you sick.

The devils tic tacs. Works well for many inflammatory conditions but the side effects can make you sick.
+1
I hate that stuff with a passion. Haven't taken it since the summer of 1985. At that time I felt like they were "stupid pills". In other words, my perception was that this medication seemed to slow my thought processes quite a lot, temporarily, making me stupid (stupider? :LOL: ) and to me that was extremely upsetting. But I had no choice given the very serious reasons for the prescription. I hope I never have to go through that again.

Ugh. It would take a phenomenal level of persuasion to get me to ever take that awful stuff again.

The steroid dose packs make you heal fast. And it's simply necessary in many situations.

Try to get someone with pneumonia well without steroids. They might die on you first.

When meds are necessary, you cannot pick and choose just because they make your blood sugar levels go up temporarily. Chances are you feel the same at 150 as you would at 250--and not even know you're high on blood sugars. Such meds are just taken for 5 days or so.

Took it for 3 days when I had hives reaction. Don't take mt BP or glucose readings, so don't know of any effect.
Will think twice in the future though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom