Favorite Books/Websites About Life After Retirement

zl55lz

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm sure this has been covered many times, but what are your favorite books/websites with stories about retirement or early retirement?

Not about finances, but rather about people living the adventure of life after retirement.

86bd9208-5f48-4f02-b46e-e4753b6199e6.0afd5789ad3a1e226f914e2862566284.jpeg

Great book, Midpack. I read it a few years before I recently retired.

I’ve read many books on retirement , most of them dealing with the “non- financial “ aspects. Author, Nancy Schlossberg has written many of these including the latest one I read called Revitalizing Retirement .

Although many of hers and this genre of book are repetitive, they do focus on finding a purpose in retirement to replace that of working. Be it Volunteer work, taking care of others (elderly relatives, grandkids etc), pursuing hobbies etc.

Having read so many of these books, I would say pick a couple such as the one Midpack recommended and a Nancy Schlossberg book or two and that’s plenty.

I found it interesting that in a retirement forum, in the sub-forum about life after retirement, there was such a lack of replies to the original question. I wonder if this is because most people are focused on the financial aspect of retirement rather than (at least stories via books) of what it is like for people who actually did retire and their experiences?

Very interesting. To me, getting an idea of the latter (experiential aspect) is maybe as important as the former (financial aspect).

Then again, maybe it is covered so well in the forum it isn't necessary for many people?!

Last edited:
Zelinski's book is a great read, Get a Life exercise is good motivator for what you may want to do in retirement.

This forum has so many threads on what/how folks are living their retirement, what they are doing/cooking/making/traveleing, etc.
There are quite a few bloggers out there who write about what their retirement life is like.

Zelinski's book is a great read, Get a Life exercise is good motivator for what you may want to do in retirement.

This forum has so many threads on what/how folks are living their retirement, what they are doing/cooking/making/traveleing, etc.
There are quite a few bloggers out there who write about what their retirement life is like.

Thanks. Do you or anyone else have any favorite blogs which are trustworthy sites?

Lots of retired or financially independent video bloggers on YouTube with travel or hobby videos.

I'm sure this has been covered many times, but what are your favorite books/websites with stories about retirement or early retirement?

Not about finances, but rather about people living the adventure of life after retirement.
There are many adventures written about on this site we are on. There is a books read thread, for example, as well as travel threads.

I've posted about our adventures to Ireland and Germany, where I visited the sites my great-grandparents came from. That may not be detailed enough to keep your interest, though.

The adventure of life after retirement includes some mundane stuff. Our basement sewer line backed up, and that was a week of fun!

And then, like magic, our 2nd AC went out. Lol. It's like we traveled to a hotter, humid place. But not so far to our 2nd floor!

I suppose the adventure is what you choose to do. Take a chance, don't plan so much, and enjoy the changes.

I can't imagine anything better than what you can get on this site.

With more than 2,5 million posts this website has enough to keep anyone busy reading some very good advice although you should read enough to know those members that give good advice for your situation. I also read a number of posts in Boggleheads for a few years. There are many good books recommended here (the library is a good place to borrow them) but I am already at a point in retirement where I am comfortable with the plan I have developed for our circumstances.

Cheers!

I found it interesting that in a retirement forum, in the sub-forum about life after retirement, there was such a lack of replies to the original question....

Or maybe, because we are actually living the life we want, we have very little interest in reading what someone else wants to do with their retirement? Sounds kinda like a retirement version of 'keeping up with the Jones's"?

Maybe the book is interesting, I don't know - but I generally find those that need to tell us about what they do aren't worth listening to - just do it and get on with your life. Or, instead of looking for a mentor, be the mentor, to yourself. Do you really need help to enjoy retirement?

-ERD50

Or maybe, because we are actually living the life we want, we have very little interest in reading what someone else wants to do with their retirement? Sounds kinda like a retirement version of 'keeping up with the Jones's"?

Maybe the book is interesting, I don't know - but I generally find those that need to tell us about what they do aren't worth listening to - just do it and get on with your life. Or, instead of looking for a mentor, be the mentor, to yourself. Do you really need help to enjoy retirement?

-ERD50

+1

When I first came to this forum, I chose the username "Want2Retire", because I was SO ready to retire. Every single person in my family was retired, except for me, and I had worked so hard all my life. I daydreamed about what I could/would do in retirement. Why would I need somebody else to tell me what to do with my precious retirement time? I didn't. So, I never even read the Zelinski book much less any of the others. I've been retired for 14 years now, and never once felt like I didn't know what to do.

Now there's nothing wrong with reading those books if you think they'll help you! We're all different. I'm just saying that for me they were unnecessary. I do like reading posts by our members who are having a lot of fun in retirement doing things I might never had thought of doing. Posts like that are inspiring, or at least very pleasant to read!

I read Zelenski’s book a couple of times but didn’t find it helpful.

I found it interesting that in a retirement forum, in the sub-forum about life after retirement, there was such a lack of replies to the original question. I wonder if this is because most people are focused on the financial aspect of retirement rather than (at least stories via books) of what it is like for people who actually did retire and their experiences?

Very interesting. To me, getting an idea of the latter (experiential aspect) is maybe as important as the former (financial aspect).

Then again, maybe it is covered so well in the forum it isn't necessary for many people?!
My take is that it's because there isn't a good answer that applies to everyone. When someone asks me what people do in retirement, I say, what do you do evenings, weekends, and holidays? What do you think about taking time off to do? Do that! And maybe find new hobbies or activities that you didn't even consider while you were working.

+1
I started the Zelenski's book "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" after seeing so many positive reviews, but didn't finish it. I found it to be geared more toward one who is not sure they are ready for retirement. What will I do? Will I get bored? What will my purpose be? The book can help convince folks that retirement will be a good place for them, and give them the courage to take that leap.

I need no convincing! :)

The book is probably really helpful for some, but I felt it just wasn't really a fit for me and my mindset.

I agree with you. One thing this site and others give you is immediate feedback as well as a healthy dose of peer "review."

The book in discussion is a good example. A photo of the book cover is posted with no comment. Do I rush out and buy that book? The cost is minimal, but my time is invaluable at this stage. So within a few posts I can readily tell the book has nothing for me.

Now, a newb might get some structure and guidance from the book. So, I'll decline.

Wow, the OP specifically asked for books on life after retirement aside from finances. That's what the Zelinski book is for.

Instead from some he get's I didn't need a book why do you? Geeeez

Last edited:
The book in discussion is a good example. A photo of the book cover is posted with no comment. Do I rush out and buy that book? The cost is minimal, but my time is invaluable at this stage. So within a few posts I can readily tell the book has nothing for me.
No, IF you are interested enough you check it out from your local library for free, and devote as much or as little time as you choose.

For us it is/was Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors, Rough Guides, etc, plus numerous blog sites of those who travel frequently, sometimes for extended periods.

Last edited:
Wow, the OP specifically asked for books on life after retirement aside from finances. That's what the Zelinski book is for.

If you didn't want/need convincing for guidance, good for you. Some do.

How is giving the OP multiple opinions on the book not helpful?
I even said "The book is probably really helpful for some". But as others also alluded to, it is not for everyone. The OP can consider the different viewpoints and make their own decisions. I'm not sure why that is objectionable.

(p.s. Not sure if you intended the "good for you" to comes across as hostile / unfriendly, but it did.)

How is giving the OP multiple opinions on the book not helpful?
I even said "The book is probably really helpful for some". But as others also alluded to, it is not for everyone. The OP can consider the different viewpoints and make their own decisions. I'm not sure why that is objectionable.

(p.s. Not sure if you intended the "good for you" to comes across as hostile / unfriendly, but it did.)
It's not. Evidently you missed the posts I was referring to that didn't review the book at all, that some might consider hostile unfriendly to the OP...

+1
I started the Zelenski's book "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" after seeing so many positive reviews, but didn't finish it. I found it to be geared more toward one who is not sure they are ready for retirement. What will I do? Will I get bored? What will my purpose be? The book can help convince folks that retirement will be a good place for them, and give them the courage to take that leap.

I need no convincing! :)

The book is probably really helpful for some, but I felt it just wasn't really a fit for me and my mindset.

Agree, the book really didn't do much for me. I didn't need any convincing either. All I needed to know is that I wouldn't be doing the work that I was doing. Anything after that was bonus. Some days I'm very happy doing almost nothing. Other days I get motivated and do something. Right now, I'm planning a small trip. Travel is not something I'm eager to do, but being able to do it when and how I want pretty much sums up retirement.

I think the bulk of what I've absorbed about life after retirement has been from one off posts/guests/podcasts (mingled in with standard financial discussions) versus a book or website dedicated to that specific topic.

A Youtube channel/podcast that I discovered just before I retired and really enjoy is Two Sides of FI.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@TwoSidesOfFI/videos
Website/Podcast/Show notes: https://twosidesoffi.com/

It's 2 friends (Eric and Jason) in their early 50's, one retiring at ~47yo and the other still working towards it. They are my contemporaries/age group and I retired just over a year ago so I relate to a lot of their dialogue. I also appreciate the discussion format between them (versus a single voice narrative of a post/article/book). While many of their videos are around the financials of FI, about 1 out of 5-10 videos are about life after FI/retirement; topics like:
What's my purpose after retiring
The lowest point in my first year of retirement
How we travel pre and post financial independence
etc, etc

Last edited:

Instead from some he get's I didn't need a book why do you? Geeeez

I posted earlier but it never showed up. Midpack, thanks for sticking up for me!! I appreciate it. I guess I should have been more clear in my original post to help avoid some comments. I have plenty to do in retirement. I was actually thinking more along the lines of stories/books by others who have traveled, lived overseas, etc. I enjoy reading about such things, sort of like some people enjoy reading fiction. Relaxing and fun for me. I appreciate the comments.

Back
Top Bottom