Favorite games?

When our family gets together, we just play the old fashioned card games of Hearts or Spades. Love family card time, lots of laughter and stories around the table !

Lots of good games mentioned! We recently discovered Blokus. I love that we can play with 4 adults, or a mixture of ages (our kids are both under 10) and have just as much fun!

Sent from my XT1650 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Used to play the original Trivial Pursuit but it got so no one would play with me. For what ever reason, my brain is wired to recall certain kinds of trivia - especially from my youth and early adulthood.

+1

I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit, save for sports questions. I'm absolute rubbish on those. My best game - one move between me and winning, and it was a sports question. "What chess pieces are involved in the move called castling?" Aced it, though I'm still not sure why chess is considered a sport. (Mental picture of chess jocks flipping lunchroom trays in high school.)

Cribbage may be the best 2 person card game. My DW and I have played for years. A game takes about a bottle of wine to finish. For a long time we kept track of who won (over several years). Don't anymore. Like playing Euchre with daughter and SIL. Have recently started playing Sequence (card/board game) for a change of pace.

+1

I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit, save for sports questions. I'm absolute rubbish on those. My best game - one move between me and winning, and it was a sports question. "What chess pieces are involved in the move called castling?" Aced it, though I'm still not sure why chess is considered a sport. (Mental picture of chess jocks flipping lunchroom trays in high school.)

My best category was Sports and my worst was Art & Literature. My most memorable answer in that tough category (for a wedge) which turned the game around was: "What army did ......(something I can't remember)?" Not having any clue, I blurted out "Salvation Army" and it was correct!

IIRC, the Sports category is actually called, "Sports and Leisure." Hence, you get questions about board games and some other non-sports things.

We have a small group of 4 couples and we get together once a month at someone's house for game night.... a simple dinner and games.

We typically play Pitch or Oh Hell or Golf (card games), or Mexican Train dominos or LCR (dice game) with quarters. When my niece was visiting we played a few video games where each player would use their phone or tablet.... like You Don't Know Jack.... those were fun. Also, sometimes we play Phase 10 (a card game).

DW is more into games than I.

+1

Because it's not "Sports"--it's "Sports and Leisure." The "leisure" questions in the category have resulted in many a victory for DH and me over the years.

Settlers of Catan
Blokus
Carcassonne
Dominion card game

We hosted many years ago , a murder mystery game. It was on a VHS tape, it had invitations that we sent out in the mail, and we had drinks and hors d'oeuvres it was a blast. Hours of fun.

Cribbage may be the best 2 person card game. My DW and I have played for years. A game takes about a bottle of wine to finish. For a long time we kept track of who won (over several years). Don't anymore. Like playing Euchre with daughter and SIL. Have recently started playing Sequence (card/board game) for a change of pace.

I like that - a game takes a bottle of wine to finish. We need to try Cribbage!

Back
Top Bottom