FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

But I got Moderna and they are not even considering the booster for that yet.

As I understand it, they are waiting on more data. Meanwhile, this is good news ...

Researchers have found that the Moderna vaccine is the most effective against covid-19 hospitalization. The CDC-led nationwide study found the effectiveness of Moderna’s vaccine against hospitalization was 93 percent, while that of Pfizer-BioNTech’s and Johnson & Johnson’s vaccines was 88 percent and 71 percent, respectively.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...live-updates/#link-ESOSV36E5RCFVHXDGAZDQ5WWHI

Yeah, I suppose it's only truly "raging" among the unvaccinated. But still, the Israel data show that the incidence of severe COVID cases is ten times lower among "boostered" people (60 and older) than among fully vaccinated, nonboostered people. And there seems to be very, very little downside to the 3rd shot, with only one confirmed case of myocarditis out of 2.9 million who received a booster shot in Israel. I'm just not getting the FDA's rationale here. :confused:

Again will just be a third or will it be shot after shot for the next several years. Our bodies complex and saying there is little downside in short run doesn't preclude issues in the long run.

Last edited:
So you have Moderna in you as I do you, do you want run out and override the Moderna with the P vaccine even though at this point its running behind the Moderna in length of protection. I don't
I don't think "override" makes sense when it comes to vaccination. If anything, you would likely broaden and enhance existing protection. The Brits are going with Pfizer for their boosters even if you had Moderna initially like I did. If I'm offered the Pfizer as a booster vs waiting another month or more for a third Moderna shot, I'll gladly opt for the Pfizer. I never believed it would be one or two shots and done and with the emergence of variants like Delta and the continued obstinance of so many anti-vaxxers, I won't hesitate to get additional boosters for my own protection. I get a flu shot every year; an annual covid shot is no big deal.

I don't think "override" makes sense when it comes to vaccination. If anything, you would likely broaden and enhance existing protection. The Brits are going with Pfizer for their boosters even if you had Moderna initially like I did. If I'm offered the Pfizer as a booster vs waiting another month or more for a third Moderna shot, I'll gladly opt for the Pfizer. I never believed it would be one or two shots and done and with the emergence of variants like Delta and the continued obstinance of so many anti-vaxxers, I won't hesitate to get additional boosters for my own protection. I get a flu shot every year; an annual covid shot is no big deal.

Annual...:dance: it's 3 shots in 5 months.. I believe my Moderna is still offering me very good protection...a based on what I read I will wait and see if I am offered another Moderna....

Annual...:dance: it's 3 shots in 5 months.. I believe my Moderna is still offering me very good protection...a based on what I read I will wait and see if I am offered another Moderna....

I think one's attitude towards booster shots (regardless of how frequently they may be needed going forward) has a lot to do with how much you're ready to fully resume things like: international travel; going to large, crowded events; eating indoors at restaurants; etc. I am happy to get a booster shot every 6 months for years, if it means I can live the fullest, richest life possible with minimal worry about COVID. I would get one tomorrow, if it were offered for my age group.

I'm another Moderna recipient. I'll get a Pfizer booster when offered or if I have to fudge the truth at 8 months to get a dose (in Nov). Moderna is working on a booster protocol that is a half dose of their original vaccine. My understanding is that Pfizer is just an additional full dose of theirs. This may be because the initial doses of Moderna had much more mRNA per shot than Pfizer did. In any case, I figure if I wait till Nov (8 months from my initial vaccination), that maybe a few bugs will be worked out. I want a booster, but I don't really want or need to be at the front of the line on this one.

I looked after my 89yo mother for a couple weeks last month when she had a breakthrough case that put her in the hospital for 5 days. At that time I started the iMASK protocol and have continued with it. I never tested positive from being around my mom - tested 3 times. Rightly or wrongly, I feel pretty safe with my current vaccination status and health habits. I wish my mom would have been offered a booster a couple months ago. She is better, but not back to where she was pre-covid.

Last edited:
It’s amazing to me how it seems everyone wants everyone to follow the science…..until it disagrees with what I want.

Just an observation, not meant as accusation. I put myself in this camp as well.

For now, I’ll wait. My 2nd Moderna came in early February. I’ll wait till there’s an approved method of boosters for someone in my circumstances and age group.

I think one's attitude towards booster shots (regardless of how frequently they may be needed going forward) has a lot to do with how much you're ready to fully resume things like: international travel; going to large, crowded events; eating indoors at restaurants; etc. I am happy to get a booster shot every 6 months for years, if it means I can live the fullest, richest life possible with minimal worry about COVID. I would get one tomorrow, if it were offered for my age group.

I think it's more of a function of what you want from a vaccine...do you want to assure you never get Covid or are you OK with the 93% Moderna protection from hospitalization. Even with constant boosters you can't be sure you won't get sick.

Our county is back to "widespread" and then some. So even vaccinated I've cut back on big Covid exposure risk, that's just common sense.

Our church had a youth group kickoff two days ago where they fed hot dogs and ice cream to kids from at least 5 different schools in our church basement. I was asked to serve and told the person asking "No, because I am not happy with the complete lack of Covid protocols in our church." This gathering defied common IMHO.

Last edited:
My first shot was in January so if I get my booster this month it would be 3 shots in 8 months. Plus I believe that the short gap between the mRNA doses was not optimal for long term protection even if it may have been best for short term protection. The big thing I never counted on was the capacity of so many of my fellow citizens to be thoroughly disdainful of science and especially vaccination. :(

+1

My first shot was in January so if I get my booster this month it would be 3 shots in 8 months. Plus I believe that the short gap between the mRNA doses was not optimal for long term protection even if it may have been best for short term protection. The big thing I never counted on was the capacity of so many of my fellow citizens to be thoroughly disdainful of science and especially vaccination. :(

Let's not go there...I'm pro vaccine but not going get one every time "somebody" says it might be a good idea.

Regarding the bold: How can anyone expect a vaccine developed in less than a year to be precise? Normally this takes years. But, unless you are a scientist in this field, "what you believe" has no bearing for the rest of us.

Regarding the last part, I cannot respond due to guidelines.

It’s amazing to me how it seems everyone wants everyone to follow the science…..until it disagrees with what I want.

Just an observation, not meant as accusation. I put myself in this camp as well.

For now, I’ll wait. My 2nd Moderna came in early February. I’ll wait till there’s an approved method of boosters for someone in my circumstances and age group.
Well, I'm not sure you can say the science on this is settled. Though it appears to me that the elderly could definitely benefit from a booster now. Is there anyone saying that's not the case? I also figure that as a 70 y.o., if I wind up in the hospital, there's a real chance that I could be triaged into palliative care due to overburdened healthcare resources.

Well, I'm not sure you can say the science on this is settled. Though it appears to me that the elderly could definitely benefit from a booster now. Is there anyone saying that's not the case? I also figure that as a 70 y.o., if I wind up in the hospital, there's a real chance that I could be triaged into palliative care due to overburdened healthcare resources.

For heavens sake's come on now..

Yeah, I suppose it's only truly "raging" among the unvaccinated. But still, the Israel data show that the incidence of severe COVID cases is ten times lower among "boostered" people (60 and older) than among fully vaccinated, nonboostered people. And there seems to be very, very little downside to the 3rd shot, with only one confirmed case of myocarditis out of 2.9 million who received a booster shot in Israel. I'm just not getting the FDA's rationale here. :confused:

I don't know, either. What I do know is that the 16 people on the committee are MUCH SMARTER than I am when it comes to these decisions. I guess I could go see what the Facebook "experts" are saying, though. :LOL:

Regarding the bold: How can anyone expect a vaccine developed in less than a year to be precise? Normally this takes years. But, unless you are a scientist in this field, "what you believe" has no bearing for the rest of us.
What I believe seems to reflect what scientists in the field currently believe. In the midst of a pandemic, we had to go with a short gap between shots even if that was sub-optimal for the long term. See for example https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-vaccine-efficacy-pfizer-moderna/10975788/

I'll be happy to get the booster shot, right now in various places the hospitals are full.
Alberta Premier was on the news saying their ICU's will be full in days after cancelling all possible surgeries, and they will have to decide who gets a bed soon. ..

If my taking a booster (and lots of others too) means 1 more free bed, then great.

Maybe the FDA thinks folks getting a booster will make it scarce for the non-vaccinated who will suddenly be clamoring for a shot, so best to keep the vaccines in reserve.
However reserving vaccines has not worked well.
So far we have wasted (USA) 15 million doses from not being used.

What I believe seems to reflect what scientists in the field currently believe. In the midst of a pandemic, we had to go with a short gap between shots even if that was sub-optimal for the long term. See for example https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-vaccine-efficacy-pfizer-moderna/10975788/

So, we should have waited another year for the optimal dose to be tested and approved?

It is easy to look back and say we should have done it different. We will know a lot more in 10 years.

Meanwhile, the "science" is all over the place regarding boosters.

So, we should have waited another year for the optimal dose to be tested and approved?
I thought I was quite clear when I stated the following "in the midst of a pandemic, we had to go with a short gap between shots even if that was sub-optimal for the long term."

It is easy to look back and say we should have done it different. We will know a lot more in 10 years.

Meanwhile, the "science" is all over the place regarding boosters.

Didn't the UK space their first and second doses apart? Not so much because of knowledge but more of a gamble since doses weren't plentiful at the time. They might have gambled correctly.

Didn't the UK space their first and second doses apart? Not so much because of knowledge but more of a gamble since doses weren't plentiful at the time. They might have gambled correctly.

Not trying to star a debate. Just saying that when you roll out a vaccine this quickly, there will be a lot of unknowns and things to learn. There is no "proven science" right now, there is only the "best scientific theory".

I am OK with that. That is how science works. I just bristle every time the wind blows and there is a new mantra on the news (though I weigh all that with a grain of salt).

FWIW, we both have had the Pfizer vaccine, so not anti-vax. Will we get the booster? That is the question. Probably.

I also had my second dose of Moderna in Feb and plan to wait until the booster is approved for me even though many of my friends have already had the booster even though they did not qualify..
I am glad that my DH with autoimmune disease got his booster a few weeks ago. My 90 year old mother is getting her Pfizer booster next week, somehow the county health department agreed to come to her CCRC to give boosters. It does seem to me that the really elderly should be able to get a booster now.

Not trying to star a debate. Just saying that when you roll out a vaccine this quickly, there will be a lot of unknowns and things to learn. There is no "proven science" right now, there is only the "best scientific theory".

I am OK with that. That is how science works. I just bristle every time the wind blows and there is a new mantra on the news (though I weigh all that with a grain of salt).

FWIW, we both have had the Pfizer vaccine, so not anti-vax. Will we get the booster? That is the question. Probably.

I knew that you weren't trying to start a debate. Seems like so many are learning on the fly.

I wonder if there will be a clear definition of high risk. Of course, elderly and previous conditions like diabetes. But for those more borderline, I wonder where the line will be drawn.

Back
Top Bottom