FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

I am getting my booster (Moderna) as soon as approved. Had lunch yesterday with a friend whose fully vaccinated sister, BIL and nephew (all vaccinated with 2 Pfizer vaccines) all 3 came down with breakthrough infections. They were not very sick, just felt like a cold. But now a month or so later all 3 have developed more related issues. One has lost sense of smell, one has developed "Covid related" asthma and the nephew (healthy in his 30s) has developed heart issues. The breakthrough cases may not make you very sick at the time but you could develop long term problems.

That's frightening. So sorry to hear this.

You folks getting your flu shot and Covid booster on the same day are much braver than I am --no way I would do that. I would space them out 2 weeks, that is what my pharmacist and doctor recommended.

My pharmacist explained that the 2 week recommendation was to isolate side effects and that it didn’t matter otherwise.

You folks getting your flu shot and Covid booster on the same day are much braver than I am --no way I would do that. I would space them out 2 weeks, that is what my pharmacist and doctor recommended.

I was more than prepared to get both at once, but CVS said Moderna not approved - so no go. Nothing to do with bravery on my part. Just the wheels of the system grinding slowly on. Will be (im)patiently awaiting my Moderna booster. YMMV

Me too!. mostly because my left arm seemed to still be sore from the immunizations since I turned 65, all but the last two in my left arm. I've switched to the right arm for them, so could not do two shots at once.

People talk about all the immunizations for children, but they don't mention people over 65.

- one per year Influenza shots 2017-2021
- two Zoster shoots in 2018
- two Pneumococcal shots, 2019, 2021
- dTap etc, 2021
- Covid-19 three shots in 2021.

All but the last Covid and flu were in the left arm. It permanently hurts now. Right arm's turn.

Yes, FDA approval is only step1. The CDC advisory panel will have to sign off.

What's interesting though, is the new FDA approval allows for mix and match - to get a booster in another jab vs. the same kind.

Yes, FDA approval is only step1. The CDC advisory panel will have to sign off.

What's interesting though, is the new FDA approval allows for mix and match - to get a booster in another jab vs. the same kind.

BTW, I gotta wonder why that is. The Food and Drug Administration is the authority for food and drugs. Seems backwards to me, CDC should be advising FDA.

Although I think they could have waited on Moderna it makes sense to allow boosters for all. People are very confused as it is.

BTW, I gotta wonder why that is. The Food and Drug Administration is the authority for food and drugs. Seems backwards to me, CDC should be advising FDA.

The way I understand it from the prior go around, is, you're right, the FDA has the word purely on "is this drug ok" stuff, but the CDC has a wider purview, ie, overall pandemic management, public health, etc. I won't bore with all the details here, but they are apparently following some existing framework and it does make sense.

As expected, FDA has approved Moderna and J&J boosters https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/20/fda...rna-booster-shots-for-millions-of-people.html Should have CDC approval by week's end, I hope.
Now that it looks like we can choose what vendor we want for our booster, I need to start thinking about which booster I might want. I'm curious if anyone know if the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA instructions are to build exacting the same "spike protein" sequence, or are they designed to build only a section of the spike protein and therefore are unlikely to build the exact same segment? If they both instruct to build the entire "spike protein", and not just a section, then I will likely just get which ever mRNA booster is most readily available.

No issues with the 2 phizer shots..arm was barely mildly sore.. I just got this years flu shot from VA about 2 weeks ago and barely sore at all.a couple months ago I finally got the shingles shot called shingrex and arm hurt considerably for 3-4 days. I am age 61 and need to get the second shingles shot in about 5 months.it is a 2 shot series..Anthrax shot which I got right before our unit took off for Desert Storm was the worst shot I ever recall.
Makes your arm really sore for a good week and drains the overall energy out of you as well. It was a series of about 4-5 shots the first one was the worst.seems like we had to get them about a month apart.

Last edited:
a couple months ago I finally got the shingles shot called shingrex and arm hurt considerably for 3-4 days. I am age 61 and need to get the second shingles shot in about 5 months.it is a 2 shot series..
I was told two to six months between first and second Shingrix shots. I had the second a little over two months after first.

Although I think they could have waited on Moderna it makes sense to allow boosters for all. People are very confused as it is.

Ain't it the truth! Reminds me of Vinnie Barbarino.

Got my Pfizer booster this week.

Considering driving to the next state over to start the Moderna series.

Health department will vaccinate anyone who walks in the door, don't have to be a state resident.

Health department will vaccinate anyone who walks in the door, don't have to be a state resident.

So you are going to take Moderna on top of Pfizer?

Will they mark your same vax card, for the booster?

We got our two COVID shots at the county health dept. so we each have a CDC card with those two shots marked on it. Can we take that card to any pharmacy, etc. and have the booster marked on it?

(Seems like common sense, but my ex-bureaucrat's sense tells me to check first).

Can you tell me why you are even considering this? I wouldn't recommend this course of action to anyone.

We got our two COVID shots at the county health dept. so we each have a CDC card with those two shots marked on it. Can we take that card to any pharmacy, etc. and have the booster marked on it?

(Seems like common sense, but my ex-bureaucrat's sense tells me to check first).

Yes. When DH got his booster he just took the vaccine card he already had and the pharmacist added his booster shot to his card. He got the first 2 shots and health dept and booster at CVS.

I signed up for my booster shot at CVS for my 6 month anniversary. They showed the CDC recommendations online but didn’t otherwise require me to answer any qualifying questions.

News out today - impressive Pfizer booster protection when compared to fully vaccinated without booster from RCT.
Pfizer says its booster shot has 95.6% efficacy against COVID-19 amid the Delta variant
https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-booster-shot-efficacy-preventing-coronavirus-delta-2021-10

Last edited:
I signed up for my booster shot at CVS for my 6 month anniversary. They showed the CDC recommendations online but didn’t otherwise require me to answer any qualifying questions.

News out today - impressive Pfizer booster protection when compared to fully vaccinated without booster from RCT.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-booster-shot-efficacy-preventing-coronavirus-delta-2021-10

Hope we hear from the Israelis in January, Feb or March if the booster antibodies wane 6 months later.

I think they did their first boosters in June or July.

That is exactly what my wife and I did back in mid August. Not sure how that happened since it was way before the recent announcement but they gave us the booster.

Cheers!

The pharmacy slapped another sticker with the booster batch number onto my existing card, filled in the date and pharmacy name, and that's it.

I need to check my states online record and see if the booster has shown up on it yet. Meanwhile, my body is supercharged with antibodies so I actually went out for lunch today and ate inside without a mask. If feel like one of the Wallenda family. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom