FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

Thanks for that info. Since Shingrix is pretty much one and done, I'm not sure how the manufacturer would make that much more money by lowering the age to 50 from 60.

The age had already been lowered to 50 years ago. I got mine and insurance covered when I was in my 50s - Zostavax a few years later Shingrx when it became available. I knew of two many people who got shingles in their 50s.

Got a 3rd dose(booster) of Moderna today at Walgreens. Locally they were the only one that had Moderna boosters....others had Pfizer which would have been ok but I wanted to stay with same brand. No problem getting an appt.

Not sure if this has been discussed here before.

I have a friend who got the antibody test to determine if he should get a 3rd dose of the Covid vaccine. I have read conflicting articles on this and am not sure if you have immunity either from your first 2 doses, exposure to Covid, or just a great immune system that you are protected and should wait for your booster shot.

Anyone have an antibody test to help you make a decision on when to get your Covid booster shot?

Thanks

Probably putting too fine of a point on the topic.

IMO Just Do It makes more sense.

I had shingles at age 50 (before vaccines) and I was sick for months, still have pain where I had the rash 20 years later. I recommend getting the Shingrix vaccine at 50 (or earlier if approved).

Sorry that you were so inflicted harllee. DFIL was too, and I have been a fool for waiting so long to get it.
It really was terrible for him and anyone I have known to have shingles.

Sorry that you were so inflicted harllee. DFIL was too, and I have been a fool for waiting so long to get it.
It really was terrible for him and anyone I have known to have shingles.

And you can get shingles over and over. I had terrible shingles at 50 (changed my life for the worse), then the first vaccine came out and I took that. Then had shingles again twice (but not as bad as the first). Then when Shingrix came out I got the 2 doses of that and have not had shingles since. Anybody that qualifies should definitely get the Shingrix shots.

I set a calendar reminder for my second shot, Mid-December.
DW got her pfizer booster done.

Well, hard to argue with a conspiracy theory but the new vaccine works better than the old live attenuated one and was approved for use at 50 rather than 60 since the studies demonstrating efficacy used a >50 cut off. The risk of shingles increases gradually with age making it not obvious when to start. There's a graph in this article: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/shingles-virus-rash-chicken-pox-complications

Yes. I remember reading at the time that the older vaccine wore off in a certain period of time, and they wanted this efficacy period of the vaccine to cover as many risky years as possible. Shingles begins affecting people around 50, and since risk increases with age they decided on 60.

The new one is much better and lasts longer and therefore they could start it earlier, and still cover the riskiest years.

I just scheduled DH's Moderna booster shot for tomorrow. It was so easy compared to the very first shot.

Thanks for that info. Since Shingrix is pretty much one and done, I'm not sure how the manufacturer would make that much more money by lowering the age to 50 from 60.

True, the company doesn't make any extra money by lowering the age, except for the very relatively small number of people who die before age 60. Which is so small from the accounting side, it probably doesn't even register.

For me, I got it as soon as I could, and the insurance company paid for it, because it's cheaper for them than to pay treatment for the 5/1,000 people that will get it.

Medicare doesn't cover it, so I wanted the "free" shots :cool:

True, the company doesn't make any extra money by lowering the age, except for the very relatively small number of people who die before age 60. Which is so small from the accounting side, it probably doesn't even register.

For me, I got it as soon as I could, and the insurance company paid for it, because it's cheaper for them than to pay treatment for the 5/1,000 people that will get it.

Medicare doesn't cover it, so I wanted the "free" shots :cool:

Where do you get that 5/1000 people get Shingles? I have always read that about 30% of people get Shingles. Most people do not die but I was in so much pain with it at age 50 there was a time there I wanted to die.

I got my Moderna booster yesterday but I had to drive a good distance because most of the drug stores within 20 miles only have Pfizer. I got mine at CVS. I think some places are waiting for the half dose vials but this pharmacy is just splitting the conventional dose apparently. This morning we did our usual 5.6 mile walk but this afternoon, I'm dragging a bit. My second shot back in February gave me chills and fever plus itchy foot rash two days later.

I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings. I was originally supposed to travel to Canada today but decided I wanted the extra protection from the booster among other things so postponed for two weeks.

Where do you get that 5/1000 people get Shingles? I have always read that about 30% of people get Shingles. Most people do not die but I was in so much pain with it at age 50 there was a time there I wanted to die.

I found this site but don't know its bone fides so YMMV

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566973

They suggest incidence is much lower than 30%.

For a 70 year old that data suggests a 10% chance of having a case of shingles by the time they reach 80. Of course the risk starts in your 50s and with many folks living into their 80s when the risk gets even higher, you could do a calculation for the post 50s risk for a person who doesn't die prematurely. That said, I doubt that the age 50 to 90 risk is 30% but it might be over 20%. That's quite a risk to take IMHO.

For a 70 year old that data suggests a 10% chance of having a case of shingles by the time they reach 80. Of course the risk starts in your 50s and with many folks living into their 80s when the risk gets even higher, you could do a calculation for the post 50s risk for a person who doesn't die prematurely. That said, I doubt that the age 50 to 90 risk is 30% but it might be over 20%. That's quite a risk to take IMHO.

I only know a few folks who have had shingles so 30% sounds high to me. BUT one shingles sufferer was DW. I consider that 100% so I (we) got the shots (both the early version and the later Shingrix) as soon as they were available. YMMV

Just got my Pfizer booster today at Walmart. No appointment, just walk in.
Had to fudge the info a bit to receive it being under 65 y.o.

DW and I have appointments to get the Moderna booster later today. We both got Moderna 8 months ago and meet all the qualifications - so no fudging required. :)

Got my moderna booster at Safeway yesterday. Eight months to the day from my last shot. Easy online appointment. In and out in about ten minutes.

I checked online and Walgreens here in AZ has Moderna booster appointments available this week. I'm considering going in for mine, but I'm only 7 months from 2nd dose now. I may wait a month until my 8 months is up. Pondering on it now. :confused:

On the Shingrix vaccine, my understanding is that it is not a "one course and done". The immunity lasts about 5 years, similar to a tetanus shot. I had my Shingrix doses almost 2 years ago and have another course on the calendar for 2025.

I got my Moderna booster yesterday but I had to drive a good distance because most of the drug stores within 20 miles only have Pfizer. I got mine at CVS. I think some places are waiting for the half dose vials but this pharmacy is just splitting the conventional dose apparently. This morning we did our usual 5.6 mile walk but this afternoon, I'm dragging a bit. My second shot back in February gave me chills and fever plus itchy foot rash two days later.

I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings. I was originally supposed to travel to Canada today but decided I wanted the extra protection from the booster among other things so postponed for two weeks.

I got my Moderna half dose Friday. For the first 2 doses I did not have any side effects other than a sore arm. For this 3rd dose I have had some unusual side effects. Yesterday morning when I woke up my hands hurts so bad I could not make a fist, but it went away in a couple of hours. Then last night I woke up and I was sweating so much I had to change my night shirt. Today I fee fine. I am glad I had a few side effects--maybe that means the booster was working.

That article uses data from 2001. Since then the incidence of unvaccinated people with Shingles has grown significantly. In any event, even if the incidence is only 10% I would strongly suggest that all those eligible get the Shingrix vaccine. It is highly effective and Shingles is an awful disease. MY DH and I both had awful cases of Shingles (I developed pain that has lasted for 20 years and DH had Singles in his eye).

Last edited:
On the Shingrix vaccine, my understanding is that it is not a "one course and done". The immunity lasts about 5 years, similar to a tetanus shot. I had my Shingrix doses almost 2 years ago and have another course on the calendar for 2025.

With a new vaccine it is impossible to tell how long it will be protective at the time of approval. It works at least 4=5 years. Right now, no late booster is recommended after the 2 shot series but that could change. Maybe there will be positive news in 2025.

Back
Top Bottom