FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

When I made my appointment online, there was some wording like “by making this reservation you acknowledge you are eligible to receive the vaccine”. No further questions were asked either online or at the appointment.

We have ample supply of vaccine in this country. I see no reason to wait for the booster if you feel it will benefit you. You are not taking supply away from anyone else who wants it, so what’s the purpose of waiting. In California I’ve seen articles about large quantities of vaccines being disposed of because they expired before anybody wanted them.

DH and I got our Moderna boosters at CVS today and got our flu vaccine at the same time. Booster in one arm and flu vaccine in the other. As of now (about 3 hours post injection) my flu arm is starting to get more sore than the booster arm.

I did have some hesitancy doing it. I am having cataract surgery on my second eye on Thursday of this week. It is out of town so will be traveling on Wednesday. DH didn't have any problem with the regular Covid vaccine so doesn't think side effects are likely to bother him. And, I don't really expect any either (I had arm soreness and some fatigue). I think the chances this will impede my surgery is very low. (Hope I'm correct).

DH and I got our Moderna boosters at CVS today and got our flu vaccine at the same time. Booster in one arm and flu vaccine in the other. As of now (about 3 hours post injection) my flu arm is starting to get more sore than the booster arm.

I did have some hesitancy doing it. I am having cataract surgery on my second eye on Thursday of this week. It is out of town so will be traveling on Wednesday. DH didn't have any problem with the regular Covid vaccine so doesn't think side effects are likely to bother him. And, I don't really expect any either (I had arm soreness and some fatigue). I think the chances this will impede my surgery is very low. (Hope I'm correct).

So DH did get a low battery alert from his pacemaker. The pacemaker clinic called to say he will be put on the schedule they were adamant he should get no booster 2 weeks before or within 2 weeks after the swap out

When I made my appointment online, there was some wording like “by making this reservation you acknowledge you are eligible to receive the vaccine”. No further questions were asked either online or at the appointment.

We have ample supply of vaccine in this country. I see no reason to wait for the booster if you feel it will benefit you. You are not taking supply away from anyone else who wants it, so what’s the purpose of waiting. In California I’ve seen articles about large quantities of vaccines being disposed of because they expired before anybody wanted them.

I am waiting to get the most bang for my poke. No need to rush it if a person is statistically well covered by the two vaccines they have already had.

DH and I got our Moderna boosters at CVS today and got our flu vaccine at the same time. Booster in one arm and flu vaccine in the other.

Same story here. No/minimal side effects for either of us so far. We were at the 7.5 month point since our second jab in early March.

Where do you get that 5/1000 people get Shingles? I have always read that about 30% of people get Shingles. Most people do not die but I was in so much pain with it at age 50 there was a time there I wanted to die.

the 5/1000 people is the people in the 50-59 age group that previously were too young and are now eligible for a shot.

I eyeballed the number, but 5/1,000 seemed accurate enough.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/shingles-virus-rash-chicken-pox-complications

DH and I both got Pfizer boosters this morning. Our previous shot was J&J in March, so we had our choice on type of booster. Our doctor recommended Pfizer for us. We’ve been tired today and a little achy, but nothing too concerning. The J&J hit me hard on day 2 with chills and a slight fever so we will see how we feel tomorrow.

My brother who is also under 65 goes for his Moderna booster this coming Sunday.
I only had a slight sore arm from all 3 of my shots, while my brother has had no reactions or any sort of pain to date from his 2 shots.

DH and I both got Pfizer boosters this morning. Our previous shot was J&J in March, so we had our choice on type of booster. Our doctor recommended Pfizer for us. We’ve been tired today and a little achy, but nothing too concerning. The J&J hit me hard on day 2 with chills and a slight fever so we will see how we feel tomorrow.

I went back to CVS today for my Pfizer booster. The jab was the least pleasant—and not bad at all—and I was a little tired yesterday with a tender spot on my arm today. I don’t have the headache and nausea I experienced the first 2 times.

Got my Moderna booster a couple of days ago. The side effects were nothing compared to after my second dose - mainly just a little achy.

I got it at Walmart. The girl giving me the shot said anybody could get it. I also noticed that this time around the Pharmacist wasn't required to give the shot like my first two shots. Much easier to get these days. No appointment was needed. Just walked right in and asked if I could get a booster.

Earlier this week I was sat in one of my regular small coffee shops. I was next to a lady on her own who was next to a couple who were next to another man on his own. A whole gaggle of us oldies chatting away. The married guy said he wasn’t going to get the booster because after his last AZ vaccine he couldn’t stay awake for about 3 months and said that he thought he had necrophilia. He and his wife continued chatting to the other man and the lady next to me whispered that she had never heard of that so I explained that it meant he liked having sex with dead people but that is not what he meant. He heard me and said “did I really say necrophilia? I meant to say narcolepsy!”.

Getting old does provide for weird conversations at times :)

I got my Moderna booster at Kroger this morning. They were very thorough about qualifying me, both when I made the appointment and when I showed up for it. They are obviously following the rules carefully, which is probably a good thing.

So DH did get a low battery alert from his pacemaker. The pacemaker clinic called to say he will be put on the schedule they were adamant he should get no booster 2 weeks before or within 2 weeks after the swap out

I was given a steroid for some knee problems, I was told either take the steroid now and when it's finished get the jab, or get the jab and wait two weeks. I choose the the jab now, so I'll be prepped for Thanksgiving. I'll hobble around on my weary knees for another two weeks.

I was given a steroid for some knee problems, I was told either take the steroid now and when it's finished get the jab, or get the jab and wait two weeks. I choose the the jab now, so I'll be prepped for Thanksgiving. I'll hobble around on my weary knees for another two weeks.

This makes sense because steroids can mess with your immune system response. Not sure of the rationale for the pacer swap out. I'm hoping the cardio gal will call soon so we have a date and clarify the vaccine issues for DH. I'll get my booster next week.

I got my Pfizer booster and my flu shot yesterday at the pharmacy attached to the primary care clinic I go to. It was just walk in, no appointment necessary.

DW went to get her Moderna booster under the 50-64 year old with underlying medical conditions criterion but was given the 100 microgram "third dose" instead of the 50 mcg "booster." No ill effects. Did deplete the nations supply of vaccine by 50 mcg more than necessary.

Also had the J&J in March and a Pfizer booster at Walgreens yesterday. They did ask me for my proof of J&J vaccination. Aside from minor discomfort at the injection site I've had no side effects at all.

I got a Moderna booster yesterday at Walmart. They had plenty of open appointments online but also had quite a few people taking jabs. Everyone I saw looked to be there for a booster, no younger people maybe getting the original course. They had people stay at the pharmacy for 15 minutes post jab and I saw maybe a dozen people go in, all looking 60 or over.

The qualification was lax. A signature on a tablet saying you meet the CDC guideline. I had to rationalize a bit to say yes, but I do volunteer at my mom's CCRC and I also have to fly for my hobby job a few times a year. So yeah dammit, I qualify :cool:

I have a really sore lump on my shoulder and feel out of sorts a bit today. No where near as bad as the first night after my second dose though.

DW went to get her Moderna booster under the 50-64 year old with underlying medical conditions criterion but was given the 100 microgram "third dose" instead of the 50 mcg "booster." No ill effects. Did deplete the nations supply of vaccine by 50 mcg more than necessary.

The “ boosters “ are supposed to be 50. The “extra shot” for those immunocompromised etc., that your wife got is supposed to be 100. [emoji846]

Earlier this week I was sat in one of my regular small coffee shops. I was next to a lady on her own who was next to a couple who were next to another man on his own. A whole gaggle of us oldies chatting away. The married guy said he wasn’t going to get the booster because after his last AZ vaccine he couldn’t stay awake for about 3 months and said that he thought he had necrophilia. He and his wife continued chatting to the other man and the lady next to me whispered that she had never heard of that so I explained that it meant he liked having sex with dead people but that is not what he meant. He heard me and said “did I really say necrophilia? I meant to say narcolepsy!”.

Getting old does provide for weird conversations at times :)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So I'm currently wondering if the Moderna "supplemental" booster I got a couple months ago means I shouldn't get the J&J booster now, if I should, if I should try to get a second shot of Moderna instead, etc. :p I wish there was clearer guidance for the various cases. I tried to book a J&J and couldn't find an appointment, lots of places happy to sign me up for a shot of Pfizer though...

At least I'm feeling pretty happy with my adenovirus vaccine + mRNA vaccine combo so far.

had my pfizer booster 3 weeks ago and felt crappy for about 36 hours?

the 5/1000 people is the people in the 50-59 age group that previously were too young and are now eligible for a shot.

I eyeballed the number, but 5/1,000 seemed accurate enough.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/shingles-virus-rash-chicken-pox-complications

Stripping away the person years incomprehensible mumbo jumbo applicable to people who live in Olmsted County, Minnesota (https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566973)...

About 1 out of every 3 people in the United States will develop shingles, also known as herpes zoster, in their lifetime. An estimated 1 million people get shingles each year in this country. If you’ve ever had chickenpox, you can get shingles. Even children can get shingles. Your risk of shingles increases as you get older.

Source:
https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/index.html

Last edited:
So I'm currently wondering if the Moderna "supplemental" booster I got a couple months ago means I shouldn't get the J&J booster now, if I should, if I should try to get a second shot of Moderna instead, etc. :p I wish there was clearer guidance for the various cases. I tried to book a J&J and couldn't find an appointment, lots of places happy to sign me up for a shot of Pfizer though...

At least I'm feeling pretty happy with my adenovirus vaccine + mRNA vaccine combo so far.

So, just to confirm, so far you’ve had just one shot of Moderna?

Back
Top Bottom