Fidelity free Turbotax offer

Send him an email or phone him..

If he thinks so little of you, how much effort does he put into his advice ?

He doesn't really throw out much advice. He knows better than to try and sell me anything. This last meeting was my idea and we just went over the Retirement Planner and made sure we were good to go with full retirement since DW retired earlier in the year.

As mentioned earlier, I buy Turbotax the day it comes out on Amazon. Yeah, I probably pay $20 bucks too much, but I play with it throughout Nov/Dec planning my year end moves. So, getting free TurboTax isn't a big deal to me. On the other hand, NOT getting it makes me sad :(

I'm PCG but no luck with the $5 Turbotax. I called the wealth management support help number and they also looked for me but they did not find the offer either.

I logged into Fidelity to check my account tonight. All I saw on the Portfolio page was a 'measly' 20% off of a TurboTax download. I called Fido's After-hours Support line, and the gentleman put me on hold to look into it (or to get himself a fresh cup of coffee).

He came back on and said that "they sometimes review daily who gets the $5 download. It may appear at a later date." I might call my local "Team Manager" here in Charleston to see what he has to say.

The discount of 20% on which version ?? Deluxe ? Or Premier ?
What does that save us ?? 20% of $49 ??

Last year I called and was told that the free TT was offered to those with more than $1,000,000 invested. My account at the time was like $975,000. As a customer service, you'd think that they'd be willing to give the offer to those very close to the million dollar mark who are willing to take the time to call and ask. It is such a small gesture for them so I was a little put out about it.

This year, my accounts have grown significantly to be quite in excess of 1 million with Fido. Still haven't received any offer. I continue to be disappointed at FIDOs customer service decisions.

Last year I called and was told that the free TT was offered to those with more than $1,000,000 invested. My account at the time was like $975,000. As a customer service, you'd think that they'd be willing to give the offer to those very close to the million dollar mark who are willing to take the time to call and ask. It is such a small gesture for them so I was a little put out about it.

This year, my accounts have grown significantly to be quite in excess of 1 million with Fido. Still haven't received any offer. I continue to be disappointed at FIDOs customer service decisions.

Call them and ask again, if the answer is negative, ask what's involved in moving to another brokerage since they don't appreciate you !!

Let them sweat :LOL:

Data point: I called today and asked about the free TT. I have well over a million in assets with them, but the answer came back after some research is that the free TT is only offered to Fidelity customers who use Fidelity as a paid advisor. Otherwise, you just get the 20% discount.

Bummer.

Data point: I called today and asked about the free TT. I have well over a million in assets with them, but the answer came back after some research is that the free TT is only offered to Fidelity customers who use Fidelity as a paid advisor. Otherwise, you just get the 20% discount.

Bummer.

I don’t use a Fidelity paid advisor and never have, and sometime in the past year or so they removed the name of and link to a personal advisor I never asked for and never used. We nonetheless qualify for the Free TT.

I think they don’t have a single set criterion that is implemented equally across their customer base.

Bummer.

that is not true. i have been receiving the free offer for years and i have never had a paid advisor. i would call back and speak to someone else.

Bummer.

I don’t use a Fidelity paid advisor and never have, and sometime in the past year or so they removed the name of and link to a personal advisor I never asked for and never used. We nonetheless qualify for the Free TT.

I think they don’t have a single set criterion that is implemented equally across their customer base.

So they figured out which of the possible criteria that you didn’t have and gave you that one for an excuse. :LOL:

I’m not sure what the criteria is, but my guess is that it’s based on human input - e.g. Your advisor puts you on a list. They probably only have so many of them to hand out so they look at it from a sales/customer retention point of view.

Personally, I don’t have enough in Fido to even think they’d choose me. I’m okay with that because I want the software early and I couldn’t stand wondering if I was going to be selected every year.

I do enjoy the thread every year though. :LOL:

Last year I did not get the offer after several years of getting it. During the year, I noticed that I no longer saw the name of my rep on the webpage like I had before. Another rep from a different office contacted DW and we both went in to meet face to face. During the meet, I mentioned the TT deal and me not getting it. He told me that my account had been tagged as a DIY investor and they didn't offer it to DIY'ers. I was clear that I was a DIY'er. Somehow, something changed after that meet. Maybe Fido doesn't have me tagged anymore? His name is now showing up on my account. Funny, about a month ago, I saw that a different guy is on DW's account as her advisor. Go figure. This year, I got the offer, but had already purchased TT for this tax year.

So they figured out which of the possible criteria that you didn’t have and gave you that one for an excuse. :LOL:

I’m not sure what the criteria is, but my guess is that it’s based on human input - e.g. Your advisor puts you on a list. They probably only have so many of them to hand out so they look at it from a sales/customer retention point of view.

Personally, I don’t have enough in Fido to even think they’d choose me. I’m okay with that because I want the software early and I couldn’t stand wondering if I was going to be selected every year.

I do enjoy the thread every year though. :LOL:

Kind of an ego thing for some and a dryer sheet concept for a few others.

Last year I did not get the offer after several years of getting it. During the year, I noticed that I no longer saw the name of my rep on the webpage like I had before. Another rep from a different office contacted DW and we both went in to meet face to face. During the meet, I mentioned the TT deal and me not getting it. He told me that my account had been tagged as a DIY investor and they didn't offer it to DIY'ers. I was clear that I was a DIY'er. Somehow, something changed after that meet. Maybe Fido doesn't have me tagged anymore? His name is now showing up on my account. Funny, about a month ago, I saw that a different guy is on DW's account as her advisor. Go figure. This year, I got the offer, but had already purchased TT for this tax year.

I got it for the first time this year. This is after transferring a significant net amount, and being assigned an advisor.

I had a zoom meeting with the advisor and told him I am DYI. I was very clear. He was very nice and let me be -- hasn't contacted me since July except to invite me to a baseball game, on Fidelity. Bragging here... how many of you get the free AAA minor league baseball game, huh? :LOL:

So I'm clearly DYI. He doesn't nag me, and I got the free TT (and baseball).

... The mystery continues ...

BTW: didn't go to the game, I was busy. Plus I suspect some nagging/selling may have occurred. I also don't want to be public about this, possibly afraid I'd meet some people I know who also attend (it was a group invite).

Last edited:
I got a rock too! I think Fido is just pi$$ing off people with their cryptic methodology of the free TT offer.
For many weeks annually, the "cryptic methodology" sure does give Fidelity a lot of run from their many wealthy clients on forums like this.
That makes other wealthy potential clients aware of Fidelity's services, that many forum members are clients, and the potential to win the Fidelity Free TurboTax Lottery.
Cryptic methodology that cleverly works as free advertising, IMHO!

Bummer.

As others have said, this is not true.

I am an example.

I have had well over a million dollars in Fidelity for years. Only last 2 years have I got free TurboTax. It coincided with Fidelity assigning a new rep to me where I answered their phone call. I have no advisor paid services, everything is DIY with no load mutual funds.

I never replied or answers prior automatically assigned reps. Perhaps answering their call and listening was it? Then a manual process for advisor to confirm ?

I don’t know.

Yeah - it’s a few bucks and it’s nice to get it for free (well, $5). It’s a nice gesture, thats it.

Never spoke to or had a rep assigned. On the homepage it says "Active Trader VIP", but no rep name and I get the offer.

For many weeks annually, the "cryptic methodology" sure does give Fidelity a lot of run from their many wealthy clients on forums like this.
That makes other wealthy potential clients aware of Fidelity's services, that many forum members are clients, and the potential to win the Fidelity Free TurboTax Lottery.
Cryptic methodology that cleverly works as free advertising, IMHO!

Actually it peeves me off, and when it comes time to move a 401K in Fidelity, to an IRA, Fidelity will not be the default choice.

Back
Top Bottom