Fidelity RIP

I like the FIDO calculator and find it most helpful. The one thing I take issue with is there is no option to adjust for inflation. They assume I believe a 2.5% for all Spend except for medical which is higher. When I asked, the answer was that if inflation escalates, so do market returns. I would feel better having the ability to vary inflation to stress test my plans.

I like the FIDO calculator and find it most helpful. The one thing I take issue with is there is no option to adjust for inflation. They assume I believe a 2.5% for all Spend except for medical which is higher. When I asked, the answer was that if inflation escalates, so do market returns. I would feel better having the ability to vary inflation to stress test my plans.

Use Firecalc. You can put in any inflation rate you want.

Not retired yet, but close. In January of each year I look at:
1. The Fidelity tool with my best guess of spending/tax bracket
2. Firecalc
3. The first year's withdrawal assuming classic VPW
4. The first year's withdrawal with my own PMT calculator as well as historical backtesting
5. A calculation of the "Funded Ratio" as described on BH and elsewhere
6. Anything else I can get my hands on.

I also add SS, but give it a 25% haircut. I also stress test assuming an early 2000's or 2008 type of correction. At the end of the day, what matters to me most is #4 above with #5 a close second. The rest, for me, are informational only for "feel good" effect.

when I update my RIP within Fido I don't get the number (0 - 150), I just get amount left over (or when it runs out) based on a few stock market assumptions. Not sure how to run the version gives the one number result.

Do I need an account to access Fidelity RIP?
I couldn't find it on their web site.

when I update my RIP within Fido I don't get the number (0 - 150), I just get amount left over (or when it runs out) based on a few stock market assumptions. Not sure how to run the version gives the one number result.

As nwsteve alluded to, if you mark yourself as already retired, your result is the $ amount left over. If you are not already retired, you get the index.

There is only one verison. If you're already retired, it won't give you a score. Or, if like I did once, you entered the wrong date for when you plan on retiring and that date is in the past, it won't give you a score. :LOL:

There is only one verison. If you're already retired, it won't give you a score. Or, if like I did once, you entered the wrong date for when you plan on retiring and that date is in the past, it won't give you a score. :LOL:

+1
I simply enter my retirement age as +1 from my current age and not retired. Effectively using a retire all over again each year concept.

+1
I simply enter my retirement age as +1 from my current age and not retired. Effectively using a retire all over again each year concept.

Yup, that works and is exactly what I do. Basically it's helping to answer the question "Am I ready right about now?".

Do I need an account to access Fidelity RIP?
I couldn't find it on their web site.

I had heard that one did NOT need an account at Fidelity.
Any other thoughts out there?

Likely not that important to see "the number". I normally extend my life expectancy, leave out some assets, and using the lowest market expectation and check what kind of spending it will support. I see that as more relevant. :dance:

Is or are there calculators out there that TELL YOU (Not just 4% Rule) how much one can withdraw safely during retirement? As Opposed to how much does one expect one will need to withdraw. I would love one that is downloadable. Or has some kind RE member written one that they can share? Here is what I am looking for:

Variables:
Total Retirement Nest Egg - Say $1m
Total Expected Average Return: Say 5%
Total Expected Inflation: Say 2% (Also Increase Per Year)

Total Expected SS Payments at Retirement Age: Say $2,500pm
Retirement Age: Say 65
Life Expectancy: Say 30 years (95)

Calculations starting day 1 is fine. So no additions other than estimated return to Nest Egg.

Results ideally would say You can withdraw $xyz Pm or Annually in Year 1 - 30. With a chart showing Annual withdrawal totals and how much of Nest Egg is left after every given year.

Thanks

Shok - I'm not an expert on FircCalc, but can't FireCalc get you that estimate with the Investigate tab on the far right? Near the bottom "Given a success rate, determine spending level for a set portfolio, or portfolio for a set spending level"

The "Your Portfolio" tab you can set the growth rate and inflation rates.

The "Other Income/Spending" tab set your estimated Social Security.

The "Start Here" tab set your 1M and 30 years.

I guess it doesn't show annual information in a spreadsheet, but it gives a spending level.

Is or are there calculators out there that TELL YOU (Not just 4% Rule) how much one can withdraw safely during retirement? As Opposed to how much does one expect one will need to withdraw. I would love one that is downloadable. Or has some kind RE member written one that they can share? Here is what I am looking for:

Variables:

Calculations starting day 1 is fine. So no additions other than estimated return to Nest Egg.

Results ideally would say You can withdraw $xyz Pm or Annually in Year 1 - 30. With a chart showing Annual withdrawal totals and how much of Nest Egg is left after every given year.

Thanks

Last edited:
I did try it, but I have not really had that much success, I find FireCalc a little too complex. This is fine I am sure for the average portfolio, but I do not get consistent results with it. Again, I am not an expert either.

Variables:

Thanks

Using the Fidelity Retirement Planner, you'll need to enter your assets, your age when you retire and yous SS check and any pension check. Your Fidelity account balances (brokerage, IRA, Roth IRA, 401K, Roth 401K, RSU, Stock Options, etc) will automatically be populated and you can enter all balances from other sources. You'll get a detailed (40 page) report with up to 3 scenarios: significantly below average market (90% success), below average market (75% success) and average market (50% success), along with your expenses, income and withdrawals by year.

I haven't seen my 'score' from the Retirement Planner for awhile, however when updating my balances, there is a page listing my desired expenses and a status page detailing if I'm on track and if I can spend more based on the 3 market scenarios.

Shok - Another tool that I've played with is Flexible Retirement Planner. There is a free eval option. You have to download and install on your computer.

There is a Summary view and Detailed view. On the Summary, you can enter your parameters and get results. The Detailed View will give you the annual information that is more aligned with what you asked.

https://www.flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/download/

I did try it, but I have not really had that much success, I find FireCalc a little too complex. This is fine I am sure for the average portfolio, but I do not get consistent results with it. Again, I am not an expert either.

This is the only one I can really find that does it. However it seems very optimistic. What do others think?

https://www.money-zine.com/calculators/retirement-calculators/retirement-withdrawal-calculator/

I think the calculator is overly optimistic and also too simplistic. You can't add changes in income/expenses along the way. Pensions can't be added in a lump sum way,etc.

It seems you wish for a calculator to spit out what you can spend without you inputting your expenses first. Most of the calculators don't work that way.

Why not try the I-ORP calculator? It will provide your maximum spending per year, in which you will run out of money at the end of retirement. It will not provide a reasonable or a minimum SWR type amount.

Variables:

Thanks
Fido’s will. You just need to look at your results in the table format. It shows as a percent then.

Fido’s will. You just need to look at your results in the table format. It shows as a percent then.

It does not for me. Or at least the one I can find. I am not a Fido Member. It wants to know how much one intends to spend in retirement. I want one that tells me how much I can spend.

Variables:

Thanks
Shok, do you mean you want to model investment return as a fixed percentage so you apply the same every year?

It does not for me. Or at least the one I can find. I am not a Fido Member. It wants to know how much one intends to spend in retirement. I want one that tells me how much I can spend.

Well that’s just creating a few inputs and seeing the results. You just work backwards.

Back
Top Bottom