FIDO credit card - recent experience?

<snip>
It is a pain because all my utilities are on auto pay to get the 2%.

Have you considered a Capital One card tied into their ENO system which generates a unique CC number for each account? The downside is that the card only pays 1.5%, so in effect you pay a small fee for not having to change all your autopay CC numbers. OTOH, I once missed a payment when I overlooked changing the CC number on one account and got hit with a $30 penalty. That would cover a lot of 2% payments.

My Fido card got hacked the day I left for vacation. Fido caught it, but not before someone charged $2500 to a money wiring service. Fido said it might take a while to have the charge removed, which means I may have to pay the charge, then get refunded. It is a pain because all my utilities are on auto pay to get the 2%.

That doesn't sound good. Any time a credit card of mine has been hacked, once I filed a dispute with the CC company they specifically said I didn't have to pay the charges until a determination is made. They even sent paper work detailing the dispute and saying the same. All fraudulent charges have always been resolved in my favor.

If I was you I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

My Fido card got hacked the day I left for vacation. Fido caught it, but not before someone charged $2500 to a money wiring service. Fido said it might take a while to have the charge removed, which means I may have to pay the charge, then get refunded. It is a pain because all my utilities are on auto pay to get the 2%.

That doesn't sound good. Any time a credit card of mine has been hacked, once I filed a dispute with the CC company they specifically said I didn't have to pay the charges until a determination is made. They even sent paper work detailing the dispute and saying the same. All fraudulent charges have always been resolved in my favor.

+1

FTC regulations regarding credit card disputes https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges
To take advantage of the law's consumer protections, you must:

write to the creditor at the address given for "billing inquiries," not the address for sending your payments, and include your name, address, account number, and a description of the billing error. Use our sample letter.
send your letter so that it reaches the creditor within 60 days after the first bill with the error was mailed to you. It’s a good idea to send your letter by certified mail; ask for a return receipt so you have proof of what the creditor received. Include copies (not originals) of sales slips or other documents that support your position. Keep a copy of your dispute letter.
The creditor must acknowledge your complaint, in writing, within 30 days after receiving it, unless the problem has been resolved. The creditor must resolve the dispute within two billing cycles (but not more than 90 days) after getting your letter.

I’m still on vacation and the paperwork is to be mailed to my house. At this point, I don’t think Fido doubts the charge is fraudulent, but I evidently need to sign something to that effect.

I’ve had a few fraudulent charges on my Fidelity credit card but never had to pay anything. How could this be different?

I never had to sign anything either. They did send me a letter.

I’ve had a few fraudulent charges on my Fidelity credit card but never had to pay anything. How could this be different?

I never had to sign anything either. They did send me a letter.

Dunno. Like I said, it happened just as we started our vacation- I got a call on my cell phone informing me of the suspected fraud and I identified the legit charges, then they cancelled the card. When I get back later this week I’ll figure out the details. I’m not concerned at this point.

If the Fido card is a credit card, contest the charge in writing. They should not charge you the $2500 nor interest on it.
Plus they should give you a new card number.

I just went though this with Capital one, now I consider them Crapital One. I cancelled that card after it was all resolved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom