Fingertip oxy. / pulse meter

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any recomended brands. Looked on amazon, dozens of choices. Are more $ ones better ?

I bought a AccuMed CMS50D1 from another members recommendation. I don't see that model anymore. Might be a CMS50DL that's currently sold.

We use a FaceLake CMS50DL. The price on both Amazon and eBay is up from where it used to be.

What phone do you have? My Samsung S7 makes this measurement. I'm sure others do too.
My Samsung S8 used to have this feature. It appears to have been removed from Samsung Health in a prior update. Does it still work on your S7?

I have several . My favorite is an innova .I also have SM-110. I bought both on Amazon for around $20.00.

DH has a SantaMedical.com SM-110 that he used when he was training to climb Mt Whitney. He dug it out a few days ago and it still works.

It's good to know which way is up, though. When he first put it on he held his hand up so I could read it and just about had a heart attack when I said "66, is that normal?" :D

I bought a AccuMed CMS50D1 from another members recommendation. I don't see that model anymore. Might be a CMS50DL that's currently sold.

That's the one I have, bought about 4 years ago and it's still good.

I've seen so many different models used in doctors' offices and hospitals that I don't think it makes much difference at all what brand/model you get. They're pretty simple devices.

My Samsung S8 used to have this feature. It appears to have been removed from Samsung Health in a prior update. Does it still work on your S7?

I just measured pulse and oxygen on my S8 using the Samsung Health app (v. 6.9.0.055). I don't know how accurate it is, but the feature is still there.

MRG,

Yes it still works on my S7 through Samsung Health. I use it almost every day.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has a pulse meter, but doesn't do pulse oximetry. I bought a couple of Zacurate pulse oximeters with my FSA funds before everything blew up, and the 430DL/500E with the OLED screen is nice. I only paid $24.95, if you can find one and want to know a comparable price. The LED version (500BL) should be about $18-20.

On my S7 (non-Edge) oxygen percent is part of the stress measurement. The stress measurement measures heartbeat and O2 at the same time.

On my S7 (non-Edge) oxygen percent is part of the stress measurement. The stress measurement measures heartbeat and O2 at the same time.
Oh! Thanks, I never added that to my S-Health home screen...or I removed it, because "stress" seemed like a bogus thing to measure with your phone. I still don't see why measuring pulse rate and pulse ox equals "stress", but thanks, I'll compare my phone's measurements to my Zacurate pulse oximeters! So far, they're both pretty much the same for pulse rate.

There are a lot of conflicting assessments about using cellphones for pulse oximetry. This article from a few days ago says NO. But this article in Pubmed from last year indicates otherwise. The app I looked at says it is for sports purposes only which, I would guess, means it hasn't been FDA approved for medical use but doesn't really answer the question of whether it is a helpful indicator.

Last edited:
There are a lot of conflicting assessments about using cellphones for pulse oximetry. This article from a few days ago says NO. But this article in Pubmed from last year indicates otherwise. The app I looked at says it is for sports purposes only which, I would guess, means it hasn't been FDA approved for medical use but doesn't really answer the question of whether it is a helpful indicator.
I just did a quick test, doing 5 stress measurements, and my phone's measurements were within one point of the Zacurate pulse oximeter each time. I've been doing this with my pulse rate, too, since I had been using my phone for that in the past, so I'll try it under a few different conditions, like after exercising, but my spO2 doesn't usually vary by more than 4 or 5 points at most.

If the O2 reading drops below 93, time to head to the hospital.

MRG,

Yes it still works on my S7 through Samsung Health. I use it almost every day.
Who knew. They hid it under "stress" I didn't have stress, only O2 issues living at 7750'.

If the O2 reading drops below 93, time to head to the hospital.
Not quite. According to the Mayo Clinic, values under 90 are considered low. You should see a doctor mostly based on your symptoms, such as shortness of breath, but right now many hospital systems are above peak capacity, so if you are concerned about your spO2 but feel fine, please try to talk to a doctor or nurse on the phone first. Even before COVID-19, many health insurance providers offered "ask a nurse" services, and many doctors and health systems are now offering telemedicine.

So does anyone know if the Samsung phones have unique hardware to allow this?
I have a cheap ZTE android phone, and would also be interested in this capability.

I have a pulse oximeter on order that I have been anxiously awaiting for (to measure DM with dementia).

I wonder what people actually can do with info from these fingertip oxymeters...do they have rescue inhalers, nebulizers, & oxygen concentrators at home already?

So does anyone know if the Samsung phones have unique hardware to allow this?
I have a cheap ZTE android phone, and would also be interested in this capability.

I have a pulse oximeter on order that I have been anxiously awaiting for (to measure DM with dementia).

Hard to say. As far as I know, there has to be a light source for the reading (at least the finger type device). So probably depends on the flashlight on your phone.

Also, for the ladies (and maybe some guys?) if you have acrylic nails, you probably won't get an accurate reading.

I wonder what people actually can do with info from these fingertip oxymeters...do they have rescue inhalers, nebulizers, & oxygen concentrators at home already?

They are cheap and can help with situational awareness. Short of breath? Nothing wrong with checking your O2 level. But you bring up a good point. By the time your O2 sat is below 90%, you will probably be having other symptoms as well. I took one into the altitude chamber once (a device used to train air crew on the effects of low oxygen levels aka hypoxia) to see how the reduced 02 levels affected me...it was interesting to see the numbers as they correlated with symptoms.

Last edited:
We got ours so we would know the difference between sick and miserable, and needing prompt medical attention, like ExFlyBoy5 said. A pulse ox is probably the second most useful reading I can think of for respiratory diseases, with the first being listening to lung sounds with a quality stethoscope.

My wife had Afib and COPD, so it is important to monitor her O2 levels. I use it as sort of a check about COVID. As long as my O2 levels are high, I think I am OK.
We also have a blood pressure cuff and a small cardiac monitor.

Back
Top Bottom