FIRE or Retire as an Expat

Why do people FIRE or Retire as an Expat

• To become FI (can't afford to retire at home)

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Culteral emersion and adventure

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Can dramatically increase lifestyle (money goes farther)

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Climate

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Spouse or other family ties

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Other (describe in comments)

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
Wow, that's brutal and to the point! Don't suppose you'd be interested in a public relations job with the Texas Chamber of Commerce?

I think it would be fair to say that when it comes to soft and mushy I kind of missed out on being given those qualities. I've never been one to understand or tolerate all this politically-correct BS which prevents people from saying how it is.

Last edited:
I read and answered the question just as it was stated, and along with Chinaco’s introduction: What do you believe is the major reason people FIRE or retire and become an expat.

I selected Can dramatically increase lifestyle (money goes farther)
And Climate in that order, because, in my experience, these are the reasons that are given to me over and over by Expats. They are able to get more for their money, and when one lives in the northern climes of Canada or the US, climate plays a big part in their decision making. Many do not want to grow old in frozen climates, battling snow and ice. They want to have the freedom to walk around during winter months unencumbered by mountains of clothing, and without the fear of falling on the ice. They no longer want to rake leaves or shovel snow.

Although I do hear about ‘how nice these people are’ in many of the countries we live, generally, it is not on the top of anyone’s list. It usually comes later on in the conversation. That being said - in respect to immersing into the culture or not - many expats aggressively bring their home culture to their new location.

For myself, I would put Cultural emersion and adventure at the top of the list with the other reasons following.

Doing the most simple things like shopping for food or taking a walk can become a small adventure. Learning a new language can be a challenge and sharing one’s skills or viewpoint can change personal worlds. This is most rewarding. The give and take between cultures adds such flavor and changes our perceptions. The flexibility it requires keeps us alive and young.

Florida:
Question for Thailand travelers
What airline and route did you use to travel to Bangkok? Purchasing a one way or round trip ticket? Approximate costs?

We use EVA airlines PHX-LAX to Taipei to BKK then Thai airways to Chiang Mai. We have always purchased RT tickets, with a year’s available return date. When we first started going to Thailand in 1999, it cost us around $800 USD+ pp, now it’s more like $1,200USD per person.

We fly Deluxe Coach which is very close to business class style.

Our agent is a ticket consolidator and gets good value on tickets that haven’t yet sold on flights. If anyone wants her number, just email us directly at our email address TheGuide@RetireEarlyLifestyle.com.

Kcowan, we’re in Chapala now… how long will you be staying in PV?
Akaisha

Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

I'm sure many on this site are familiar with the TerHorsts and their lifestyle (which has included time in Thailand, which seems to be an area of interest in some of the posts.)

In the unlikely event you're not familiar with them and are interested in the ex-pat/perpetual traveler lifestyle, this site is a "must read":

Paul Terhorst Home Page

Duh, I'm not sure what I've voted for, but I am FIRE and have a itch to retire overseas, but instead "scratch" it by just traveling there (Latin America) frequently. There are other nice things you can do in ER, for example be a 46-yo man (me) studying Spanish at the university, surrounded by young ladies (love those liberal arts classes), and in one class I am allowed to do the term paper on the retirement opportunities in Panama or other nearby country :)

What airline and route did you use to travel to Bangkok?

I fly EVA Air across the Pacific. Seat comfort is a huge factor for me when traveling long distances. EVA has a 4th class on their jumbos, positioned between economy and business. The details vary by type of plane, but typically the seat is 3" wider and 8" farther apart then in coach.

All their trans pacific flights go through Taipei, so there is a several hour layover. I consider this a plus. I stow my carry-on in a locker and go for an hour walk. I usually exercise first thing in the morning at home, I think the walk helps reset the biological clock.

I fly EVA Air across the Pacific. Seat comfort is a huge factor for me when traveling long distances. EVA has a 4th class on their jumbos, positioned between economy and business.

I've flown EVA Air Deluxe Economy before and it is quite spacious and nice. If their price is competitive when you are flying, I recommend them. Of course, business class on Singapore Air is my usual, and (aside from first class) that can't be beat!

Back
Top Bottom