Fire Pit questions

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just got, as a gift, a small portable fire pit. Recommendations for product for the fire? Duraflame or something else??
How do I put out the fire if it's still going and we want to go back inside? Wouldn't water potentially spray the fire or cause dangerous steam "cloud"? Would water damage the metal itself?

Last edited:
I just got, as a gift, a small portable fire pit. Recommendations for product for the fire? Duraflame or something else??
How do I out out the fire if it's still going and we want to go back inside? Wouldn't water potentially spray the fire or cause dangerous steam "cloud"? Would water damage the metal itself?
You'll get a burst of steam when you quench the fire. If the log is burning deep, you may need to keep puring water. It's much simpler to only start a smaller fire if you'll be out for a short period.

Water left in the bottom will definitely promote rust. Most of the pits last a few years and have to be replaced.

I burned real wood in mine.
Haven't used it in a few years, but put it out of the rain, otherwise it would have rusted out.
Often you can get free wood, from someone cutting down a tree, might need an axe to chop it up.
Using scrap pieces of 2x4 makes excellent kindling or a small quick fire.
Never burn pressure treated wood, the smoke will contain poison, and the ash will as well.

I have not used one but come across video reviews in my camping/traveling interests.
It is not recommended to use water to quench the fire - mainly a warping of the metal issue. here is one reviewing the popular Solo Stove -

DW bought us one like this: It uses propane tanks and I bought refillable ones. The thing I like is that it does not take up much space and I can use it on our porch, which is wood.

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 156
I have a metal fire pit. The kids will use it when they come up. It is big enough to use regular split fire wood logs. I have a screen that goes over it to contain the embers. I spray it with the hose when we are done. The next day or two I empty it in the ash pile to keep the rust down. Putting a nice in-ground fire pit is on the to do list.

The Gov'nr banned fires across the state so no fires for us for a while.

Helps to put a bit of sand in bottom, although that traps water. I burn real wood lit with newspaper, dryer lint, etc. I try to let it burn out and end of use to reduce ash. Store out of elements if possible.

I graduated to a Solo stove. They are amazing! Designed for better airflow. No sand in bottom. Lite very easy, burns fast with yellow/orange mesmerizing flame and little smoke. If you let it go, will burn nearly all ash.

How do I put out the fire if it's still going and we want to go back inside? Wouldn't water potentially spray the fire or cause dangerous steam "cloud"? Would water damage the metal itself?

I assume that you are referring to an outdoor fire pit for outdoor campfires.

We have a couple... both metal. One was bought and the other is my "redneck" firepit which is an old washer drum welded to the top of a steel car rim... if you want the luxury version you can weld rebar handles to the top of the laundry drum.... but I digress.

Since we have a woodstove we always have wood around, but we use scrap wood, brush etc in the firepit. You can also use pallet wood.

I put the some kindling wood in the firepit and then drizzle about 1/2 cup of mineral spirits on the dry kindling... it lights easily but is much less explosive than gasoline or lighter fluid.

I just let mine burn out... I wouldn't douse it with water.

Last edited:
Mine is stone and uses natural gas. Piece of cake to operate and just needs a little vacuuming once in a while to clean out any debris.

You can use Duraflame logs but saw them in half or thirds, think a whole log is supposed to burn for 3 hours. Use smaller logs/branches and add more as you sit out so you don't have a large log to let burn down. It's usually not recommended to pour water in a metal fire pit. Someone else mentioned, it can cause warping of the metal. You don't want a roaring fire in a portable fire pit. You will get use to how much wood to use for an hour or two. Use paper, bark, leaves for a fire starter no flammable liquids.

After our first one rusted out, I drilled holes in the replacement, and lined the bottom with cement board to protect the metal from the heat. This was the 'crumbly', lightweight cement board. not the flat, hard as glass stuff - that will explode if it has moisture and the moisture turns to steam (don't ask how I know!).

You could use stones/gravel/sand, but make sure they aren't the kind that will explode in heat (I'll leave that research up to you). Can you still buy that mica insulation stuff I remember my uncles using in their BBQ for this? IIRC, it was also used as attic insulation, (mineral wool?). Ahh, searching I found it is "Vermiculite" , the same stuff used for potting soils. Though for some years, it was mined where asbestos was in the soil, so there are some asbestos concerns.

Perlite and/or Vermiculite for Use in Backyard Charcoal Grills---SCHUNDLER PRODUCT GUIDE

-ERD50

We're on our third fire pit now. The first one was just a basic bowl. It didn't have any drain holes and would fill up with water. I drilled holes to help with drainage, but it eventually rusted out anyway.

The second one was better quality, but sitting out in the weather on the patio it rusted through in a few years also.

The third one is the exact same model as the second, but I started pulling it out of the weather in the fall. I haven't had it long enough to know whether it will make any difference in the longevity. I just assume I'll need a new fire pit every 2-3 years.

Like PB4USKI, we have a woodstove in our house so we always have a supply of firewood. I also enjoy woodworking, so there's a never ending supply of cutoffs from that hobby. Most stores in our area (especially smaller general stores or hardware stores) carry small bundles of real firewood. It's expensive if you burn a lot, but just for an occasional fire it might be OK.

I started using "Fatwood" years ago to light fires in our woodstove and it works great in the firepit too. Just grab a couple sticks of Fatwood, light it with a match, add small kindling and work my way up to larger sticks and logs. I can have a four foot flame in about 10 minutes. :)

I always extinguish our fire with the garden hose at the end of the night. I start with a light spray and haven't noticed any metal warping on any of our firepits. I'm sure the moisture helps accelerate the rust, but I would rather destroy the firepit than accidentally start a forest fire.

Check your local burning status before building a fire. Around here we have an automatic four month burn ban every summer. Firepits are usually still allowed unless conditions are really dry. I usually won't burn if it's too dry, even if legally I can. I always check the requirements online before burning.

Don't have one but a lot of people do where I live. They use split wood that they would use in their fire place in the winter.

I always extinguish our fire with the garden hose at the end of the night. I start with a light spray and haven't noticed any metal warping on any of our firepits. I'm sure the moisture helps accelerate the rust, but I would rather destroy the firepit than accidentally start a forest fire.
In addition to the moisture, carbon steel starts to rust from high temperature oxidation around 1,000+ Deg F due atmospheric oxygen, which is why some vendors recommend lining the bottom of the pit with insulating sand, etc.

Back
Top Bottom