Fire scare....

Donzo

Full time employment: Posting here.
Woke up this morning to high winds - 25mph with 50mph gusts offshore/west blowing. This is unusual for up here(Sierra foohills).
Heard some sirens and a helicopter - went outside and there was a huge plume of dark smoke blowing over the ridge that is close to our home - after calling the neighbors to make sure they knew - the whole family scrambled to get all the pics/family video and other things that can not be replaced. We put the camper on the truck, got out the critter carriers and watched. At one point there was so much smoke that it was like dusk dark. The helicopters kept going back and forth with water and the smoke started getting whiter and less dense(wind also died down) - The news said the fire has been halted and seems to be under control.
A helicopter is flying over my house right now...I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE TAX DOLLARS BEING SPENT ON THIS ENDEAVOR(I'll remember this next time I write the tax check)!!
I am worried about this year and wild fires.....this is an early start.
I think cocktail hour will be early today -

Ya last years fire up in Tahoe made us talk to the insurance agent and too make sure we were properly insured. Talk about devastation. :rolleyes: We were slightly under insured.

Last edited:
The fires in Tahoe were terrible last year - I did'nt think we would see that there because most of those trees are healthy, mature and had little fuel below them to make the jump to the canopies - but that was a canopy fire and kept spreading.
I was in talking to our insurance guy a couple of weeks ago about putting my daughter on our auto policy(it paid off going and asking questions :>)) We took a look at my home insurance and added to the totals for protection - yet kept the cost the same by adding $1000. to the deductable. It is really comforting to know you are fully protected when smoke is in the air......

Our house was probably 400 yards from the fire line. Amazing how the fire would skip houses and burn to the ground other ones. If the wind was blowing the opposite direction that day we would have lost ours.

Woke up this morning to high winds - 25mph with 50mph gusts offshore/west blowing. This is unusual for up here(Sierra foohills).
Heard some sirens and a helicopter - went outside and there was a huge plume of dark smoke blowing over the ridge that is close to our home - after calling the neighbors to make sure they knew - the whole family scrambled to get all the pics/family video and other things that can not be replaced. We put the camper on the truck, got out the critter carriers and watched. At one point there was so much smoke that it was like dusk dark. The helicopters kept going back and forth with water and the smoke started getting whiter and less dense(wind also died down) - The news said the fire has been halted and seems to be under control.
A helicopter is flying over my house right now...I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE TAX DOLLARS BEING SPENT ON THIS ENDEAVOR(I'll remember this next time I write the tax check)!!
I am worried about this year and wild fires.....this is an early start.
I think cocktail hour will be early today -

And when tax dollars are spent on hurricanes/tornadoes/earthquakes...
All part of the big picture
(living in tornado country)

Our house was probably 400 yards from the fire line. Amazing how the fire would skip houses and burn to the ground other ones. If the wind was blowing the opposite direction that day we would have lost ours.

DW's little sister and her hubby are in South Lake Tahoe and were evacuated. When they returned, their house was OK but others only a short distance away were burned.

DW's little sister and her hubby are in South Lake Tahoe and were evacuated. When they returned, their house was OK but others only a short distance away were burned.

Small world probably seen the place. We drove around and see the after effects. Guess when you slap houses in the middle of a mountain this kind of thing can happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom