fire to NC, SC or FLA.

Yes. They are terrible. Please stay away.
;)

We have a lot of Halfbacks living in the Carolinas. Your typical NEastener moves to FL then decides to move half way back. It is getting crowded.

Now you just hush. :mad:

Too many car tags from "up north" around here already. Send 'em to Florida! :LOL:

We currently snowbird in Gulf coast FL. Have visited many other areas in FL: St. Augustine, Daytona, Panhandle, and central FL. Most of FL is now pricey for those of us from the Midwest and many of the comments here are spot on re: FL weather year around. Have also visited Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head in the last couple of years. Just curious, and looking for real estate deals.

Overall, best deals, near water, we found were on the Gulf Coast of Miss., two years ago. Hands down. However, one look at today's weather map is a good reason NOT to live there.

Thank you all this is great...and enlightening! One of the things which concerned us about SC was it felt very transient in many areas. A solid community feeling, not necessarily cloistered but stable. The idea of snowbirding has it's appeal but less so to us. Coastal NC felt more small town and Florida has an interesting mix. All the suggestions of different areas , towns etc has me thinking road trip!

I think the Carolina's have similar issues, but having gone through hurricane, nor'easters, blizzards and this year a hurricane which caused massive damage ( map actually showed it touching down on the street...cool and frightening) I think everywhere has some risks/compromises.

Nature Coast of Florida is hard to beat if you like low taxes, lots of outdoor activities and small town life. We are an hour west of the Villages, 75 minutes north of Tampa. We like to boat (power and kayak), fish, bike and hike. We looked in the Villages and it felt like a city of golf carts and crowds to us. My wife and I grew up and raised our kids up north in a small town and I suppose this is why this type of environment appeals to us.

While I snarked (good natured) on JoeWras comment, it was very accurate. NC gets a lot of halfbacks (as do several neighboring states). Some folks just can't take the heat and humidity of greater Florida. Here, near Charlotte, we have three solid seasons and just enough winter to get one or two solid snowfalls most winters.

Good luck in your search.

In the event this is required (pay attention, Midpack), this is the best pronunciation guide for NC I've seen: https://www.wral.com/nc-pronunciation-guide/10331495/

My favorite is the town of Conetoe, NC. No, it is not CONE - TOE. It is ka-NEE-tuh, of course.

Seems like all states have these tests to smoke out the visitors.
Indeed. I went to college in Indiana where they proudly mispronounce Milan, Versailles, Peru and Carmel...

I live in NC now. You may be my neighbor soon! I am now retired. I could move. I won't. Best place I've lived when all things are considered. Although the taxes are not optimal, there is more to like, although the population growth does hold some concerns.
We also have some concerns about rapid growth, especially since a lot of real estate appreciation has already taken hold. And though we’ve spent over two weeks there driving all over at all hours, locals tell us traffic/congestion is horrific, but I think that depends on what you’re used to. Can’t be any worse than Chicago over the past 25 years. Sure rush hour is bad, but that’s true with any medium to large city...

Last edited:

throw Georgia in there too. We have land in Brunswick. Close to Jacks for international Airport and Health care stuff. Close to 95 for going up east coast and a tax friendly state, at 65 you get property tax cut, no more paying for schools..

And they haven't had hurricane forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also have some concerns about rapid growth, especially since a lot of real estate appreciation has already taken hold. And though we’ve spent over two weeks there driving all over at all hours, locals tell us traffic/congestion is horrific, but I think that depends on what you’re used to. Can’t be any worse than Chicago over the past 25 years. Sure rush hour is bad, but that’s true with any medium to large city...
Not even near Chicago. Not even near the Northern Suburbs. But it is trying to get there. Just visited a sister up there and got a headache at the summer rush. I know it is worse during school.

The good news is it is still very contained to small areas for small times.

Back
Top Bottom