Firefox 4.0 - love it!

I have been using Google Search. Who do you guys recommend, (Is99)?

Would not be so bold to recommend. I use Ixquick. Suits me very well. It also has HTTPS version, which I use occasionally.

Thanks for the F11 tip. Do you have anymore?

Well, in Chrome, Control-Shift-B shows/hides your book mark bar giving a bit more space.

And I almost always hold the control key when I click a link - this opens the page in a new tab (this might vary slightly with different browsers, but all will do it AFAIK). So if that page wasn't of interest, you close it and go right back where you were w/o re-loading. I'll typically load a bunch of tabs, and then go look at 'em one at a time and close 'em as I finish. Very helpful if the pages are loading slowly, you go to the first one that's done. It drives me nuts to be working with someone on a search, and they are constantly having to hit the back button to get the next item in the search results (and then they lose the page they had). For me, that would be like saying you can only have one sheet of paper on your desk at a time, rather than two or three side-by-side to compare and scan. I don't get why people work that way.

I keep multiple windows open, with related tabs in that window. Easy to switch from one interest to the next and keep 'em all organized. Even easier in Ubuntu with its great multiple 'virtual desktop' feature. I drag each window to its own 'desktop' and keep other related files/folders/apps open there, too. 'Spaces' on the Mac justs didn't do it for me.

And save to pdf anything I might need later, in case the page changes or I can't find it. Probably a bunch more, hard to say, they are so automatic for me. Oh yeah - Once you get to a page, I often hit Control-F and the first few letters of what I'm looking for to find it faster on the page. Chrome is cool here too - it shows a little line in the scroll bar of each occurrence, for a more visual clue (in addition to the '1 of 6 found' or whatever)

-ERD50

I downloaded FF4.0 earlier today (replacing FF 3.6).

The slimmed-down tool bars are great.

I did have two issues that took time to troubleshoot. The first - I could no longer access .pdf file links. I had to upgrade to Adobe Reader 10.0 to fix this. The other was with a little "safe web site" toolbar add-on my security software placed in a spot where I couldn't close the fifth tab for an open web page. I eventually found some help on the security software site that was close enough for me to eventually stumble onto a fix.

Next objective: learning the difference between add-ons, extensions and plug-ins. :blush:

Here's an article about IE9 vs FF 4.0 vs Chrome 10 which I found interesting.

Chrome 10, Firefox 4.0, or IE9? The Browser Choice | PCMag.com

My conclusion is that it depends on what test you're running as to which one is faster. I noticed that IE9 is much much faster than IE8 but IE9 only works with Windows 7 or Vista. I was using Chrome for the last several months but just recently switched to IE9 when it was released because some things didn't work correctly for me in Chrome...like the back button in hotmail which drove me nuts. Anyway, in my experience IE9 feels as fast or faster than Chrome 10, but both are very fast compared to IE8. I can't compare them to FF 4.0 though since I haven't used that.

I also like the slimmed down toolbars in both Chrome and IE9. Once you get used to the lack of toolbars you really don't miss them.

And save to pdf anything I might need later, in case the page changes or I can't find it.
That's a good one ERD. Never crossed my mind but it is perfect for recipes, short articles, etc. I frequently copy a jpg from a page. How do you save to PDF - a feature in Chrome, FF plugin?

That's a good one ERD. Never crossed my mind but it is perfect for recipes, short articles, etc. I frequently copy a jpg from a page. How do you save to PDF - a feature in Chrome, FF plugin?

It's a built in feature of every OS I use - in the standard print dialog box there is a "Save to PDF" (Mac) or "Print to File" (Ubuntu/Linux) and it gives options for various file types , including PDF. So it works with every single program that prints, I don't need anything specific to do it at all.

I guess this can be added to Windows through a third party extension, you'd have to google that or ask a Windows user for reccs. I'm amazed it isn't built in, it's so handy.

-ERD50

It's a built in feature of every OS I use - in the standard print dialog box there is a "Save to PDF" (Mac) or "Print to File" (Ubuntu/Linux)

-ERD50
I don't use my Ubuntu PC often for browsing -- it is mainly a file and print server. Windows has print to file but I have never bothered to use it. I just tried and got an access error when I tried to save. I will have to figure out the default settings -- that may be the problem.

It's a built in feature of every OS I use - in the standard print dialog box there is a "Save to PDF" (Mac) or "Print to File" (Ubuntu/Linux) and it gives options for various file types , including PDF. So it works with every single program that prints, I don't need anything specific to do it at all.

I guess this can be added to Windows through a third party extension, you'd have to google that or ask a Windows user for reccs. I'm amazed it isn't built in, it's so handy.

-ERD50
Cutepdf (at the same web site) is a small program you download to your PC. Cutepdf then shows up in the printer list. Send a file to the Cutepdf printer and you are prompted for a file name/folder.

-- Rita

Back
Top Bottom